Advice on car purchase Toyota

9 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Thanks for all the very useful information which is sincerely appreciated.

One final question.I've read several reports that the motor sales industry is having problems and that as a consequence discounts may be available on new cars,

Is this actually true and if so does it apply to all major brands? What would a discount amount to on say a Baht 1.4m vehicle? Last time I purchased a new car in Bangkok (quite a few years ago) discounts weren't available.

It depends on how long you are prepared to wait. Sales are down by 20%. If the industry doesn't start discounting to move stock, they will probably go down further.

There are a lot of repossessions going back to Bangkok at present, something's got to give.

SALES.png

On 8/26/2024 at 4:07 PM, jayboy said:

I don't know that much about buying new cars in Thailand

Jayboy the Auctions ---IMO are a good place to get feel for the price & to buy.  Take a Thai with you --(in Issan) usually the first day its offered country wide by Video--to dealers, the top price that they offer will be what it starts at the next day for everyone to bid. I have brought there twice---- surprising how  new some of the cars are. Other then that " Baht sold" for English -and -  ขายดี  K̄hāy dī = sell good in Thai both very good for cars bikes real estate rental or buying.

A tip for verifying the age--- Pull the front seat belt fully out  on the bottom of it will be sewn a white sticker with the year on it

• 3 weeks later...

I have always bought used cars from  private sales around Bangkok and Pattaya.

This time I think I will go for a Yaris , Mazda or Suzuki Swift from a garage .2/3 years old .

My question is can you negotiate a discount  off the  asking  price and about how much  %  ?

On 8/26/2024 at 4:07 PM, jayboy said:

1.Is it courting problems to think of buying a used car in Bangkok?

I have brought 2 second hand cars, one in Bangkok, and one near Pattaya, both using the site one2one cars, both from "Tent" dealers, I have only good things to say, never had a problem with either, they have to keep their reputation, they are very good at detailing the cars they all look brand new, I always go by how many kilometers on the clock and not necessary the year, check to see if the service history is up to date, and if you notice any problems, like a worn tire point it out and the spare, jack and wheel brace is there, ask for an oil change too. Last one I brought was for the missus, and the dealer not only put it in my name for me (pink card/yellow book) but as I didn't want my wife driving it back from Pattaya, they delivered it to Koh Chang ferry bang on time the day after, not extra charge. 

On 8/26/2024 at 8:32 PM, jayboy said:

But that's exactly what's important to me.

In Thailand nobody comes close to Toyota's servicing capability.(At least that's what everybody tells me)

You'll never go wrong buying a Toyota. I've had several, and wish I could have brought my pickup here when I moved, instead of selling it. I'm sure it would still be running fine. It had right at 300, 000 miles on it when I sold it, with very little problems (no motor or trans). I've known of one owner personally that had 700,000 miles on his Toyota pickup. The 22RE motor was one of the best ever made. I also have friends who own(ed) Toyotas and rarely had any problems. When I move back to Texas, that's what I'll be looking for in a used SUV.

On 9/4/2024 at 9:05 PM, oxo1947 said:

A tip for verifying the age--- Pull the front seat belt fully out  on the bottom of it will be sewn a white sticker with the year on it

That should be in the book and the VIN Number will tell you, or do you buy cars without the book ?