Schengen Visa Question

My Thai family have visited the uk on many occasions and we are travelling again in a few months. This time we are thinking of going to the Schengen area for a week also (not sure where yet).

Would they need to have the usual uk visitor vis in place first before applying for Schengen, or is it totally seperate and can be done before or after the uk application?

TIA

On 9/6/2024 at 6:42 AM, PST said:

My Thai family have visited the uk on many occasions and we are travelling again in a few months. This time we are thinking of going to the Schengen area for a week also (not sure where yet).

Would they need to have the usual uk visitor vis in place first before applying for Schengen, or is it totally seperate and can be done before or after the uk application?

TIA

Yes, as mentioned above, totally different procedure. You need to apply from homeland – i.e., Thailand – and it likely has to be for a tourist visa, when no one is living in Schengen and invites. Normally you shall apply Schengen visa for the country of longest stay or country of entry. When I applied for my Thai girlfriend – or rather, she applied, as I had already moved to Thailand – the requirements was a full agenda for the entire stay, booked tickets in and out, confirmed hotel reservations, travel insurance and that the applicant has own required funds for the trip (show bank account). However, check present requirements, as it's a few year ago we applied for Schengen visa.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. So as I am the sponsor for my families UK trips, its similar paperwork that I need to provide for their Schengen application?.

I'm thinking to get the UK visas in place first, then apply for Schengen straight after, so at least then they can see travel history for UK over past 10 years.

Is the rule about having to enter the Country that you got the Schengen for first implemented, or could you say apply at the Itailan Embassy, but enter say Netherlands first?.

On 9/6/2024 at 11:42 AM, PST said:

TIA

Yes the 2 visas are separate entities, unfortunately now out of the EU Brits have to pay for family Schengen visas, I was about 4500 baht for the visa and VFS fees earlier this year.

I would suggest getting the UK visa first, it is a bit more involved and takes longer. I have done 4 Schengen visas for my wife and they are relatively straightforward.

In May we went to UK for a month and during that time had about 10 days in Europe. Went across on the Eurostar and on to Luxembourg. Spent 6 days going along the Mosel valley to Koblenz and then back to Brussels.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PST said:

Is the rule about having to enter the Country that you got the Schengen for first implemented, or could you say apply at the Itailan Embassy, but enter say Netherlands first?.

You seem to be mistaken. You are supposed to get the visa from the country where you intend to spend the most time. I got it from Germany although the itinerary was to enter in Belgium.

I wouldn't do that again even for the same itinerary, the German visa application is a bit different to the others and I would try and avoid that VFS office.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You seem to be mistaken. You are supposed to get the visa from the country where you intend to spend the most time. I got it from Germany although the itinerary was to enter in Belgium.

I wouldn't do that again even for the same itinerary, the German visa application is a bit different to the others and I would try and avoid that VFS office.

What I meant was, we may only be going to one country, so if i applied at the Italian embassy and was approved, could i then enter another Schengen country first, or would it have to be Italy?

When applying for a Schengen visa, you should submit your application to the consulate of the country where you will spend the longest time.

If travelling around and your stays are equal in each country you should apply to one in which you first land.

3 minutes ago, PST said:

What I meant was, we may only be going to one country, so if i applied at the Italian embassy and was approved, could i then enter another Schengen country first, or would it have to be Italy?

No problem with that at all. Your itinerary would show Italy as being the main destination so you could arrive anywhere and then make your way to Italy.

You could be in a similar scenario to myself and be travelling by train to Italy.

Bottom line is they don't want to be issuing Schengen visas from a country you may only be passing through.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the replies. A previous poster mentioned having confirmed flights and accommodation, i presume they can be booked under a refundable/ cancellation policy incase visa is rejected?

1 hour ago, PST said:

or could you say apply at the Itailan Embassy, but enter say Netherlands first?.

You're not supposed to, but it is possible. Most of my Schengen visa applications were made at an embassy which was most convenient for me at the time of application, many times art embassies of countries that were not on the travel plans.

For the latest trip a couple of years ago I had to apply through VFS. Tried applying to country 1. VSF staff told me I'm missing a document I couldn't get (something irrelevant regarding COVID even though it was after all COVID restrictions were lifted). So I then told them I want to apply for country 2 for which I didn't need that COVID document. Got the visa and then flew to country 3 which was my original plans destination.

