Sadiq Khan Advocates for Prioritizing Prisoners in Housing Queue

Social Media

image.png

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, has sparked debate with his recent proposal that prisoners should be given priority in the housing queue to help reduce reoffending rates. Speaking to The Times’s Crime and Justice Commission, Khan acknowledged the severe housing shortage in London but emphasized the need for an "honest conversation" about the necessity of providing housing to some former prisoners as a strategy to prevent them from returning to crime.

Khan's comments come amid growing pressure on housing in the capital, where an escalating homelessness crisis has left one in 50 Londoners without a home. On Tuesday, around 1,650 prisoners were released under the government’s early release scheme, which allows inmates serving fixed-term sentences to be freed after serving just 40 percent of their term, rather than the usual 50 percent. The release of these prisoners, coupled with Khan’s suggestion, has drawn attention to the challenges faced by ex-offenders who struggle to find stable housing upon their release.

The mayor’s proposal is likely to stir controversy, particularly given the current demand for housing in London. However, the issue of housing for former prisoners is critical, as the lack of stable accommodation is a significant factor in reoffending. Many prisoners released into homelessness or unstable housing are more likely to breach their licence conditions, often due to missed appointments, breaking curfews, or associating with prohibited individuals. These breaches can lead to a return to prison, perpetuating a cycle of reoffending. Homelessness also exacerbates issues such as substance abuse and makes it more difficult for former prisoners to claim benefits or secure employment, further increasing their likelihood of returning to crime.

Charlie Taylor, the chief inspector of prisons, highlighted the gravity of the situation earlier this week, noting that the lack of housing for prisoners makes it "inevitable" that many of those released on Tuesday will be recalled to jail. An inspection at HMP Bedford revealed that 30 percent of prisoners were released into homelessness, while 42 percent were placed in "unsustainable accommodation."

During the session of The Times’s Crime and Justice Commission, which focused on the prisons crisis, Khan reiterated the severity of London’s housing shortage, stating, "For us the big challenge is there is no housing in London, a big shortage of housing in London." He stressed the importance of having an honest conversation with constituents about why it might be necessary for some former prisoners to "jump the queue" for housing in order to prevent them from reoffending.

When asked directly whether newly released prisoners should be given priority in the housing queue, Khan responded, "A certain percentage. Yeah, it’s the honest conversation we’ve got to have with people across our respective cities and stuff to explain the reason we’re doing this."

The discussion surrounding housing for former prisoners has also led to other measures being considered. On Tuesday, Shabana Mahmood, the Justice Secretary, announced that probation directors have been authorized to use budget hotels to house prisoners if temporary accommodation is unavailable. Government sources described the use of hotels as a contingency plan to ensure that prisoners have a place to stay for the first three months following their release.

The urgency of the situation is underscored by the experience of Jack Creighton, a 54-year-old prisoner released early from HMP Wandsworth on Tuesday. Creighton expressed frustration with the rushed arrangements for his release, stating that he would have preferred to remain in prison because he had no home to return to. "I really would have rather stayed in," Creighton said, adding, "I’m going to be on a park bench tonight." While in prison, Creighton had access to a "warm cell, television, kettle and three meals a day," a stark contrast to the uncertainty he now faces. 

Khan’s proposal to prioritize prisoners for housing is a controversial yet crucial part of the broader conversation about addressing reoffending and homelessness in London. As the city grapples with its housing crisis, the debate over how to support former prisoners without exacerbating existing challenges is likely to continue.

Credit: The Times 2024-09-14

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

"Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, has sparked debate with his recent proposal that prisoners should be given priority in the housing queue to help reduce reoffending rates. "

Why am I not shocked??? Maybe if they didn't offend in the first place there wouldn't be this problem?

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Indeed any foreign prisoners ( presumably the ones he really cares about) should have been deported immediately on conviction as a mandatory part of any punishment they receive.  

Well you did say you detest the man, but don’t you think assuming foreign prisoners are the ones he really cares about is probably taking it a bit too far?

By all means deport straight from prison foreigners imprisoned for serious crimes, though that might require a bit of ‘international cooperation’ itself a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well you did say you detest the man, but don’t you think assuming foreign prisoners are the ones he really cares about is probably taking it a bit too far?

By all means deport straight from prison foreigners imprisoned for serious crimes, though that might require a bit of ‘international cooperation’ itself a good thing.

Why reserve it for those guilty of "serious" crimes ?    A zero tolerance approach is the best option,  

20 minutes ago, Theforgotten1 said:

Everyone comes first before native people , now criminals. Wow

I would seriously expect  foreign criminals  who are members of the "alphabet" communities to  be given priority over everybody else.  of course

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I would seriously expect  foreign criminals  who are members of the "alphabet" communities to  be given priority over everybody else.  of course

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Broadcast your bias why don’t you?!

Why shouldn't I  ?     Take out the obvious sarcasm from  my remark  and I would have been applauded for making such a statement.   So  is only  one form of bias  acceptable ?  that doesn't sound very inclusive or diverse to me   

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Why shouldn't I  ?     Take out the obvious sarcasm from  my remark  and I would have been applauded for making such a statement.   So  is only  one form of bias  acceptable ?  that doesn't sound very inclusive or diverse to me   

You appear to be a tad sensitive to criticism of the views you ‘proudly’ express.