Quality sofa in Bangkok, maybe built in Bangkok - where to get one?

OneMoreFarang

I want to buy a sturdy good quality sofa in Bangkok.

Readymade is fine, custom made is also an option.

If it costs more but is good value for money that is fine with me.

I watched some YouTube videos how sofas are made. Below is one of those videos. I am no expert, but it seems this is one example of a sturdy built sofa which will probably last for many years.

Where can I buy/order such a sofa in Bangkok or around Bangkok?

I would love to be able to visit the manufacturing place to look myself at their (hopefully) quality work.

I want fabric and not leather. I think that is much better in this climate.

What are your thoughts and ideas? Did you buy a high-quality sofa in Bangkok? 

I had a custom leather couch done at S. C. Leather. They have a factory showroom in Bangkok. It is an exquisite sectional. High quality brown leather. Done to my specs. After 6 years it looks like new, with the leather worn in just a bit. It is ridiculously comfortable. Comparable couches were 100,000 baht and up. This was around 30,000. Highly recommended. Look them up. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, kwak250 said:

I asked about a large sofa and was told Ikea by a few people
Went there a few days ago

Let's just say i am still looking for a good sofa

I went to the Bang Yai branch ,maybe it has fewer options?

I bought most of my furniture from IKEA. For some things, like a modular kitchen, wardrobe and some shelves I think they have good options.

I also looked at their sofas, and I am pretty sure I won't buy one from them. I want a sturdy sofa, because I am not the smallest guy. Looking not just at the IKEA sofas but at the construction manual (available online on their website), it is obvious that their sofas are not sturdy.

And then I looked at videos how sofas are built, like the video above, and I am sure no DIY put it together IKEA sofa can be sturdy like that.

• Agree 1

In Centralworld is one floor with furniture companies. I bought an excellent leather sofa there from SB furniture or SB Design square. You can first take a look at the website

ศูนย์รวมเฟอร์นิเจอร์ตกแต่งบ้าน ส่งทั่วไทย | SB Design Square

Edited by msbkk

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I paid them around 30,000 as it was factory direct. Comparable couches retail, are 100,000 to 150,000 baht. 

20201002_120402.jpg

20201002_120348.jpg

Thanks

I just looked at their website, it looks good.

http://www.scleather.co.th/

They have the factory address and two show rooms (i.e. in Central).

Did you visit their factory to get the good price? Or do you know if the prices in the showrooms are the same?

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

I just looked at their website, it looks good.

http://www.scleather.co.th/

They have the factory address and two show rooms (i.e. in Central).

Did you visit their factory to get the good price? Or do you know if the prices in the showrooms are the same?

I visited the factory and I suspect that the prices might be lower, but I'm not sure about. If it's convenient for you try the one in Central and see what the prices are like. It might be more of a retail operation. 

I was initially skeptical about the quality, though they felt very solid. However after 6 years I can tell you that this couch is wearing very well and looks fantastic. They are built to last, and better yet, they are built for men of our size! 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I paid them around 30,000 as it was factory direct. Comparable couches retail, are 100,000 to 150,000 baht. 

20201002_120402.jpg

20201002_120348.jpg

The missus saw similar sofas available on some 'TikTok Shops' for 10-20k. The construction looked sturdy from the pictures but we didn't buy one in the end.

It's one way to go if you want to save a significant amount but better to have a Thai wife / friend contact them re the quality.

Just now, stupidfarang said:

Only point I can add about sofas, is to ensure you get the correct height for expats as I did find a lot of sofas are lower to the ground to cater for Thai heights.

That's a good point.

I recently looked at Lazy boy furniture, and they have good information about the height, etc.

• Like 1

I've had an Ektorp 3 seater and armchair from IKEA for about 6 years and it's worn very well. I'm not a small guy either but it's very comfortable. I got it from the Bangna branch which was huge and had a good range there. Also has the added advantage of changeable washable covers.

Not for everyone and I understand your brief but maybe worth a look if you're near there. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I also looked at their sofas, and I am pretty sure I won't buy one from them. I want a sturdy sofa, because I am not the smallest guy. Looking not just at the IKEA sofas but at the construction manual (available online on their website), it is obvious that their sofas are not sturdy.

