NVMe vs SSD - Hands on experience?

ravip

6 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

With the proper interface to the main computer bus, NVME is the fastest.

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

Thank you for your response. 

Also, I would like to know the reliability, cost etc for a normal home PC running the basic software. Especially by someone who has used both types.

13 minutes ago, ravip said:

Thank you for your response. 

Also, I would like to know the reliability, cost etc for a normal home PC running the basic software. Especially by someone who has used both types.

There is no one answer to your question, other than, it depends...

Someone recommending a Samsung Pro SSD for a normal home PC running the basic software, is likely making a tongue in cheek comment. But if the budget permits.... But you haven't even stated a budget.

Your question is too vague, especially with no spec stated for the PC. Most people won't have tested either choice on an identical machine. Better you look at YouTube videos for your answer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ravip said:

Any comments or recommendations?

Is NVMe better than SSD?

For the fastest data transfer speeds available, look no further than the NVMe SSD. Through its Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe) bus, NVMe SSDs can achieve transfer speeds of up to 20 gigabytes per second (Gbps)—more than three times the speed of a SATA SSD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Is NVMe better than SSD?

For the fastest data transfer speeds available, look no further than the NVMe SSD. Through its Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe) bus, NVMe SSDs can achieve transfer speeds of up to 20 gigabytes per second (Gbps)—more than three times the speed of a SATA SSD

Can, but users won't notice much difference or if so it won't matter. I ended up putting my large games on the NVMe M.2.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Is NVMe better than SSD?

NVMe IS SSD 😊 

Is NVMe better than SATA SSD...was the question that you meant to pose. But your reply didn't address the question from the OP as to reliability, cost..

But given the choice from a 1TB Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD for 3000 baht or a Samsung 980 Pro as suggested earlier, for 3690 baht. I would go for the NVMe.

https://www.samsung.com/th/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/980-pro-1tb-nvme-pcie-gen-4-mz-v8p1t0bw/

It depends on the device and the price point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NowNow said:

NVMe IS SSD 😊 

Is NVMe better than SATA SSD...was the question that you meant to pose. But your reply didn't address the question from the OP as to reliability, cost..

But given the choice from a 1TB Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD for 3000 baht or a Samsung 980 Pro as suggested earlier, for 3690 baht. I would go for the NVMe.

https://www.samsung.com/th/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/980-pro-1tb-nvme-pcie-gen-4-mz-v8p1t0bw/

It depends on the device and the price point.

Is NVMe better than SATA SSD...was the question that you meant to pose. - Exactly. Thank you for the clarification.

Thank you very much for all the helpful info & tips.

I think my friend will be happy with a SATA SSD. His PC is not a very high end model, just a HP Pavilion, and he doesn't use any resource demanding software.

Thank you all of you for your quick responses.

• Thumbs Up 1