Four routes under consideration for Koh Chang Bridge

kcbridge.png

The Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT) has initiated a series of public hearings regarding the proposed bridge connecting the mainland to Koh Chang Island, a popular destination in Trat province. The first hearing, held today, September 2, in Mueang district, garnered widespread support from locals and business owners.

Participants expressed a strong preference for the bridge to guide travellers through the Mueang district, emphasising the potential economic benefits of this business hub in eastern Thailand. Two of the proposed routes align with this request, which would facilitate increased commerce and tourism in the area.

Additionally, attendees advocated for a lower bridge toll compared to current ferry fares, the inclusion of lanes for motorcycles and bicycles, and scenic viewpoints at both ends of the bridge. EXAT representatives acknowledged these suggestions and confirmed that the bridge’s design would consider economic growth for Trat’s marquee island.

EXAT Deputy Governor Katpachon Udomthampakdee highlighted that the bridge would enhance accessibility for both visitors and Koh Chang residents, improving travel to essential services such as schools and hospitals on the mainland. Trat Governor Nathapong Sa-nguanchit assured that local stakeholders are fully supportive of the project.

The four proposed bridge routes involve several potential starting points on the mainland and the island.

The first route is proposed to start at the 0.85-kilometre marker on Highway 3156 in Ban Nong Prue village, Laem Ngop district, this 9.82-kilometre route would connect to the island at the 8.55-kilometre marker on Road 10026 in Ban Dan Mai.

The second route, also beginning at the 0.85-kilometre marker on Highway 3156, this 9.95-kilometre route would land at the 6.75-kilometre marker on Road 10026 in Ban Dan Mai.

The third route is proposed to start at the 2.84-kilometre marker on Road 4006 in Ban Thammachat Lang, Laem Ngop district, the 5.90-kilometre route would reach the island at the 5.30-kilometre marker on Road 10026 in Ban Dan Mai.

The final route is proposed to begin at the 3.50-kilometre marker on Road 4006 in Ban Thammachat Lang, this 5.59-kilometre route would land at the 1.90-kilometre marker on Road 10026 in Ban Khlong Son.

All four routes are proposed to be elevated, ensuring sufficient clearance for maritime traffic, and will be constructed to minimise environmental impact on the coral and seagrass around Koh Chang. Construction is scheduled to commence in 2029, with the bridge expected to open in 2033, reported Bangkok Post.

By Ryan Turner

Image courtesy of EXAT

Source: The Thaiger

2024-09-02

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, topt said:

Can anybody tell me where the current ferry route is compared to these proposed bridges?

I think it's the green line on the map shown.  But it's hard to compare that to Google maps. 

The definition on the shown map is terrible. 

If they ever build these bridges, to Chang or Samui, I may even pop over for a visit.   Not a fan of ferries, or either island.   But if the made it easier ... might be worth the drive if in the neighborhood.

Obvious choice would be one of the 6 km routes, vs 10 km bridge.

Edited by KhunLA

56 minutes ago, topt said:

Can anybody tell me where the current ferry route is compared to these proposed bridges?

There are two ferries but the Centre point one is very limited to 4 a day, (before Covid it was one every hour, is a lot closer to Trat, and the Immigation Office. but they leave when on time of their Time table, western toilet, smiling staff, 50% discount membership card 200b pa.     Thammachat take ages to load, squeeze/pack in as many as they can to a point you are trapped in your car and only leave when full, only have squat toilet, up a steep flight of stairs. Take a pee bottle is my advise. 

IMG_20240903_095232-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.81ad15c63758d5d4d96a139a27dfddeb.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If they ever build these bridges, to Chang or Samui, I may even pop over for a visit.   Not a fan of ferries, or either island.   But if the made it easier ... might be worth the drive if in the neighborhood.

Obvious choice would be one of the 6 km routes, vs 10 km bridge.

You won't be missed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

There are two ferries but the Centre point one is very limited to 4 a day, (before Covid it was one every hour, is a lot closer to Trat, and the Immigation Office. but they leave when on time of their Time table, western toilet, smiling staff, 50% discount membership card 200b pa.     Thammachat take ages to load, squeeze/pack in as many as they can to a point you are trapped in your car and only leave when full, only have squat toilet, up a steep flight of stairs. Take a pee bottle is my advise. 

IMG_20240903_095232-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.81ad15c63758d5d4d96a139a27dfddeb.jpg

Thanks for the clarification (and boat detail) as the original map was pretty much unreadable to me.

It has been about 10 years since I was last there and went a couple of times. The crossing from memory is not that long so unless you are taken short (or have had to queue for ages going back) there should be no need to avail yourself of the facilities.....but useful to be aware of.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, topt said:

Thanks for the clarification (and boat detail) as the original map was pretty much unreadable to me.

It has been about 10 years since I was last there and went a couple of times. The crossing from memory is not that long so unless you are taken short (or have had to queue for ages going back) there should be no need to avail yourself of the facilities.....but useful to be aware of.

That is the problem there Are long queues especially on long weekends, you can queue for 3+ hours on leaving, it backs up a long way, I have seen it backed up the 'Mountain'. 

This is the current Centre Point Ferry time table, but you may need to ring to make sure it's running, You can just drive past the Queue Hazards on to CenterPoint. at the moment leaving Koh Chang drive straight on, and pay the other side, hardly ever a Queue.

Top Secret

IMG_20230511_091346(2).jpg.3ca98e261a6639e9449a723db8b1789f.jpg

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

That is the problem there Are long queues especially on long weekends, you can queue for 3+ hours on leaving, it backs up a long way, I have seen it backed up the 'Mountain'. 

This is the current Centre Point Ferry time table, but you may need to ring to make sure it's running, You can just drive past the Queue Hazards on to CenterPoint. at the moment leaving Koh Chang drive straight on, and pay the other side, hardly ever a Queue.

Top Secret

IMG_20230511_091346(2).jpg.3ca98e261a6639e9449a723db8b1789f.jpg

are they still using the rickety old ferries

26 minutes ago, steve187 said:

are they still using the rickety old ferries

Yes, river ferries from china, apparently, Centre point are the worst, but they are all under constant repairs, it's the rust keeping that's them together just paint over it no probs, as the Ozzys would say "She'll be right mate" shame they couldn't use the money on them, instead of millions wasted on bridge feasibility studies. I still doubt any of those involved have even been here, just sit in their offices coming up with plans, this must be at least the third such 'study' they are getting very rich.