Harris Surges Past Trump In Election Betting Markets After First Presidential Debate

16 minutes ago, gargamon said:

ABC’s Matter-of-Fact Moderators Built Factual Guardrails Around Trump

Calmly and firmly, Linsey Davis and David Muir pursued the kind of real-time fact-checking missing from many previous debates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/11/business/media/debate-moderators-trump-harris.html

Charming, but again not part of the rules for the debate as written by ABC News.  Mods should be preparing follow up questions and getting ready for the next candidate, not playing "gotcha!".  I guess Harris is incapable of fact checking on the fly, so ABC gave her a helping hand.  Seems to be a trend in the legacy media.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Charming, but again not part of the rules for the debate as written by ABC News.  Mods should be preparing follow up questions and getting ready for the next candidate, not playing "gotcha!".  I guess Harris is incapable of fact checking on the fly, so ABC gave her a helping hand.  Seems to be a trend in the legacy media.

They are 'moderators'. The clue in what is and isn't for them to do is kind of in the name. And it certainly isn't the opposing candidate's job to fact check the other.

I mean, if that were the case then when would Harris get time to do anything but fact-checking, considering the amount of absolute drivel that comes out of Trump's mouth.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maesariang said:

You do realise that countries have party systems and Prime Ministers?

Just off the top of my head, trying to think of any G7 nation that has a direct popular vote for head of state. US, Canada, Japan, UK, Germany, Italy, don't think so. Not sure about France.  

43 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

They are 'moderators'. The clue in what is and isn't for them to do is kind of in the name. And it certainly isn't the opposing candidate's job to fact check the other.

I mean, if that were the case then when would Harris get time to do anything but fact-checking, considering the amount of absolute drivel that comes out of Trump's mouth.

Moderators job? They ask the questions, do follow ups, and keep the time. And stay out of the way. They don't coax the answer from the candidate, don't offer two or three possible explanations within the question, don't offer a soft landing. They ask the question and let the candidate hang themself. The simpler the better.

eg. "Mr. Trump, why can't you just say that you lost in 2020?" or "Ms. Harris, when did you first realize that Joe Biden was unfit to stand for re-election?"

If you look at the intra-party debates from the last several election cycles, the moderators behaved much differently. But when it is D vs R, things change.  

Do you seriously think debate candidates shouldn't fact check each other?  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Moderators job? They ask the questions, do follow ups, and keep the time. And stay out of the way. They don't coax the answer from the candidate, don't offer two or three possible explanations within the question, don't offer a soft landing. They ask the question and let the candidate hang themself. The simpler the better.

eg. "Mr. Trump, why can't you just say that you lost in 2020?" or "Ms. Harris, when did you first realize that Joe Biden was unfit to stand for re-election?"

If you look at the intra-party debates from the last several election cycles, the moderators behaved much differently. But when it is D vs R, things change.  

Do you seriously think debate candidates shouldn't fact check each other?  

I would leave that up to the candidates. They can fact check each other all day for all I care. I also think that when candidates tell lies that a 4 y/o caught with his hand in the cookie jar would refrain from telling it's not wrong for a mod to do a little tug of the proverbial ear. And if there's anyone on the planet who needs an ear tug it's the old snake oil salesman himself.

Edited by Inderpland
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Harris' job to do that during the debate. During an interview, different story.  But the moderators should not be injecting themselves into the discussion and engaging with the candidates.

And Harris shouldn't have to waste her precious time pointing out his lies.

You DO realize you are defending 45's spew of lies?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

The "fine people on both sides" hoax was thoroughly debunked by Politifact. Hardly a Trump friendly organization. He was clearly referring to people on both sides of the "take down Confederate statues" dispute. NOT neo nazis or racists.

OK, and Snopes, which is generally a very reliable fact-checking website, also said what you’re saying (I haven’t read the Snopes article). But, getting a little deeper into the weeds on Trump’s rhetoric and doublespeak, perhaps it’s not that simple:

https://newrepublic.com/article/183082/nopes-trump-very-fine-people

To state up front, the New Republic, which printed the above article, is (these days at least) a left-leaning publication, so you’re likely to dismiss it for that reason alone, but you should read it anyway.

Drawing another analogy, of the more than 5 million German soldiers and sailors who died during World War II (and the many millions more who fought and survived), the great majority were decent men who simply thought that they were doing their duty; they were not Nazis. But that’s very different from making a conscious decision to attend a rally that is organized by white supremacists and neo-Nazis and very much promoted as such. For Trump to hem and haw on the issue in an effort to not lose voters, even the worst sort, tells me that he has no principles whatsoever.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maesariang said:

50% of nations have a similar system. It is a good system. Kept out the loser Hillary.

Can you list them as doesn't seem to be the case; many have switched to a direct electoral process. In any case I assume the US is the only country where the loser (trump) in the Electoral College process tried to corrupt the lawful outcome.

• Like 1