Q's about: Extending a non-o (based on marriage) permission to stay

I have a non-O based on marriage.  I'll get the details out of the way first.

- US passport, 3rd visa based on marriage, but I didn't realize that I could extend at immigration for 60 days to "visit family or relatives" until someone told me and I read a slightly old post about it here.

- I have been exiting and entering Thailand every 90 days.  To be honest, I don't mind that as I like to travel out of Thailand.  It's a good excuse to take a few days break from my wife.  LOL. To reiterate, I don't have 400k in a Thai bank and have no intention to do so.

- Latest visa expiration date 07 June, 2024

- Permission to stay is granted until 04 September 2024

- Immigration office is in Nonthaburi.  Wifey wants us to both go to Chaing Mai the same week that my extension of stay expires, so in this case I would choose to extend at immigration for the first time.  If I don't she is likely to "feed the ducks".

Q's:  1.  Can I just extend at immigration this week for 60 more days even though the visa is expired, or have the rules changed?  I'm not quite up to date.

2.  Does anyone have an up to date list or a link to any previous posts for what documents are needed?  I only found old ones and things rapidly change.

3.  My wife is able and willing to come with me to immigration, but of course she isn't a fan of spending a day doing it.  She prefers to stay home and mindlessly scroll through facebook and instagram or                                  whatever.   (It's funny because it's true, guys).

4.. If we sign all copies, can I send my landlord to extend on behalf of my wife and I?  She has a falang husband, knows the people at immigration, and charges me about the same as I have to pay for a round trip                   taxi while saving my time (and possibly my wife's time).  She hasn't done this exact issue for me personally, but she has done trips to immigration to report my residency before when the online system didn't work.

TIA

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You do realize that the 400k only needs to be in the bank for 2 months plus under consideration period and then can be used for living expenses.

You seem to have a very convoluted plan of living ongoing in Thailand. 

The thread link posted in first reply covers requirements etc for 60 day extension. 

Thank you. Yes, I realize that. I don’t think I have a convoluted plan at all. You are welcome to put your money in a Thai bank.  I definitely don’t trust the banks or economy here and I move currency when I feel the urge. I have no reason to lock my funds in a Thai bank for any longer than necessary.  So far, it’s worked out pretty well on currency exchange. 

I’m curious why you think I should do that in a turbulent market. It’s an option, not a requirement.  As I stated above, I don’t mind traveling and spending my money in other countries, as that is the second option. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I don’t think I have a convoluted plan at all.

If I'm reading your OP correctly you are obtaining ongoing (back to back) non O based on marriage. Where from? 

That provides a 90 day stamp.

You then do what, obtain 60 day extension to visit wife or exit to obtain another non O or....? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

I have a non-O based on marriage.  I'll get the details out of the way first.

- US passport, 3rd visa based on marriage, but I didn't realize that I could extend at immigration for 60 days to "visit family or relatives" until someone told me and I read a slightly old post about it here.

- I have been exiting and entering Thailand every 90 days. 

I take it you obtained the ME (multiple entry) Non Imm O visa last year from one of the local Thai Embassies without proof of funds.

The financial requirements have since changed, and you now require 400K in a Thai bank account for 2 months for the ME Non Imm O visa.

No different from applying for a 1-year extension of stay.

I don't have 400k in a Thai bank and have no intention to do so.

Then come November when you need to apply for a new visa, you'll find the only option without proof of funds is the single entry Non Imm O.

You can of course extend that 90 day stay for a further 60 days, then it's a trip for a new visa again, rather than the border runs you have previously been doing.

- Immigration office is in Nonthaburi.  Wifey wants us to both go to Chaing Mai the same week that my extension of stay expires, so in this case I would choose to extend at immigration for the first time.  If I don't she is likely to "feed the ducks".

If you intend using a different Immigration office than where you're currently registered, then you'd need to file a new TM30 with CM Immigration to facilitate any service.
On return to Nonthaburi, refile a further new TM30 to facilitate services there.

Q's:  1.  Can I just extend at immigration this week for 60 more days even though the visa is expired, or have the rules changed?  I'm not quite up to date.