Upon arrival to country 3 I was asked by the IO why I applied for a visa for country 2 and came directly to country 3.i just said I changed my plans and was stamped in.

4 hours ago, PST said:

A sponsor can show the funds, correct?

Not any more, to my experience and knowledge. Both when I has visitor visa for my girlfriend and later when she had tourist visa, she needed to show her own funds. There is a specific amount per day, depending on type of visa.

5 hours ago, PST said:

Thanks again for the replies. A previous poster mentioned having confirmed flights and accommodation, i presume they can be booked under a refundable/ cancellation policy incase visa is rejected?

You normally need to show ticket, insurance and accommodation details when the applicant picks up the visa; however, it might be slightly different rules from country to country. I can only speak for my Danish home country, where accommodation had to pre prepaid, if not private. In the latter case the host needs to provide further details upon request, which also extend the time for approval of visa.

• Like 1

There are a number of rules that apply to all Member States that have been correctly quoted by other forum members, but whether they are uniformly applied is another issue.

There is certainly a rule that applicants must apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for the main destination, if the applicant intends to spend an equal amount of time in more than one Member State then they should apply via the Consulate with jurisdiction for the point of entry into the Schengen Area. l have certainly come access instances of this being rigorously applied at the application stage, and am aware that some Consulates have clamped down on so call “visa shopping” whereby applicants try to apply via Consulates who are deemed to be more relaxed with applications. I have no experience of how this is applied at borders.

There used to be a rule that if applicants were traveling on to a non Schengen Country after their proposed Schengen visit, then they should apply for that visa first, and provide details of travel. During a look this morning l couldn’t find the rule, that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

Regarding the cash requirement, l don’t think that it has to be in the sole name of the applicant, in the case of Visa Nationals, if it did how would married couples prove it if one was a stay at home spouse. In recent applications to The Netherlands and Denmark, my wife’s visas were granted after only my financial details being supplied.

The OP might want to bare in mind the new electronic entry system being rolled out for non EU travellers in the near future.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your helpful information. As I sponsor my families UK visa and have done for the past 10 years, I will try to include all the same financial information in the Schengen application. We will most definitely be only visiting one country due to time restrictions.

Are there any Embassy's that are 'easier' to gain the visa from......?

47 minutes ago, PST said:

Thanks for all your helpful information. As I sponsor my families UK visa and have done for the past 10 years, I will try to include all the same financial information in the Schengen application. We will most definitely be only visiting one country due to time restrictions.

Are there any Embassy's that are 'easier' to gain the visa from......?

You don't have the choice, if you are visiting just one country then you apply to the embassy (or more likely an agent like VfS/BLS) for that country.

Please note that ALL bookings (flight, hotels)  need to show the applicants name. The applicant will need to evidence the required funds required for that country ie:-

To enter Spain, travelers must show that they have enough money to support themselves during their stay. The amount required depends on the length of the stay and is as follows:

10 days or less: Travelers must have 90% of the minimum wage for 10 days, which is €900.

More than 10 days: Travelers must have €70.77 per day

Bank statements/certification will be required. You cannot act as sponsor as with UK visas.

You will need to get the UK visa first because you will no doubt be entering from/returning to the UK,

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, PST said:

These days nearly all Schengen visas have to be done by VFS and if they accept the documents then the visa is virtually guaranteed.

That being said I try as much as possible to use refundable options in travel arrangements, you never know what may arise and flexability can be a great asset. It is certainly not an issue in respect of the visa application.

16 hours ago, PST said:

A sponsor can show the funds, correct?

Indeed, I never submitted any documents regarding my wife. Just stated in the sponsor letter that we would be travelling together and I would meet all costs involved.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

You don't have the choice, if you are visiting just one country then you apply to the embassy (or more likely an agent like VfS/BLS) for that country.

Please note that ALL bookings (flight, hotels)  need to show the applicants name. The applicant will need to evidence the required funds required for that country ie:-

To enter Spain, travelers must show that they have enough money to support themselves during their stay. The amount required depends on the length of the stay and is as follows:

10 days or less: Travelers must have 90% of the minimum wage for 10 days, which is €900.

More than 10 days: Travelers must have €70.77 per day

Bank statements/certification will be required. You cannot act as sponsor as with UK visas.

You will need to get the UK visa first because you will no doubt be entering from/returning to the UK,

Thanks, so for Spain, I cannot act as a sponsor, even though my families name will be on all the bookings, but other Schengen countries I can?. Is there a definitive list of which countries accept sponsors?.

