Thai wife applying for UK spouse visa but has a job she’s quitting

2 minutes ago, Encore said:

In a relationship with my Thai GF for 4 years.  We decided to live together in Cambodia so she quit her job with H&M fashion and we both have 12 month visas.  I pay all expenses for her and her family in Thailand who she visits regularly.  This arrangement works well for both of us with the distance meaning no unexpected family visits or interference although maintaining almost daily video calls.  Wanted her to accompany me to the UK to meet my family and see some of the South Coast.  Chose  July 2024 due to the warmer weather.  Followed the UK visa application process to the letter, as well as including additional documentation to evidence that everything was genuine and above board.  I also loaded her bank accounts to show a substantial amount of money.  

Result; rejected on the basis that she did not have a job, no income and no family ties to Thailand despite Thai bank accounts, house and land titles et al!  Appeal said the same thing and, additionally, that further applications would likely also be rejected. 

Apparently the Home Office employ people who do not think that monthly deposits from me to her Thai bank accounts, spending in Thailand, and that having house and land, as well as family in Thailand,  is a reason for her to stay in UK, which neither of us want! 

Not a happy teddy so was in the process of writing to the Minister but timed because of the election.  I will probably re-apply from Thailand next year.

Yes, when it's 'just' a gf they are pretty harsh...or can be......I found things much more straightforward once we were married.

3 minutes ago, Encore said:

In a relationship with my Thai GF for 4 years.  We decided to live together in Cambodia so she quit her job with H&M fashion and we both have 12 month visas.  I pay all expenses for her and her family in Thailand who she visits regularly.  This arrangement works well for both of us with the distance meaning no unexpected family visits or interference although maintaining almost daily video calls.  Wanted her to accompany me to the UK to meet my family and see some of the South Coast.  Chose  July 2024 due to the warmer weather.  Followed the UK visa application process to the letter, as well as including additional documentation to evidence that everything was genuine and above board.  I also loaded her bank accounts to show a substantial amount of money.  

Result; rejected on the basis that she did not have a job, no income and no family ties to Thailand despite Thai bank accounts, house and land titles et al!  Appeal said the same thing and, additionally, that further applications would likely also be rejected. 

Apparently the Home Office employ people who do not think that monthly deposits from me to her Thai bank accounts, spending in Thailand, and that having house and land, as well as family in Thailand,  is a reason for her to stay in UK, which neither of us want! 

Not a happy teddy so was in the process of writing to the Minister but timed because of the election.  I will probably re-apply from Thailand next year.

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide on Cambodia? Apart from keeping the family at bay, which is always a genius move.

29 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide on Cambodia? Apart from keeping the family at bay, which is always a genius move.

Some of the factors areL

1.  Overall cost of living.  Food can be slightly more expensive but house rental costs are a lot lower.  We stay in Siem Reap and enjoy the weekend night outs around Pub Street.

2.  Safety.  A lot less crime, no guns, knives, punch ups or manic driving so never seen any traffic accidents.

3.  Immigration.  No reporting or visiting Immigration.  Just go to a travel agent and they apply for a visa which arrives within 2 weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Encore said:

Some of the factors areL

1.  Overall cost of living.  Food can be slightly more expensive but house rental costs are a lot lower.  We stay in Siem Reap and enjoy the weekend night outs around Pub Street.

2.  Safety.  A lot less crime, no guns, knives, punch ups or manic driving so never seen any traffic accidents.

3.  Immigration.  No reporting or visiting Immigration.  Just go to a travel agent and they apply for a visa which arrives within 2 weeks.

Thanks, how about finding UK/European products, bread etc in Supermarkets, like you can in Chiang Mai, BKK, is that possible in Cambodia now?

4 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You don't know much about UK visa applications, do you?

It's very expensive and you have to pay all over again if it's rejected and if you know so much about the UK visa situation then why are you asking any questions on here.

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Yes, when it's 'just' a gf they are pretty harsh...or can be......I found things much more straightforward once we were married.

Bull crap doesn't make a difference 

3 minutes ago, arick said:

It's very expensive and you have to pay all over again if it's rejected and if you know so much about the UK visa situation then why are you asking any questions on here.

Expensive? It's as cheap as chips.

3 minutes ago, arick said:

Bull crap doesn't make a difference 

I have made well over thirty applications so I have some knowledge of the system and reposes you tend to get when applying.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Encore said:

A simple question and not sarcasm but I have been told by many farangs they pay for the girlfriend and also for her family. 

They would never do that if they were involved with a female from their own country.

Why do they do that, as I do not know of any Thai men who do that?

And would these Thai women want to be a girlfriend of the farang unless they paid for them and the family?

I have never sent a penny to my long time Thai partner's family, she has/earns her own money as do her family.

56 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

A simple question and not sarcasm but I have been told by many farangs they pay for the girlfriend and also for her family. 

They would never do that if they were involved with a female from their own country.

And would these Thai women want to be a girlfriend of the farang unless they paid for them and the family?

I have never sent a penny to my long time Thai partner's family, she has/earns her own money as do her family.

They do pay in the own country, but not in such an obvious manner.

Many do not give money to the family, although some may get drawn into it.

No they would not want to be with a poor farang.....it is a transaction not too dissimilar to the west...but more obvious here...... usually due to the age difference or due to appearance.....beautiful girl....so so looking farang.

You may well not be sending money to your Thai partner's family ....I don't.....but some families really do struggle and I guess a loving husband or partner tries to help....at least a little.

26 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

You may well not be sending money to your Thai partner's family ....I don't.....but some families really do struggle and I guess a loving husband or partner tries to help....at least a little.

I swear to God, the second I give my Thai partner money she sends it straight to her mother. I have to give her cash, so there's a chance this doesn't happen.