2.  Does anyone have an up to date list or a link to any previous posts for what documents are needed?  I only found old ones and things rapidly change.

3.  My wife is able and willing to come with me to immigration, but of course she isn't a fan of spending a day doing it.  She prefers to stay home and mindlessly scroll through facebook and instagram or                                  whatever.   (It's funny because it's true, guys).

4.. If we sign all copies, can I send my landlord to extend on behalf of my wife and I?  She has a falang husband, knows the people at immigration, and charges me about the same as I have to pay for a round trip                   taxi while saving my time (and possibly my wife's time).  She hasn't done this exact issue for me personally, but she has done trips to immigration to report my residency before when the online system didn't work.

1. You could extend at Nonthaburi this week before visiting CM.

2. I'll send you a PM.

3. Wifey must attend with you.

4. No.

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If I'm reading your OP correctly you are obtaining ongoing (back to back) non O based on marriage. Where from? 

That provides a 90 day stamp.

You then do what, obtain 60 day extension to visit wife or exit to obtain another non O or....? 

Yes. Just a non-o one year multiple entry.    The latest one was issued 08 June 2023 and expired 07 June 2024. II just did border bounces every 90 days to get my permission to satay.  I haven't done any extensions at immigration.  I mostly flew to HCMC to cataract surgeries and follow ups, so extending at immigration wasn't on my mind, really.  But last time I made a trip to Savannakhet and relaxed for a few days and came back a day before my visa expired.  I met a British fella waiting for the same (delayed) bus.  He was  headed to the consulate.  Shared a tuk-tuk and met up later for some beers.  He told me I could renew my permission to stay by another 60 days at immigration.  

I came home and read a post that you had replied to @DrJack54 which confirmed that. 

The latest visa was issued in Savannakhet as a non-o multi entry one year visa on 08 June 2023.  I had a couple of them issued in HCMC, but as I understood, the got a bit salty over there.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

, I don't have 400k in a Thai bank and have no intention to do so

I don't believe you even have 400k it's only for 2 months before then you can take it out, so how do you live month to month. Of course you wife has to attend. Thai banks are reliable up to 1million you are guaranteed not to lose it, and you can get interest, once you have a years extension. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

The latest visa was issued in Savannakhet as a non-o multi entry one year visa on 08 June 2023.  I had a couple of them issued in HCMC, but as I understood, the got a bit salty over there.

As already stated, unless you can provide evidence of 400K in a Thai bank account for 2 months, then now only the single entry Non Imm O is available with no proof of funds.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I take it you obtained the ME (multiple entry) Non Imm O visa last year from one of the local Thai Embassies without proof of funds.

The financial requirements have since changed, and you now require 400K in a Thai bank account for 2 months for the ME Non Imm O visa.

No different from applying for a 1-year extension of stay.

Then come November when you need to apply for a new visa, you'll find the only option without proof of funds is the single entry Non Imm O.

You can of course extend that 90 day stay for a further 60 days, then it's a trip for a new visa again, rather than the border runs you have previously been doing.

If you intend using a different Immigration office than where you're currently registered, then you'd need to file a new TM30 with CM Immigration to facilitate any service.
On return to Nonthaburi, refile a further new TM30 to facilitate services there.

1. You could extend at Nonthaburi this week before visiting CM.

2. I'll send you a PM.

3. Wifey must attend with you.

4. No.

Thanks!  I'll check my PM's.  She's not going to like the answer to #3, but I'll make sure to serve her breakfast in bed and then just throw snacks to her at immigration.  Maybe a movie afterwards.  Throw myself down a flight of stairs, whatever it takes.  I don't want her feeding the ducks.

9 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Yes. Just a non-o one year multiple entry. 

Now I understand.

However note that the financials for multi entry non O visa has changed as outlined in @Liquorice post above.

Perhaps a better option is to obtain 12 month extensions.