Have any other posters experienced any non sponsor countries?

Edited by PST

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

That is not true.

I submitted 6 documents in respect of sponsorship and no financial documents in respect of the applicant were submitted.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

That is not true.

I submitted 6 documents in respect of sponsorship and no financial documents in respect of the applicant were submitted.

For Spain?

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Post-Brexit?

For which country ?

March this year for Germany, but been that way for a long time.

In over 20 visa applications for UK, Europe, Canada and China there has never been a financial document submitted with my wife's name on it.

4 hours ago, PST said:

For Spain?

No, it was for Germany but the requirements are fairly common to the EU in general. The document checklist for Italy can be found here

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/italy/thailand/english/pdf/checklist_tourist_2024.pdf

Note item 11.

Your comment about easier embassies/consulates is a bit irrelevant, the main hurdle is the VFS staff. The VFS German office is at Chamchuri Square and handles some other countries but don't think Italy was one of them, not sure where that is. Chamchuri Square is relatively new and massive, a beaurocratic nightmare. With luck Italy may be one of the more established and smaller offices. 

As a historical note, some years ago the Germans had their own way of handling Schengen visa applications using software called Videx. The system was flawed in that it could not differentiate between EU family members and standard applicants. I reported the Bangkok German Embassy to SOLVIT and the EU commission ruled in my favour, the German embassy had to start accepting manual applications from family members of EU citizens. When I did the German visa earlier this year they were still using Videx in a modified form, but most other countries use a standard format for the application.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PST said:

Thanks, so for Spain, I cannot act as a sponsor, even though my families name will be on all the bookings, but other Schengen countries I can?. Is there a definitive list of which countries accept sponsors?.

Have any other posters experienced any non sponsor countries?

Bit confused about Spain, thought you said you were planning Italy.

I did the first Schengen visa at that VFS office, only problem was that the girl behind the desk couldn't find Tenerife on a map of Spain.

It looks like Spain ditched VFS and are using another VAC from anothe company called BLS.

Never heard of them but a quick Google shows the checklist here

https://thailand.blsspainvisa.com/assets/pdf/Checklist-Tourism-Family.pdf

Items 9 & 12 refer to sponsor.

Edited by sandyf

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Bit confused about Spain, thought you said you were planning Italy.

I did the first Schengen visa at that VFS office, only problem was that the girl behind the desk couldn't find Tenerife on a map of Spain.

It looks like Spain ditched VFS and are using another VAC from anothe company called BLS.

Never heard of them but a quick Google shows the checklist here

https://thailand.blsspainvisa.com/assets/pdf/Checklist-Tourism-Family.pdf

Items 9 & 12 refer to sponsor.

Thanks very much. As i mentioned in my original post, we are undecided where  to go at present, but Spain and Italy do appeal along with Netherlands,

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, PST said:

Thanks very much. As i mentioned in my original post, we are undecided where  to go at present, but Spain and Italy do appeal along with Netherlands,

A late friend of mine had his Thai girlfriend in the UK and she got a Schengen visa to go to Amsterdam from London Embassy. It should be done in home country but the Handbook does indicate circumstances for the visa to be issued elsewhere, mainly on a last minute basis.

They had booked a highly discounted package and applied on the grounds that it wasn't available before she left Thailand, accepted without much question.

Not an option I would advocate but always worth bearing in mind if you are into taking a chance.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A late friend of mine had his Thai girlfriend in the UK and she got a Schengen visa to go to Amsterdam from London Embassy. It should be done in home country but the Handbook does indicate circumstances for the visa to be issued elsewhere, mainly on a last minute basis.

They had booked a highly discounted package and applied on the grounds that it wasn't available before she left Thailand, accepted without much question.

Not an option I would advocate but always worth bearing in mind if you are into taking a chance.

We live in, and will be applying from Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, PST said:

We live in, and will be applying from Thailand.

Certainly the best option.

Maybe I didn't word it right but the lady I referred to lived in Thailand, just in the UK on a visitor visa.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

March this year for Germany, but been that way for a long time.

In over 20 visa applications for UK, Europe, Canada and China there has never been a financial document submitted with my wife's name on it.

Thank you.

We are not married and I was led to believe that I could not submit myself as sponsor - in the way I do for UK visas. It is an unnecessary pain in the butt having to load my partner's account up with 150,000 Baht for a few days.