Statins: A Vital Consideration for Those Over 70, Study Suggests

Social Media

5 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Exercise more, eat less and better, take appropriate medication that is genuine according to the prescription of your doctor.

Eating better is obviously a good idea, but it’s a message that needs to over come vast sums spent on advertising and market to g if exactly the stuff people should not be eating for better health.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Eating better is obviously a good idea, but it’s a message that needs to over come vast sums spent on advertising and market to g if exactly the stuff people should not be eating for better health.

If you exercise enough, you can eat whatever you like with no apparent downside.

My 25km/day cycle rides (with PA) seem to make it impossible for me to gain any weight.

When I was a little younger (62) and trail running most days, I needed a Big Mac every day and was still losing weight, had to force myself to eat when I wasn't hungry.

Edited by BritManToo

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you exercise enough, you can eat whatever you like with no apparent downside.

Jim Fixx thought that. Famously wrong.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My 25km/day cycle rides (with PA) seem to make it impossible for me to gain any weight.

Weight per se isn't the issue here.

However, some people with obesity are in good metabolic health. Conversely, some people who appear to have lean bodies are at risk of cardiometabolic diseases, such as heart attack, stroke, and diabetes.

--Skinny fat: Definition, causes, and lifestyle modifications

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Exercise does not negate the negative impacts of processed, high salt content, high cholesterol, low fiber, and importantly high glycemic index foods, which is the root cause of very many people’s chronic health problems.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Jim Fixx thought that. Famously wrong.

Weight per se isn't the issue here.

However, some people with obesity are in good metabolic health. Conversely, some people who appear to have lean bodies are at risk of cardiometabolic diseases, such as heart attack, stroke, and diabetes.

--Skinny fat: Definition, causes, and lifestyle modifications

YEP!.....my old boss....fit as a lat.....not an ounce of fat, rode in cycle races every weekend.....dropped dead from a massive heart attack at 52.

You can't judge a book from its cover.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I'd have been happy to die like that at age 52, sadly I've currently managed 68 with no end in sight.

Hahaha......wouldn't disagree.....I'm 68 and just starting to wonder what the next few years hold.

None of the men in our family have enjoyed longevity.....stay here tough it out and see what happens, up root and return 'home' before it is too late......bit of a dilemma. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

Hahaha......wouldn't disagree.....I'm 68 and just starting to wonder what the next few years hold.

None of the men in our family have enjoyed longevity.....stay here tough it out and see what happens, up root and return 'home' before it is too late......bit of a dilemma. 

Same, most of my male rellys were dead by now.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

YEP!.....my old boss....fit as a lat.....not an ounce of fat, rode in cycle races every weekend.....dropped dead from a massive heart attack at 52.

You can't judge a book from its cover.

Anecdotes are of course interesting, I knew a First Cat Road Racer who died in his sleep at age 25, his team members ate all still fit and healthy decades later.

However, there has been a significant development in past 20 years that is without doubt going to produce valuable insights into exercise and health.

Almost every person I know who is regularly taking part in sports, is using ‘wearables’ and uploading their data to online databases, STRAVA, Garmin, Polar, TrainingPeaks etc.

This is true of tens of millions of people around the world.

Its a goldmine for medical research and will undoubtedly reveal valuable nights as the cohort of users age.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'd have been happy to die like that at age 52, sadly I've currently managed 68 with no end in sight.

But since you won't have health checkups and don't know your numbers, of course you can't see the end looming, beginning perhaps w/ a nice debilitating stroke, so that you may postpone it. 'Course, now, when Fate, in the form of a hit-and-run, rang your number, you fought like hell to resist the call.🙂 WOT?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Despite this breakfast almost every day ...........

1726194635231.jpg

No black pudding or eggs? Like your start but need a bit more to round that out. 

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I'm not sick I don't take medication.

That is a huge mistake...believe me.

Apart from the odd cold I have 'never' been sick for decades and assumed all was good.

Just been diagnosed with a potential serious disease as a consequence of moderately high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol levels.

Too late now to reverse the damage....all I can do is limit the future damage from being any worse than it might have been.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Same, most of my male rellys were dead by now.

Think I'm good for a few more, and trying to pay attention to diet, as may stretch out a few more.   Luckily not needed giving up much.

Most dead in family, aunts, uncles, cousins, parents.  I've passed them long time ago.  Have 2 brothers older, 18 months & 7 years, so that's optimistic.  Mother made it to just shy of 74, and I'm knocking on 70. Father made it to 69. both alkys & chain smokers, and I'm neither.

Have one cousin, mother's side, passing soon, if not already, and 84 👍

Statins for me are a negative, and #s are decent, and will see in a couple months if stopped taking them has any major effect.  See what my APOB # is.  My HDL/Trig ratio should be good.

21 hours ago, JCauto said:

Ah! Big Pharma conspiracist! Thanks for showing up.

So, first of all, why am I not dead after taking this awful horrible medication, and why do I feel so great and have no cardiovascular health problems since I've been taking them? Where are these AKI symptoms? Where are my horrible side effects?

I think you're getting a bit confused though, it was fat they were painting as the bad guy instead of sugar. And yes, that was real, not a conspiracy. 

And finally, we agree completely that one should eat healthy, fresh food with as much vegetables as possible and switch from red meats. That's just common sense. I'll still indulge once in a while, but I would say my diagnosis did have many beneficial effects - I lost weight, exercised my core and changed up my diet too. With that and the Atorvastatin, it got my bad cholesterol down to normal and all of my other health problems went away. 

