Splitting Your Time Between Thailand And Another Country?

bangkoksingapore

My work had previously allowed me to stay in Thailand 10 months out of the year, but now it seems more likely that this will not be the case. At best, I will be able to spend half of my time in Thailand. I still have 7 months left on my lease at 30K/month. I dont remember if we specified or not whether we would be allowed to sublet, but I am guessing the landlord will say no. My wife and I have collected quite a bit of furniture, clothing, and other accessories. I am undecided on what to do. To continue to rent a condo in Bangkok to only stay there 1/2 of the time seems like a waste of money, however, when we return to Bangkok we will still need somewhere to stay, and what do we do with all of our possessions? It would be nice to atleast have a home 6 months of the year, so I am leaning towards buying a condominium, however my budget does not look to allow me to spend more then 4.2 million baht, and that does not seem to be enough to buy much these days. Has anyone been in a similar situation, and how did you cope?

Edited by bangkoksingapore

I would rent a condo / apartment that was cheap enough to pay for even when your not there.

This is your best solution. 30K/mo. is a waste of money in rent if you're not living there. Try to negotiate your way out of that lease. There are some centrally located apts/condos I know of that have decent 1 bedroom places for around 10k/mo.. Security, very safe, etc.. You can put all your stuff there, furnish it, hook up the phones, internet, etc.., prepay all for some months, and then leave it alone for as long as you want, and yet, always have a place to call home. You haven't mentioned your visa situation, etc., but having a permanent BKK address is essential if you want to keep your ongoing visa status.

I would rent a condo / apartment that was cheap enough to pay for even when your not there.

This is your best solution. 30K/mo. is a waste of money in rent if you're not living there. Try to negotiate your way out of that lease. There are some centrally located apts/condos I know of that have decent 1 bedroom places for around 10k/mo.. Security, very safe, etc.. You can put all your stuff there, furnish it, hook up the phones, internet, etc.., prepay all for some months, and then leave it alone for as long as you want, and yet, always have a place to call home. You haven't mentioned your visa situation, etc., but having a permanent BKK address is essential if you want to keep your ongoing visa status.

I should have wrote a DIFFERENT condo/ apartment, for you but thanks for repeating what I just said, in a much more eloquent way :o

if you haven't figured it out yet, let me spell it out for you. this government will take whatever it wants whenever it wants. so, why do you want to invest money here? you will be just giving it to them.

what with the compulsory licenses. the debacle at immigration on retirement visas. the shin saga. ...the coup.

the writing is on the wall. take, take, take, take.

haven't you noticed that foreign investment is leaving? the foreign investors can see the writing too. it won't happen overnight, but slowly, one grain at a time. when the facts hit you in the head, you become aware of the reality here.

in the philippines, you can get an extension to your visa without having to leave the country.

if you want to stay in thailand part-time, just go rent one of those places where the thais live. you can rent them for a minimum of 2 months at a time. pay your deposit, and you are set. and the rents will always be low. I mean, until the average thai makes like western wages, they will have to have a place to stay. and affordable to them. otherwise, there would be a revolution.

i have done an in depth study of the surrounding countries having visited all many, many months and even living years in some. nothing compares to thailand and that is sadly why im always back despite the hassles. each has possibilities but it in the end - it aint thailand.

food, value, thai high culture, thai pop culture, buddhist culture, lack of crime, etc...

id sell or give the furniture away and go with a serviced apt. many allow you free bag storage (mine does). when go, i pack up and store my kit saving 30k a year. no deposit or b.s.

you either have to suck it up and pay OR be free but have some hassle/instability in your life. up to you.

why are you thinking about buying when youre not even here half th eyear? just to store your gear?!

ps: if i had money, id like singapre but the booze is paeng as ar ethe flats and the golf. but its really pretty and i love all the gardens!

surely a case of a bird went in search of a cage.

I am going to be in a similar situation but in reverse. Rent or buy in one of the nicer suburbs of Bkk.

I live in Sapansoong which is 15 minutes from the new airport and 2k from where they are building a bts station as part of the airport link. I know this is not definite but it is probable. It is green and has a fantastic food market.

You can rent for 6K a month a 2 bed house or buy for around 2-3 mill.

I would ignore the Phillipine delevopment councils advice. :o

There are many good reasons to be in Thailand, not least that it is the homeland of our partners so why on earth would they want to live in the Phillipines????

And change comes and change goes. Not all business is leaving

Would not buy a condo just yet as prices look set to fall and also the baht will prob dive later on, too, so you can save loads of money by waiting the cycle out.

Bear in mind that advertised prices for condos have no relationship to the atual price paid.

And some parts of the PI are rather good (not Manila, ANgeles or Cebu, though).

Edited by gregchambers