Lawn mower recommendation?

Got about 0.5 rai of 'lawn'........(it looks like grass from a distance)......and it seems to need cutting every 20 mins in this weather.

Been strimming it and it is killing me.

Looking for a wide cut, gasoline mower.....pushed or driven (not sat on).

Honda seems to be the go to model over here...... would anyone care to recommend a mower/model of any make?

🍻

We have had a Honda for many years and imo it is the only reliable brand out here.

Many places to get it fixed if need to and we did replace the mowing board due to rust after about ten years.

Engine still going strong!

We modified it a bit to make it easier to turn .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

We have had a Honda for many years and imo it is the only reliable brand out here.

Many places to get it fixed if need to and we did replace the mowing board due to rust after about ten years.

Engine still going strong!

We modified it a bit to make it easier to turn .

Brilliant....just what I was wanting to hear....555....finger has been hovering of the the buy button...cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Have a Hyundai 173 cc. Works pretty well. I have almost a rai of land. Honda's are usually the best but more expensive.

Made the mistake of buying a cheap copy 'Honda' strimmer (weed whacker)......so happy to shell out this time for the real thing....cheers.

Just now, Will B Good said:

Made the mistake of buying a cheap copy 'Honda' strimmer (weed whacker)......so happy to shell out this time for the real thing....cheers.

Before this one I bought an Italian brand. When it had problems, the local mechanic couldn't find any replacement parts (nor could I). I had to borrow my neighbors weedwhacker to cut the whole yard. Took almost two hours a few times before I got the lawn mowers. A lot easier now.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Before this one I bought an Italian brand. When it had problems, the local mechanic couldn't find any replacement parts (nor could I). I had to borrow my neighbors weedwhacker to cut the whole yard. Took almost two hours a few times before I got the lawn mowers. A lot easier now.

Yes....it took me three lots of two hours sessions to cut it all down.....finished and then thought....why the hell am I using a strimmer.....doh!!!

A  proportion still requires a strimmer but the bulk can now be mown.

28 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Brilliant....just what I was wanting to hear....555....finger has been hovering of the the buy button...cheers.

One more thing,you can buy different types of mowers with a Honda engine.

Some with small wheels and some with a grass catcher,if you have just a small patch to cut i would go for the one with the grassbag but maybe you will not always need it.

We just let the clippings lay on the ground,never a problem.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yes....it took me three lots of two hours sessions to cut it all down.....finished and then thought....why the hell am I using a strimmer.....doh!!!

A  proportion still requires a strimmer but the bulk can now be mown.

I was asked by my ex why am I making a lawn. When the house was built, there was only dirt. I let the grass, and weeds, grow all over, pulling weeds daily until the grass took over (almost, still have clover). I don't like dirt being tracked into the house all day, like her mom's house has. The grass also holds the dirt down, and there isn't so much dust flying around anymore. Her cousin with buffaloes thought it would be for his buffaloes, but I cut it low. I do let him walk his buffaloes on the lawn once a week, because they get a treat with the grass. I do need a grass trimmer for the edges but I'm not really concerned much anymore as I'll be moving back to the US as soon as I can.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

We have a similar amount of grass to cut, around 250 tw.

I've had a lot of success with buying anything that has a genuine Briggs and Stratton engine, as long as you get the engine part right the rest of it is simple enough. All the frame, wheels and other bits and pieces are most generic and easy enough to repair/replace but the engine is the key. The frames often need reinforcing over the back wheels because it eventually breaks with all the twisting and turning, other things like cables, exhaust units and covers can either be discarded or replaced.

My current unit is 10 years old and due to be replaced. There's a place in Bangkok called VB Engines who are the main importer of B&S engines and their Raptor line of lawn mowers uses all standard easily available parts. As long as you change the oil frequently and reinforce the frame, 10 years life for under 20k baht is easily dooable.

https://www.raptertool.com/

https://www.raptertool.com/17550616/รถตัดหญ้าสี่ล้อเข็น

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

We have a similar amount of grass to cut, around 250 tw.

I've had a lot of success with buying anything that has a genuine Briggs and Stratton engine, as long as you get the engine part right the rest of it is simple enough. All the frame, wheels and other bits and pieces are most generic and easy enough to repair/replace but the engine is the key. The frames often need reinforcing over the back wheels because it eventually breaks with all the twisting and turning, other things like cables, exhaust units and covers can either be discarded or replaced.

My current unit is 10 years old and due to be replaced. There's a place in Bangkok called VB Engines who are the main importer of B&S engines and their Raptor line of lawn mowers uses all standard easily available parts. As long as you change the oil frequently and reinforce the frame, 10 years life for under 20k baht is easily dooable.

https://www.raptertool.com/

https://www.raptertool.com/17550616/รถตัดหญ้าสี่ล้อเข็น

Thanks I did look at the B&S as it popped up on Lazada and I already knew the name.....cheers.

• Thumbs Up 1

My 10 Stang worth, I use to work for a land scape gardening company in the Uk, use to do big warehouses on industrial estates only had Briggs and Stratton, they had a lot of use, never a problem.

As has been said, they is a supplier of spear parts, I think? Briggs and Stratton are cheaper than Honda.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kickstart said:

My 10 Stang worth, I use to work for a land scape gardening company in the Uk, use to do big warehouses on industrial estates only had Briggs and Stratton, they had a lot of use, never a problem.

As has been said, they is a supplier of spear parts, I think? Briggs and Stratton are cheaper than Honda.

Damn...now you are making me think again...555....too late gone for the Honda.....HRJ216...fingers crossed.

People who know anything about engines are either Honda or B&G fans, one is Japanese and the other American. I'm a fan of both but when it comes to cost and simplicity, B&G works for me. There are too many machines around that say they have Honda engines when many don't, the Honda label sells more easily here than B&G which is not that well known by many. The genuine Honda is around 30k as I recall and there is only one genuine model in Thailand, or so I'm told. A B&G machine is half that price with an engine that is equally as good if not better. Engine aside, most of the parts such as casing, wheels, control cables are generic so for me that's not an issue to worry about.

There's an old joke about Honda engines here where somebody asks if the engine is genuine Honda and the seller say no, not yet, but in a year or so, by the time you've replaced all the parts, it will be.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

People who know anything about engines are either Honda or B&G fans, one is Japanese and the other American. I'm a fan of both but when it comes to cost and simplicity, B&G works for me. There are too many machines around that say they have Honda engines when many don't, the Honda label sells more easily here than B&G which is not that well known by many. The genuine Honda is around 30k as I recall and there is only one genuine model in Thailand, or so I'm told. A B&G machine is half that price with an engine that is equally as good if not better. Engine aside, most of the parts such as casing, wheels, control cables are generic so for me that's not an issue to worry about.

Thanks.....it did worry me a little about counterfeits....never too sure about where these NIPPON models fit in...which seem to be direct copies of Honda????

Got the HRJ216 for 26k baht delivered.....so bitten the bullet now....cheers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Thanks.....it did worry me a little about counterfeits....never too sure about where these NIPPON models fit in...which seem to be direct copies of Honda????

Got the HRJ216 for 26k baht delivered.....so bitten the bullet now....cheers.

I'm sure it will work out just fine, well done.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I'm sure it will work out just fine, well done.

Thanks.....wife has just rushed over and shouted ...what have you bought?

She thought I was buying her a dining table...555

Edited by Will B Good
  • Haha 1

I was told that Honda stopped making the entire lawnmower a few years ago, hence Honda engine but third party other parts. I am in Chiang Mai and like the Rapter but don’t want to send a Rapter back to Bangkok. Any suggestions for CM on a place I can get service without shipping?