The process I went through to get a Non O Marriage through evisa Canberra Australia

I live in Australia with my Thai wife(married in Australia) 

I have lived in Thailand on a Non O retirement and have moved back to Australia for a few years

I have previously had a Non O marriage(3 months) granted by the Sydney consulate but as I live in Brisbane Queensland this year have used the new Evisa portal with Canberra embassy as the granting Authority

I like getting Non O over visa exempt as I have bank accounts and property in Thailand and need to change or update them On visits

I applied on the new Evisa portal and found that all I needed was a pdf or Jpeg of my Passport(which once uploaded fills in the personal data), proof of address(my superannuation statement), marriage certificate(Brisbane registry), proof of funds(my Australian share portfolio showing over the equivalent of 400k THB) my wife's ID card and a photo of myself.

I filled in the online form listing my flights already booked 

It was very easy and not particularly detailed

I then submitted it where it sat in document check status for 7 days, then pending approval for another 7 days

Then approved at 2 weeks

Where I was sent a email containing a pdf of the visa grant which is in English except for the remarks line which states in Thai : "Thai spouse"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The actual category on the Evisa site is visiting Thai family, so on this years trip back to Buriram I'm going to see immigration there on whether its able to be extended as a retirement extension or as a marriage extension

23 minutes ago, Ralphanous said:

The actual category on the Evisa site is visiting Thai family, so on this years trip back to Buriram I'm going to see immigration there on whether its able to be extended as a retirement extension or as a marriage extension

Most likely not.

The first extension from a non O should be based what the non O was. In your case on marriage.

Subsequent extensions can be based on retirement 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Most likely not.

The first extension from a non O should be based what the non O was. In your case on marriage.

As always that would depend on the office. I always obtained a non O based on marriage, a few times, and always extended them based on retirement.

To obtain a visa based on retirement I would have had to go to Wellington, as the Consulate in Auckland only gave non O based on marriage.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To obtain a visa based on retirement I would have had to go to Wellington, as the Consulate in Auckland only gave non O based on marriage.

You can enter visa exempt to Thailand and obtain a non O retirement at your local immigration office. OR obtain a non O retirement at a Thai consulate.

Which immigration office allowed the first extension to be made based on retirement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Most likely not.

I agree , there is a category in the Evisa system that allows you to get a initial 3 month Non O retirement with the requirement of a pension(I'm thinking 800K in my Thai bank might suffice) and of course the Non OA which I don't want

So i'm going to see what the IO says at Buriram, a friend has just done his extension there and says they were easy to deal with(I used to live in jomtien and used Chonburi)

I regard the marriage extensions as too much hassle and am happy when I come back to just use 800K

9 minutes ago, Ralphanous said:

I agree , there is a category in the Evisa system that allows you to get a initial 3 month Non O retirement with the requirement of a pension(I'm thinking 800K in my Thai bank might suffice) and of course the Non OA which I don't want

So i'm going to see what the IO says at Buriram, a friend has just done his extension there and says they were easy to deal with(I used to live in jomtien and used Chonburi)

I regard the marriage extensions as too much hassle and am happy when I come back to just use 800K

As you're happy to do 'retirement' please note you don't need a pension to get the non-imm O retirement e-visa from Canberra (or Sydney). I applied in March and it was much simpler than what you had to do for the marriage.

Simply had to upload Passport ID page, digital Pic, drivers licence and an Aussie bank statement with equivalent 800k baht. I got mine issued in 3 days 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

As you're happy to do 'retirement' please note you don't need a pension to get the non-imm O retirement e-visa from Canberra (or Sydney). I applied in March and it was much simpler than what you had to do for the marriage.

Simply had to upload Passport ID page, digital Pic, drivers licence and an Aussie bank statement with equivalent 800k baht. I got mine issued in 3 days 

Cheers mate, great to know , I'm going back for good next year 

I prefer to arrive on a visa and then just do a extension

3 minutes ago, Ralphanous said:

I'm going back for good next year 

I prefer to arrive on a visa and then just do a extension

In that case obtain the non O retirement in Oz and upon entry to Thailand you will be given a 90 day stamp.

In the last 30 days apply for the 12 month extension.

I'm also Oz and use WISE to transfer funds to Thai bank account.

If you can park 800k all year round that's a good option. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2024 at 8:25 PM, DrJack54 said:

You can enter visa exempt to Thailand and obtain a non O retirement at your local immigration office. OR obtain a non O retirement at a Thai consulate.

Which immigration office allowed the first extension to be made based on retirement. 

Chiang Mai a couple times. Not the same visa.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Chiang Mai a couple times. Not the same visa.

Not the norm.

If first extension from a non O marriage then immigration might allow extension based on retirement as it's more easy for them.

However not the norm.