Identifying myself during US passport renewal process

Hello all,

My US passport expires in March, so I am renewing my passport while I am on the 60-day visa exemption. I have read the directions on the US Embassy Bangkok website and various threads here (https://aseannow.com/topic/1310564-us-passport-renewal-question/https://aseannow.com/topic/1300665-us-passport-renewal-via-bangkok-mail/). So I will mail the materials to the Embassy using Thailand Post courier, as the directions instruct. I do admit that I'm anxious about putting my passport in the mail and would rather make an in-person visit to the Embassy, but I understand that this is the way it is done now. 

I do have one question that's been hard to answer, though. For at least 4-5 weeks, I will be without a passport as a tourist here. What ID should I carry in the meantime? I am going to photograph and xerox my passport information page, and the page where they stamped my 60-day exemption. Is there anything else that I haven't thought of? 

Also, just a bit random but: I have been poring over the directions on the US Embassy website but they're suddenly having technical difficulties and I can't access this important page. This really is just a glitch, right? 

Thank you  

Technical Difficulties.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade Sea Monkey said:

What ID should I carry in the meantime? I am going to photograph and xerox my passport information page, and the page where they stamped my 60-day exemption. Is there anything else that I haven't thought of? 

I'd make copies of all the pages, and carry the photo page and your current permission to stay stamp page.

I'd also make copies of the passport renewal documents, including the DS-82, and maybe the Thai Post 100 baht receipt.

This link works for me...

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Indeed, it is also working for me, using mobile, and a bit down the page are the steps. The first one is the instruction to download the pdf of the checklist, the link for the download is working.

Edited by rwilem
  • Like 1

heads up
mine took 41 days from day i sent it via ems to Bangkok till day i received it
Carry a copy ( or on ur phone) of ur front page an visa entry stamp an u will be fine

You need that to check into hotels 

God help ya if something goes wrong at 500 baht/day overstay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Renegade Sea Monkey said:

I am going to photograph and xerox my passport information page, and the page where they stamped my 60-day exemption. Is there anything else that I haven't thought of? 

Good 'nuff. Take a photo of the mailing envelope to Immigration and keep your receipt from the PO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zzzzz said:

heads up
mine took 41 days from day i sent it via ems to Bangkok till day i received it
Carry a copy ( or on ur phone) of ur front page an visa entry stamp an u will be fine

You need that to check into hotels 

God help ya if something goes wrong at 500 baht/day overstay

I check into hotels and do other stuff w/ my pink card. Some claim to use their Thai DLs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Renegade Sea Monkey said:

I do admit that I'm anxious about putting my passport in the mail and would rather make an in-person visit to the Embassy, but I understand that this is the way it is done now. 

You can still do in person at the US embassy in Bangkok. I did mine in person in Arpil. I made appt online, printed appt confirmation, downloaded DS-82 editable pdf form, filled it out, printed it, made passport pics, then went to appt. They have Thai post office at the embassy to buy return envelope so they can mail your passports back to you. They would not allow me to pick up. It took 4 weeks.

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BigStar said:

I check into hotels and do other stuff w/ my pink card. Some claim to use their Thai DLs.

dont see how it will work as they are looking at the visa

In 35+ years here never been allowed to check in ONLY with DL

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

dont see how it will work as they are looking at the visa

In 35+ years here never been allowed to check in ONLY with DL

In most cases they are only looking for official form of ID w/ address, not visa, so that's how it works. I used my pink card to check in at a hotel in BKK just two weeks ago.

In theory, hotels should be filling out a TM30 online for ALL guests.

To do that they may need your passport number and nationality. (The address of the hotel is embedded as part of the TM30 online reporting system. No other address in Thailand is required.)

As a plus one many, many times I have never, ever been asked for any details.

I'd expect that some hotels adhere to the requirements, while others may be more flexible.

Carrying a copy of the passport with the important details (photo page, stamp in, permission to stay) seems like the obvious thing to do.