BBC Accused of Bias in Israel-Hamas Coverage: Over 1,500 Breaches of Guidelines

Social Media

At one time in my youth, the BBC was the epitome of neutral journalism. The World Service was listened to by people of every nation as the singular source of unbiased reporting.

Let's hope they can get it back on track.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, riclag said:

There use to be genuine outrage for anybody who supported terrorism !

Now these people who wear the scarf and carry the flag of hamas are appeased and showed reverence!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_pro-Palestinian_protests_on_university_campuses

What exactly IS the flag of Hamas, or are you talking about the flag of Palestine?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

At one time in my youth, the BBC was the epitome of neutral journalism. The World Service was listened to by people of every nation as the singular source of unbiased reporting.

Let's hope they can get it back on track.

Agree but I think it's too far gone now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The difference is that the BBC is state funded and is supposed to be neutral. It is in the charter.

They don't even hide their bias, calling Hamas terrorists "freedom fighters". It's absolutely disgusting. 

The BBC are nothing more than state funded left wing propaganda. Funded by money extorted from the citizens via draconian threats. It will get far worse under Labour.  

The view that the BBC is politically biased is a minority one, more or less equally regarded as left/right biased.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/is-the-bbc-more-favourable-towards-labour-the-left-or-the-conservatives-the-right

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The view that the BBC is politically biased is a minority one, more or less equally regarded as left/right biased.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/is-the-bbc-more-favourable-towards-labour-the-left-or-the-conservatives-the-right

For most leftists anyone slightly to the right of Stalin is a conservative so thats not really a very useful poll is it.   Far more useful is facts such as this one:

"According to the data, Israel was mentioned as committing war crimes four times more than Hamas (127 versus 30), 14 times more as committing genocide (283 versus 19) and six times more times as violating international law (167 versus 27)"

Or this one:

"In practice, the report found, Hamas was described as a "proscribed," "designated" or "recognised" terrorist organization just 409 out of 12,459 times (3.2 percent) over the four-month period."

Considering that Hamas is the terrorist group and Isreal is a democracy I would say this unequivocally demonstrates that the BBC is in fact biased towards leftist anti-jew agendas.   If you can find an equivalent report where they have shown bias towards right wing agendas (not just an opinion from a Marxist) then please share.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

For most leftists anyone slightly to the right of Stalin is a conservative so thats not really a very useful poll is it.   Far more useful is facts such as this one:

Sort of like political extremists making hyperbole accusation of anyone not fully in there camp?!

I think I got the picture you are painting.

12 hours ago, riclag said:

There ought to be laws forbidding news  agencies from calling known terrorist organizations actors, militants, freedom fighters.

"They are not freedom fighters, they are not militants, they are pure and simple terrorists and it's remarkable to go to the BBC website and still see them talking about gunmen and militants and not calling them terrorists," Mr Shapps said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-67076341

What would you call an organisation which uses armoured vehicles, tanks, bulldozers etc, aircraft. helicopter gunships etc to invade another country, kill perhaps 40,000 men, women, children and babies, injure perhaps 100,000 more. destroy infrastructure, water, sewage, hospitals, starve the population of that country, make homeless half the population, let your own country people steal houses and land and settle perhaps 700,000 of your own people on somebody else's land.

Would you call them freedom fighters, militants or terrorists?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

What would you call an organisation which uses armoured vehicles, tanks, bulldozers etc, aircraft. helicopter gunships etc to invade another country, kill perhaps 40,000 men, women, children and babies, injure perhaps 100,000 more. destroy infrastructure, water, sewage, hospitals, starve the population of that country, make homeless half the population, let your own country people steal houses and land and settle perhaps 700,000 of your own people on somebody else's land.

Would you call them freedom fighters, militants or terrorists?

Regardless of what they are called, it is without question something news organizations will report on and in consideration of the scale and continuation of the destruction, killing and mutilations it is something that will get very many mentions in news reports.

The BBC continually reporting destruction of towns and cities, killing and mutilation of civilians is not evidence of bias, it is an outcome of continuing destruction of towns and cities, killing and mutilation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Regardless of what they are called, it is without question something news organizations will report on and in consideration of the scale and continuation of the destruction, killing and mutilations it is something that will get very many mentions in news reports.

The BBC continually reporting destruction of towns and cities, killing and mutilation of civilians is not evidence of bias, it is an outcome of continuing destruction of towns and cities, killing and mutilation.

That is not the reason they are being accused of bias though.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I couldn't make this up if I tried. 

Jeremy Bowen: "I don't regret one thing in my reporting"

Interviewer: You said a building was flattered

Jeremy Bowen: "Oh yeah, I got that wrong"

The BBC issued a correction, later amended with an apology, for aspects of its coverage of the incident.

He was not nicknamed "Abu Bowen" for nothing!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1