What are the Thai names for these two Asian Ebony woods from Indonesia and Vietnam?

rabas

I love Asian wood and have a few pieces at home.  Two are made from Ebony native to their country of origin, Indonesia and Vietnam. I know the common trade names and the scientific names.  Does anyone know the Thai names for these woods? Any help much appreciated.

1. A hand carved Haunman statue from Indonesia made of Macassar Ebony (diospyros celebica), which comes from the Indonesian island of Sulawesi.

2. An inlaid table from Vietnam made of Mun Ebony (diospyros mun). Mun Ebony is predominantly from Vietnam.

The two woods look similar with bold black and brown striping.  Macassar ebony is slightly harder than black African ebony.

Here is an image of the statue for reference.  The statue is 82 cm tall and weighs 20 kg.

hanuman.thumb.jpg.56f2e34c793c0b0cec5b62db1409f96a.jpg

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I can't tell from the photo = but 

mai Daeng = is a reddish wood I think mostly from Malaysia??

mai sak = teak 

Neither of which is a species of ebony!

Maybe try here:

http://www.tropicaltimber.info/specie/black-ebony-diospyros-pilosanthera/

It lists a lot of different names for ebony from all round the world. It looks like Laos has some interesting outlets for beautiful carved ebony. They might be useful too:

https://carusocreations.com/en/

I bought a set of 3 seated Buddhas in Yangon years ago that the seller said were ebony. They are brown striped pieces. But I suspect they are resin moulds. The detail and colouring is amazing, whatever they're made from. I think there maybe a lot of fakes around. I don't know how to tell. I tried drilling a very small hole in the base of one, but it was inconclusive. Any ideas how to test for authenticity?

Edited by bradiston