Thai supermarket Big C to launch four new branches

webfact

c1_2863796_240911230438_790-1.webp

Big C Supercenter Plc, one of Thailand’s biggest supermarket and convenience store chains, is set to expand with the launch of four additional branches by the end of 2025.

Company Chief Executive and President Aswin Techajareonvikul announced plans to renovate 18 existing stores and open one new store this year, with a total investment of 5 billion baht.

“Moreover, the company aims to add three more stores by the end of 2025 and continue to expand its Big C Mini convenience store.”

Currently, Big C operates over 1,800 stores across Thailand and in international locations such as Hong Kong, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.

The company has decided not to renew lease agreements for its Sukhaphiban 3-2 branch in Bang Kapi, Bangkok, and the Rangsit 2 branch in Lam Luk Ka, Pathum Thani. The branches will remain open until September 15 and 30, respectively.

“The employees can transfer to nearby Big C branches or apply to work for Big C in their hometowns on a voluntary basis.”

Additionally, Big C announced the relocation of its Rat Burana branch in Bangkok to a new freehold area under Berli Jucker Plc at the Chao Phraya River basin. The current store will remain open until October 31, and the newly relocated store is expected to open next year, reported Bangkok Post.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal
Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Source: The Thaiger 

-- 2024-09-12

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

Chanthaburi Big C opened around 2013 about 1km from the main Lotus shopping centre; I wonder now how much longer it will remain open, supermarket occupies the upper floor with a gold shop, cinema and various t-shirt sellers; downstairs the foodcourt is almost gone, floor occupied by cheap clothes on racks, empty shops have displays of Big C kitset furniture to fill the space. Car park attendants are gone, no need with so much parking space.

Expect more to close when it comes to lease renewal time.

Central Chanthaburi killed them - opened May 2022 near Robinsons both east side of the river and that's where people go.  

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

My main 'go to' is Tops but Big C is a very close second.

Big C's fruit and veg is definitely better than Tops.  :thumbsup:

Tops has a much wider beer selection. :burp:

I agree on the fruit and veg, expensive prices at Tops, bread is far better at Tops, actually bread.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, proton said:

Na, Tops, Foodland and Villa are better as are the staff. Big C have pulled Carabao beers off the shelf, no prizes for guessing why. 

I had noticed that. Hmmmm interesting.

I am enjoying the Dunkel these days but the selection in my beer fridge is quite large. (All available from Tops.)

20240912_110300q.jpg.bab31dbeddd7e10823f9480feea139a3.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Love It 2

49 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Central Chanthaburi killed them - opened May 2022 near Robinsons both east side of the river and that's where people go. 

Maybe true, but people go to Big C to buy stuff.  They go to the malls to hang out, wander around, drink coffee, gawk at the cuties, and eat.  And for the free A/C. 

Unless the malls have a Gourmet Market in the basement, you still have to go somewhere else to buy groceries.  I usually leave the malls carrying nothing, even if I did have coffee and eat.  I can't remember ever leaving a Big C without a couple of bags.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

..Complaining doesn't help Thais know what is best

It does help sometimes, I can't remember whether it was last year or the year before, but I'd just about had enough, it was always hot in there (at my local one) I stopped buying any dairy products after a yogurt went of still in date, 2 days after I brought it, all their chocolate was soft. the only A/C there was directly above the manager's desk, the poor staff were wilting in the heat. Anyhow I sent an email to their head office, it was the hottest day of the year in Thailand, it was hotter in the store than outside, Enough was enough, not one fan or even the managers A/C was off, he was not there, I pointed out what I had found wrong with the place. They now have big 4 A/C units and a new manager, many items that were not there anymore are back on the shelf. Incidentally with a huge new stock being shelved a message was playing in perfect English and Thai apologizing for any inconvenience  caused by boxes in the isles...... :wai:

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Big C and Lotu'ssssss lag far behind Makro when it comes Fruit and Veg' selection and Bakery.   Tops is ok for Bread too but a lot more expensive for majority of items.    We now have 'Go Wholesale' in Chiang Mai as well but just seems like a giant Makro with more room between the aisles, a few Live Crabs, Lobsters and Fishes, poor devils.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

It does help sometimes, I can't remember whether it was last year or the year before, but I'd just about had enough, it was always hot in there (at my local one) I stopped buying any dairy products after a yogurt went of still in date, 2 days after I brought it, all their chocolate was soft. the only A/C there was directly above the manager's desk, the poor staff were wilting in the heat. Anyhow I sent an email to their head office, it was the hottest day of the year in Thailand, it was hotter in the store than outside, Enough was enough, not one fan or even the managers A/C was off, he was not there, I pointed out what I had found wrong with the place. They now have big 4 A/C units and a new manager, many items that were not there anymore are back on the shelf. Incidentally with a huge new stock being shelved a message was playing in perfect English and Thai apologizing for any inconvenience  caused by boxes in the isles...... :wai:

Going above and beyond. Truly heroic. Was that a Mini Big C? They don't really count IMHO.

When it comes to aisles blocked with carts loaded with folded-up packing cases, I would wager that Lotus's Udon Thani (north end) takes the biscuit. Seems like the shelf stackers aren't tasked with moving empty cases out the back.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Going above and beyond. Truly heroic. Was that a Mini Big C? They don't really count IMHO.

When it comes to aisles blocked with carts loaded with folded-up packing cases, I would wager that Lotus's Udon Thani (north end) takes the biscuit. Seems like the shelf stackers aren't tasked with moving empty cases out the back.

Yea I was really pissed off that day the overbearing heat didn't help, No it was a BIG C on the other hand our local big Lotus, has now closed in fact demolished, very near Big C, and they are building a small one in our village, although there are many around, so now we will have a Small Big C, Lotus, and, 7/11<--the most expensive one in Thailand IMO.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 2

Carabao available in CJ MORE, they deliver a couple of cases for me. Watchout at BIG C for the price you pay indicated on the shelf edge and at the till, caught them out twice this week trying to charge more than indicated and they still left the tickets in place!

On 9/12/2024 at 4:32 PM, nong38 said:

Carabao available in CJ MORE, they deliver a couple of cases for me. Watchout at BIG C for the price you pay indicated on the shelf edge and at the till, caught them out twice this week trying to charge more than indicated and they still left the tickets in place!

I always take a pic of any 'offers' or something doubtful, rarely do you get a sorry, usually they say nothing or blame customers for messing about with the price labels.