Govt Says 'methadone' Cannot Be Legalised

george

Govt says 'methadone' cannot be legalised

BANGKOK: -- The drug, 'methadone' used in the treatment of drugs addicts cannot be legalised in Thailand, the Public Health Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan announced.

The government’s policy on all matters related to drugs users must conform with the law, she told TNA on Wednesday.

"The government has amended the law so that drugs addicts and drugs users are to be treated as patients, not offenders as in the past, and they will be rehabilitated. But the government has a clear policy that all drugs-related groups and activities must be under the law. So we cannot legalise the use of methadone," she said.

"Even drugs traders must abide by the law," she added.

Mrs. Sudarat was responding to calls by non-governmental organisations (NGOs), both in Thailand and abroad, that Thailand should amend its law and legalise the use of 'Methadon' -- a substance that is used as a substitute drug in the curing of addicts.

The NGOs have also called for the government to allow drugs addicts and users to be able exchange their old syringes for new ones to reduce the possible transmission of HIV.

The Thanyarak Hospital in Bangkok has become a centre for the use of 'methadon' in the treatment of drugs addicts, the minister told journalists.

Addicts and users will be treated in drug-rehabilitation centres, including the exchange of syringes, if they sought assistance and were admitted to the centres, she said.

-- TNA 2004-07-15

hi'

not leagal but given is so many clinics who makes money on people in distress! Thai way to hide a hudge problem ...

Thai way to say drug addicts can die ... mai pen rai :D

francois

ps; being aware of this problem years ago because some ask me help as I have a professional nurse-card ...

found out that at least a dozen of money-makers clinics run this "dirty" bussiness !

for quite a long time ... the methadone was diluted and so not efficient :o

problem is going on coz Thai people don't feel safe to go to the "so-called" drug-rehabilitation centres :D

Edited by francois

"The government has amended the law so that drugs addicts and drugs users are to be treated as patients, not offenders as in the past, and they will be rehabilitated. But the government has a clear policy that all drugs-related groups and activities must be under the law. So we cannot legalise the use of methadone," she said.

Well, ever thought about changing the law again Khun Sudarat? Your government spends millions of baht to fly MPs abroad to inform themselves about health industry in developed countries. You are not going to tell us that they didn't learn anything at all I hope... :o

I had a friend start on the program perhaps 10 years ago in Aust. Last time I saw (forget when, but must be in the last 5 years) he was still on it :o

Does methadone actually help?