If you require time to organize the funds re seasoning etc you could consider border bounce and enter visa exempt (60 days) 

The process from VE to non O and subsequent 12 month extension outlined in this thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Thanks!  I'll check my PM's.  She's not going to like the answer to #3, but I'll make sure to serve her breakfast in bed and then just throw snacks to her at immigration.  Maybe a movie afterwards.  Throw myself down a flight of stairs, whatever it takes.  I don't want her feeding the ducks.

Jeez she sounds like fun, how about tell her, you not come then you can't have anymore money, and you'll have to get a job. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I don't believe you even have 400k it's only for 2 months before then you can take it out, so how do you live month to month. Of course you wife has to attend. 

Seriously?  Come on bro.  Do you think I care if you draw conclusions to how much and where I keep my money?  It's a non-issue and way off topic.  If I had a million dollars, which I don't.  I still wouldn't put it in a Thai bank.  As I said in the OP, I enjoy travellng every 3 months, and I needed to do it anyway for surgeries.  Now I have to do an extension because  the beauty is controlling the beast.  If you want to take her place, you're gonna be the one cooking breakfast!  lol

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, keysersoze276 said:

Seriously?  Come on bro.  Do you think I care if you draw conclusions to how much and where I keep my money?  It's a non-issue and way off topic

His advice is actually spot on.

For future ME Non O you will require 400k in bank.

Otherwise get used to obtaining a NEW single entry non O every 3 months or every 5 if every single time you extend your 90 day stamp with a 60 day extension.

Talk about making simple into difficult. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Now I understand.

However note that the financials for multi entry non O visa has changed as outlined in @Liquorice post above.

Perhaps a better option is to obtain 12 month extensions.

Yeah, I get that.  What about the new rules?  I have to look into that further.  I think one can just exit and enter and get 90 days or something with the new visa plan, then I read something different, then I read something else that didn't make sense.  Um, is that better and easier than doing a marriage visa?  I have to get 2 copies of 100 different papers and leave happy when it's done, then I start crying because I feel like I am killing a rainforest.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I have to get 2 copies of 100 different papers and leave happy when it's done, then I start crying because I feel like I am killing a rainforest.

Done with trying to provide sensible advice.

If the paperwork along with wife attending immigration etc is too inconvenient then do what some married guys do....

Do extensions based on retirement.

Yes unattractive financials compared to extensions based on marriage 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

His advice is actually spot on.

For future ME Non O you will require 400k in bank.

Otherwise get used to obtaining a NEW single entry non O every 3 months or every 5 if every single time you extend your 90 day stamp with a 60 day extension.

Talk about making simple into difficult. 

I understand.  I'm not talking about the future visa.  I am asking for advice on my current visa and permission to stay.  I don't want to look into a crstal ball here, I just want to know what my options are right now.

19 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Sorry, but it seems to me you have a bigger relation problem, than problem regarding your permission to stay.

However, you have 2 options like everyone have told you. 

1. Go out, get single entry non-o, and extend 60 days based on wifey. (That might go tits up at any given time as they might refuse both issuing a lot of them as well as refusal to enter Thailand again) They call it abusing the visas and permissions to stay.

2. Put money in the bank, extend your non-o for a full year. Think that option might also fix some of your relationship issues. Maybe smaller trips and wifey more happy at the end. The best, you can take out the money and live on them, as long as you have more for next extension.

At last, you are making a big thing out of nothing. You are speaking like you are a hot shot investor or trader. But, I think not, as 400k baht can make you think so much about losing. 400k baht is, should be, nothing to a married man in Thailand.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Also, a lot of people lost their money to Thai banks a couple months ago.  Their money disappeared.  It was in the news.  I have never played that game and probably never will.

Fixed term deposit account.

No debit card, withdrawals in person only at a counter with proof of ID.

Edited by Liquorice

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Done with trying to provide sensible advice.

If the paperwork along with wife etc is too inconvenient then do what some married guys do....

Do extensions based on retirement.

Yes unattractive financials compared to extensions based on marriage 

Now we are on to retirement visas.  Ok.  I will check the requirements in about a decade.  Dude, I don't qualify for that.  What is going on with feeding frenzy?  I'm sorry if I failed at making the situation clear in the OP.  @DrJack54  Please close this thread.  Thank you all for the advice.