Buying a bare shell condo

Dave0206

Hi all I'm thinking of buying a condo as the heading says completely empty. 

It is approximately 90m2 I'm not a builder nor will I be doing anything myself I only wish to make bathroom and 1 bedroom on 1 side with open plan kitchen and living area on other .I'm budgeting approximately 1.5 m for ceilings .partition wall .doors .2x ac units 2x ceiling fans.tiling  decent bathroom and kitchen including sofa tvs and fridge freezer is my budget do able for a decent standard?

3 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

is my budget do able for a decent standard?

Your budget is ok, just about. Don't get any fancy ideas.

I.e. in bathroom and kitchen there are lots of nice items available from reputable companies which cost a lot of money. It's easy to spend more than your budget. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Hopefully you aren't buying company name, they are often shells

No I don't know if I'm correct but buying in a company name scares me especially the way tax laws are changing either way its a no.

Perhaps that was humour sorry I'm a bit slow just woke up

25 minutes ago, Dave0206 said:

No I don't know if I'm correct but buying in a company name scares me especially the way tax laws are changing either way its a no.

Perhaps that was humour sorry I'm a bit slow just woke up

It's illegal but many gullible people buy all the same, they often down understand the costs

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

Hi all I'm thinking of buying a condo as the heading says completely empty. 

It is approximately 90m2 I'm not a builder nor will I be doing anything myself I only wish to make bathroom and 1 bedroom on 1 side with open plan kitchen and living area on other .I'm budgeting approximately 1.5 m for ceilings .partition wall .doors .2x ac units 2x ceiling fans.tiling  decent bathroom and kitchen including sofa tvs and fridge freezer is my budget do able for a decent standard?

Yes, I spent around 1.4m on a 100sq m condo, included stripping which you wont need everything was ripped up or pulled out and replaced, included 2 new beds and mattresses 100k  sofa 85inch telly kitchen table and chairs bed room furniture I had made, solid timber.

I spent close to 375k on a kitchen then another 275k  on 2 bathroom cabinets a cabinet for the tv and large storage cupboards plus bedroom wardrobe, joinery (cabinetry) in this country isn't cheap, I was getting quotes for joinery around 200k more, mine is sprayed enamel so its  top shelf.

The budget sounds a bit low for 90 sqm, IME it is pretty rare for any project in Thailand to come in on budget. I would add 10-20% contingency.

Good luck.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Yes, I spent around 1.4m on a 100sq m condo, included stripping which you wont need everything was ripped up or pulled out and replaced, included 2 new beds and mattresses 100k  sofa 85inch telly kitchen table and chairs bed room furniture I had made, solid timber.

I spent close to 375k on a kitchen then another 275k  on 2 bathroom cabinets a cabinet for the tv and large storage cupboards plus bedroom wardrobe, joinery (cabinetry) in this country isn't cheap, I was getting quotes for joinery around 200k more, mine is sprayed enamel so its  top shelf.

How long ago is this?

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The budget sounds a bit low for 90 sqm, IME it is pretty rare for any project in Thailand to come in on budget. I would add 10-20% contingency.

Good luck.

10 to 20% at least I'm not being told I'm completely in wrong ball park

Just now, Dave0206 said:

10 to 20% at least I'm not being told I'm completely in wrong ball park

It depends on the quality of the fixtures and fittings used. It's also important to get tradespeople who know what they are doing.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

. It's also important to get tradespeople who know what they are doing.

That's where the problem lies, they all think they do do, but rarely when it comes to looking at the results.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Good luck.

Its a condo not a house, he will cruise it in.