More than 20 years ago, a friend bought an EKTORP 3 cushion sofa At Ikea, close to B20,000 at the time. For 15 years it was the prime sports and movie  watching sofa for a group of his friends as he was the first to invest in a 75" TV.  When he moved back to the US, the sofa went to another Bangkok friend who still uses it daily: still comfortable and tight after 20+ years of hard use.   I always wanted one myself and early last year noticed that IKEA was discontinuing the model and was selling it for B11,000.  I bought one (solid color, floral print covers are extra) and love it.  Truly large enough for 3 people to comfortably sit, long and comfortable enough for a guest to sleep on without scrunching-up.  Design is rather plain: great example of function over form.  Worth checking if IKEA still has any for sale.

2 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

The missus saw similar sofas available on some 'TikTok Shops' for 10-20k. The construction looked sturdy from the pictures but we didn't buy one in the end.

It's one way to go if you want to save a significant amount but better to have a Thai wife / friend contact them re the quality.

In general I would agree with you, however I purchased a sofa from these guys and I've had it for 6 years. I'm totally satisfied with it, the sofa was worth 100,000 and I paid 30,000 for it, so it comes highly recommended. 

Unless you can see the sofa in person, sit on it, and in my case make custom choices such as size, configuration, quality and color of the leather, etc., you have a snowball's chance in hell of being satisfied. 

Edited by spidermike007

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In general I would agree with you, however I purchased a sofa from these guys and I've had it for 6 years. I'm totally satisfied with it, the sofa was worth 100,000 and I paid 30,000 for it, so it comes highly recommended. 

Unless you can see the sofa in person, sit on it, and in my case make custom choices such as size, configuration, quality and color of the leather, etc., you have a snowball's chance in hell of being satisfied. 

I contacted them per email this morning and I received a personal reply, in perfect English, within two hours.

That is already a good start.

Now I asked for more information, let's see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I contacted them per email this morning and I received a personal reply, in perfect English, within two hours.

That is already a good start.

Now I asked for more information, let's see.

They are busy, and I understand why they're so busy, as they make very high quality products at fair prices, so be persistent, it's worth it. 

There's a small furniture store in Central Bang Na. I don't remember the floor, but it was one of the higher up ones. If you get in from the main entrance, just stick to the right side of the atrium where all the escalators are. They sell high end furniture made to order. They can make you anything. I haven't been there in ages, but I think I've seen a couch in there. A friend of mine bought a rosewood dining table, a large sideboard and an opium table from them and the quality and craftsmanship are absolutely top notch. Not cheap, though. The opium table was 60000 Baht back in 2007 and the dining table cost 250000, but the top of fhat is completely covered with inlay work, hence the price and the sideboard was around 160000.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I bought most of my furniture from IKEA. For some things, like a modular kitchen, wardrobe and some shelves I think they have good options.

And then I looked at videos how sofas are built, like the video above, and I am sure no DIY put it together IKEA sofa can be sturdy like that.

Yes we are starting to build a new house and we are almost definitely going to get the kitchen from Ikea

The sofas are not as good as i expected they would be.

Had a few from a certain large furniture store and the synthetic leather gets crunchy and flakey like and old iguana after 2-3 years not cheap as well .

Did enjoy the food though and quite cheap at ikea

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

IKEA doesn't have high quality sofa's

No i asked about large sofa's and was told that Ikea have them but after looking there were not any on show that were on the website but they said you can order without actually seeing so that was no good

On 9/11/2024 at 11:40 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

What are your thoughts and ideas? Did you buy a high-quality sofa in Bangkok? 

Top floors of MBK....  (a number of furniture shops up there).

IKEA - (Mega Bang Na) contrary to what many state, there is decent quality furniture there

Crystal Design Centre - (Map link) - loads of higher end furniture shops there

Chic Republic - (near CDC or on Bang Na Trat, before Central Bang Na)

SB Furniture Design (plenty around)

Index (plenty around)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

No i asked about large sofa's and was told that Ikea have them but after looking there were not any on show that were on the website but they said you can order without actually seeing so that was no good

Which IKEA - the one at Mega Bang Na seems to have plenty of large Sofa's on show...  (at least the L - shaped ones with 3x large seating cushions)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

20201002_120402.jpg

20201002_120348.jpg

Now this looks like just what i am after and almost the same as our last one that lasted 2-3 years 
I see on the website the model is William. 
Going to ask how much these are now
Many thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which IKEA - the one at Mega Bang Na seems to have plenty of large Sofa's on show...  (at least the L - shaped ones with 3x large seating cushions)

I was wanting to see the 6-7 seater u-shaped ones 
Went to the Ikea Bang Yai they did have L-shaped which were ok but would have wanted to see these 

Screenshot 2024-09-12 171051.jpg

Edited by kwak250