If you're asking me "would these Big Pharma corporate office undertake shady practices and lie for profit?" I would say "undoubtedly and proven". But the bottom line (ironically) is that these companies ride on the backs of their scientists and researchers, and I definitely trust THOSE people. They're too far removed from the power and profits and are scientists who are doing their jobs. It's only when one gets to the C Suites that the wild and weird stuff happens.

side effects ..   taking same pills for decades ,,    no cure ? so why has the rate of heart attacks increased over the last 70 years ?

oh.   since the big $$$ companies falsified research and got people to stop eating meat and go grains / sugar/ veg....

and veggies ..?    the doctored up modified veggies they are cramming down your throat were not even in existance 100 years ago 

follow your human diet ..    meat / fat

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

side effects ..   taking same pills for decades ,,    no cure ? so why has the rate of heart attacks increased over the last 70 years ?

oh.   since the big $$$ companies falsified research and got people to stop eating meat and go grains / sugar/ veg....

and veggies ..?    the doctored up modified veggies they are cramming down your throat were not even in existance 100 years ago 

follow your human diet ..    meat / fat

You sure about that? While humans may not have evolved to eat ultraprocessed foods and sugar, they certainly didn't evolve to be pure carnivores. In fact, genetic studies show that different human groups have adapted to different kinds of diets. As for vegetables having changed, what about livestock. You think that the animals raised today are the same as those that existed 100 years ago? You think that their diet is the same? That the fat content of their muscles is the same?

The Evolution of Diet

Some experts say modern humans should eat from a Stone Age menu. What's on it may surprise you.

It’s true that hunter-gatherers around the world crave meat more than any other food and usually get around 30 percent of their annual calories from animals. But most also endure lean times when they eat less than a handful of meat each week. New studies suggest that more than a reliance on meat in ancient human diets fueled the brain’s expansion.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/evolution-of-diet/#:~:text=It's true that hunter-gatherers,their annual calories from animals.

Hunter-gatherers were mostly gatherers, says archaeologist
Researchers reject ‘macho caveman’ stereotype after burial site evidence suggests a largely plant-based diet

Early human hunter-gatherers ate mostly plants and vegetables, according to archeological findings that undermine the commonly held view that our ancestors lived on a high protein, meat-heavy diet.

The evidence, from the remains of 24 individuals from two burial sites in the Peruvian Andes dating to between 9,000 and 6,500 years ago, suggests that wild potatoes and other root vegetables may have been a dominant source of nutrition before the shift to an agricultural lifestyle.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/24/hunter-gatherers-were-mostly-gatherers-says-archaeologist

• Haha 1

A recent study has brought to light the potential benefits of statin therapy 

paid by big pharma off course

your ldl might be low or normal, but losing your mind or getting a heart attack...  profits

people still blindly believe md's and anything pharma ?

if you see the junk people buy and eat, cooking, nahhhhhhhhh... microwave frozen food junk full with chemicals, heated in plastic, yes please 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, john donson said:

A recent study has brought to light the potential benefits of statin therapy 

paid by big pharma off course

your ldl might be low or normal, but losing your mind or getting a heart attack...  profits

people still blindly believe md's and anything pharma ?

if you see the junk people buy and eat, cooking, nahhhhhhhhh... microwave frozen food junk full with chemicals, heated in plastic, yes please 

Yes, there are independent studies that have shown statins to be effective in reducing cardiovascular risk. While the pharmaceutical industry has funded many large trials, there are also numerous studies and meta-analyses conducted by academic institutions, government bodies, and independent researchers that support the efficacy of statins. Here are a few key points about independent research on statins:

1. **Meta-Analyses by Independent Researchers**: Some meta-analyses, which combine data from multiple studies, are conducted by independent researchers without direct pharmaceutical funding. For example, the Cholesterol Treatment Trialists' (CTT) Collaboration has performed several meta-analyses examining the effects of statins. While some data used in these analyses may come from industry-funded studies, the collaboration itself is known for its independence and rigorous methodology.

2. **Government and Public Health Studies**: Some government-funded research, such as studies supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the U.S. or the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK, has evaluated the effectiveness and safety of statins. These studies often aim to assess public health outcomes rather than commercial interests.

3. **Observational Studies**: Independent observational studies have also shown the benefits of statins in real-world settings. For instance, large-scale cohort studies that follow populations over time have found that statin use is associated with a significant reduction in the risk of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular events.

4. **International Guidelines**: Organizations like the World Health Organization (WHO) and the American Heart Association (AHA) have reviewed evidence from a wide range of sources, including independent studies, when forming their guidelines on the use of statins for cardiovascular risk reduction.

While it's true that industry-funded studies are more prevalent in the literature, the independent research available tends to corroborate the general findings that statins can reduce the risk of cardiovascular events, particularly in individuals with high cholesterol or existing heart disease. However, the discussion on the risk-benefit balance and who should take statins continues, with independent research contributing valuable insights into these decisions.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 11:17 AM, Will B Good said:

That is a huge mistake...believe me.

Apart from the odd cold I have 'never' been sick for decades and assumed all was good.

Just been diagnosed with a potential serious disease as a consequence of moderately high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol levels.

Too late now to reverse the damage....all I can do is limit the future damage from being any worse than it might have been.

Diagnosed by whom?

2nd rate Thai doctor, western doctor paid to push big pharma products.

Why does nobody have the courage to say NO!

• Confused 2

On 9/13/2024 at 11:11 AM, BigStar said:

But since you won't have health checkups and don't know your numbers, of course you can't see the end looming, beginning perhaps w/ a nice debilitating stroke, so that you may postpone it. 'Course, now, when Fate, in the form of a hit-and-run, rang your number, you fought like hell to resist the call.🙂 WOT?

No fighting on my part, I just lay there in bed while they injected me with morphine.

No operations, no medication other than pain relief, no treatment beyond bandages.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1