Obviously that is a reason why I reduced the money. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I swear to God, the second I give my Thai partner money she sends it straight to her mother. I have to give her cash, so there's a chance this doesn't happen.

I lot of her money does go back to her family....but it's her money, she earned it .....you could say I have a claim on it I guess????? Fat chance she would ever see it that way though.

Edited by Will B Good

Just now, Will B Good said:

I lot of her money does go back to her family....but it's her money, she earned it .....you could say I have a claim on it I guess????? Fat chance see would ever see it that way though.

Yes I know, if I give it to her it's "her" money then, and she can do as she pleases in theory.

But the notion that I'm effectively working and paying to maintain a woman who treated my girl quite badly, I just find it hard to accept.

2 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Yes I know, if I give it to her it's "her" money then, and she can do as she pleases in theory.

But the notion that I'm effectively working and paying to maintain a woman who treated my girl quite badly, I just find it hard to accept.

I guess my 'mind game' has always been that as I earned so much more than her.....and we lived free courtesy of the British MOD..... her money was hers to do whatever she wanted.

2 hours ago, arick said:

I didn't ask any questions.

My wife has had 2 visitor visa applications accepted at first attempt. Also a settlement visa application and FLR application accepted at first attempt.

That's how I know your comments were full of errors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I guess my 'mind game' has always been that as I earned so much more than her.....and we lived free courtesy of the British MOD..... her money was hers to do whatever she wanted.

Unfortunately I have to earn my money the hard way, so I'm a bit sensitive when it's invested in a way I'm not onboard with.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Unfortunately I have to earn my money the hard way, so I'm a bit sensitive when it's invested in a way I'm not onboard with.

I'm one of the idol rich......idol at least.....three pensions and investments plus living free still.....hard life at times.......downside is I'm stuck in bloody Isaan

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I'm one of the idol rich......idol at least.....three pensions and investments plus living free still.....hard life at times.......downside is I'm stuck in bloody Isaan

Nobody could live in Isaan unless they loved it. You probably are lording it over there like James Brooke. Private army and a throne.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Sounds like you have an amazing relationship with your wife / girlfriend.

What a life some people here lead, wow.

3 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Go troll your grannie, lonely incel

Ok. I don't have to pay my wife a salary or her family, I don't have to "reduce the payments" if I am not happy with how they are being spent.

But up to you. If you can't get a wife without paying her cash then the only incel is a lot closer to home.

As I said, what a life some people here lead, wow.

Next!

22 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Ok. I don't have to pay my wife a salary or her family, I don't have to "reduce the payments" if I am not happy with how they are being spent.

But up to you. If you can't get a wife without paying her cash then the only incel is a lot closer to home.

As I said, what a life some people here lead, wow.

Next!

Nobody gives a <deleted> about you or your family. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tony M said:

You have taken that comment totally out of context, and it should be considered as part of the whole response, the greater picture of a visit application.  I'm sure other readers recognised the correct meaning of that sentence

Brevity and context do not go together, you should be well aware that definitive statements are very rarely valid.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Brevity and context do not go together, you should be well aware that definitive statements are very rarely valid.

Why should I be well aware of that ?     Definitive statements are  very rarely valid ?  That's a pretty definitive statement in itself, isn't it ?  And wrong, without evidence, of course.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Encore said:

Sorry to hear that.  But "loading her bank accounts" was a big mistake.   If you live together in Cambodia, what is your visa status?  My Lao girlfriend had no money to her name, no job and just lived with me in Thailand, but was granted a visa as we demonstrated we lived together as a couple in Thailand, where I worked.

Appealing is a wast of time.  Address the issues made by the ECO and re-apply.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry to hear that.  But "loading her bank accounts" was a big mistake.

100%. A big red flag and very very obvious. I have done many many UK visas for girlfriend and then wife. No money in her account. You just need to be honest.

20 hours ago, Cameroni said:

Thanks, how about finding UK/European products, bread etc in Supermarkets, like you can in Chiang Mai, BKK, is that possible in Cambodia now?

Hi Cameroni,  European food products available at major supermarkets although expensive and limited selection.  In Siem Reap our go to for our weekly shopping is Angkor Market and Makro.

16 hours ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

My GF earned her own salary and paid all family expenses until we decided to live together with me supporting her because, otherwise, she and her family had no income.  Her parents are elderly and could only get piece work on an occasional basis so I funded a project by buying a small-holding for them to grow fruit and vegetables, raise chickens and have a fish pond.  This is a full-time activity keeping them busy and, as well as providing food for them, allows them to sell the excess which they are very happy with.  I also pay for her son to attend Bangkok University but this is not expensive as he was granted a scholarship after the first year.  I paid a great deal more  when married to my farang wife ...

12 minutes ago, Encore said:

Hi Cameroni,  European food products available at major supermarkets although expensive and limited selection.  In Siem Reap our go to for our weekly shopping is Angkor Market and Makro.

Hi Encore, I thought that might be the case. Have long wanted to see Cambodia. Those Bek Sloy videos really do it for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry to hear that.  But "loading her bank accounts" was a big mistake.   If you live together in Cambodia, what is your visa status?  My Lao girlfriend had no money to her name, no job and just lived with me in Thailand, but was granted a visa as we demonstrated we lived together as a couple in Thailand, where I worked.

Appealing is a wast of time.  Address the issues made by the ECO and re-apply.

We both have 12 month visas which are easy and simple to obtain.  I provided evidence that we lived together and it was accepted that we were in a long term relationship, living in Cambodia, so I am at a loss to understand why the Home Office believed that there was no incentive to leave the UK. 

Re-application probably next year from Thailand