Gas Explosion in Chiang Mai Restaurant: One Injured, Extensive Damage

Georgealbert

IMG_5203.jpeg

Pictures from responders.

A gas explosion rocked a small restaurant in the Santitham area of Chiang Mai on the afternoon of September 5, resulting in a fire that mostly destroyed the establishment. One person sustained injuries in the incident and was promptly taken to a nearby hospital.

The explosion occurred around 13:45 at the “made-to-order” restaurant located in Soi Ratchaphruek, Chang Phueak Subdistrict, Mueang Chiang Mai District. According to initial reports, the fire started when a gas cylinder inside the restaurant ignited and exploded while food was being prepared. The resulting blaze quickly engulfed the entire building, and a nearby motorcycle was also damaged.

Local administrative authorities, along with firefighting teams, rushed to the scene immediately after the explosion. Firefighters worked swiftly to contain the flames, successfully bringing the fire under control within 25 minutes. Despite their rapid response, the restaurant was severely damaged by the fire.

One individual, who sustained burn injuries during the explosion, was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment. Authorities have confirmed that the victim is in stable condition and receiving appropriate medical care.

The extent of the damage is still being assessed, though early indications suggest significant losses for the restaurant owner. Officials from relevant agencies are currently conducting a thorough investigation to determine the exact cause of the explosion.

IMG_5189.jpeg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-06

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

According to initial reports, the fire started when a gas cylinder inside the restaurant ignited and exploded while food was being prepared.

I doubt the gas cylinder 'Ignited', I would suspect the fire started elsewhere from a leaking hose, lose valve connection or other means, then the heat of the fire made the cylinder explode. Cylinders do not just blow back, otherwise cigarette lighters would explode when you lit them.  Basic LPG knowledge.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt the gas cylinder 'Ignited', I would suspect the fire started elsewhere from a leaking hose, lose valve connection or other means, then the heat of the fire made the cylinder explode. Cylinders do not just blow back, otherwise cigarette lighters would explode when you lit them.  Basic LPG knowledge.

I'm certain that your smug, pompous statements will make the injured parties feel much better. 

I am so relieved that we've cleared that up.  Or, and this is just a random thought, perhaps the original author isn't a native English speaker and the method used to translate the original words describing the event suggested the English word "ignite".  

(Incidentally, for someone with such a keen grasp of "basic knowledge", perhaps you should learn how to spell the word "loose", not randomly capitalize words like ignited in the middle of sentences, or construct run-on sentences.)

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

I'm certain that your smug, pompous statements will make the injured parties feel much better. 

I am so relieved that we've cleared that up.  Or, and this is just a random thought, perhaps the original author isn't a native English speaker and the method used to translate the original words describing the event suggested the English word "ignite".  

(Incidentally, for someone with such a keen grasp of "basic knowledge", perhaps you should learn how to spell the word "loose", not randomly capitalize words like ignited in the middle of sentences, or construct run-on sentences.)

Don't disagree with you but from 1st hand experience it sounds like the LPG in the cylinder did a 'BLEVE' most likely from being exposed from an adjacent gas flame. Quite common here.

The reported description of an explosion, was what witnesses described.

I believe there was initial LPG/air mix explosion, caused by a leak from the somewhere in the LPG cooking system. That leaking LPG mixed with air, reached the flammable range, and found an ignition source, probably the cooking flame and there was a small bang and fire ball. The fire then continued to burn, fuelled by both the leaking LPG and combustible fittings.

There was no BLEVE, as the damage was too limited, and the CCTv courtesy of One News confirms that.

Many establishents use old pattern gas regulators on their LPG cylinders. If a hose connected to an appliance develops a leak gas continues to flow. Gas regulators with a safety valve are available which cut off the supply from the bottle should a leak develop in the sopply line. They are more expensive but not as much as the cost of fire recovery. 

• Agree 1