Survey Reveals More Americans Plan to Get Flu Shot, Fewer Opt for COVID-19 Booster

Social Media

image.png

A recent survey suggests that while a majority of Americans are planning to get vaccinated against the flu this year, less than half are inclined to receive the new COVID-19 booster. The poll, conducted by Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and released on Thursday, shows a divide in public sentiment toward the two vaccines, with 56 percent of respondents saying they either have already gotten or plan to get the flu shot, compared to just 43 percent expressing the same intent for the COVID-19 booster.

The survey, which involved 1,006 participants, highlights a continuing reluctance among some Americans to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Thirty-seven percent of respondents stated that, despite having received vaccines in the past, they do not plan to get them again. This hesitation is concerning to health officials as the U.S. enters a season that poses significant risks due to multiple respiratory viruses, including the flu, COVID-19, and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).

Dr. Nora Colburn, the medical director of clinical epidemiology at Ohio State’s Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital, warned about the dangers of the upcoming virus season. "We’re at the start of respiratory virus season when you have the triple threat of flu, COVID-19, and RSV," she said in a statement. "Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation about vaccinations, but the reality is that they are safe and highly effective in preventing serious illness and death."

Colburn emphasized the importance of vaccines, particularly for vulnerable groups such as older adults, people with chronic medical conditions, and pregnant individuals. These groups, she noted, face an elevated risk during respiratory virus season and should take precautions to protect themselves.

Doctors are advising that nearly everyone, except infants younger than six months, receive the updated COVID-19 vaccines. Similarly, annual flu shots are recommended for children over six years old and adults, to safeguard against seasonal strains of the influenza virus.

According to Colburn, vaccinations not only protect individuals but also contribute to community-wide health. "Vaccinations play a critical role in helping keep individuals and communities healthy," she said. Colburn also encouraged other preventive measures, such as staying home when sick, avoiding close contact with infected individuals, and wearing a mask when feeling unwell to reduce the risk of spreading illness.

The survey, conducted between August 16 and 18 by SSRS on behalf of Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, carries a margin of error of plus or minus 3.8 percentage points. As the respiratory virus season begins, health officials are urging the public to remain vigilant and consider the benefits of vaccination to mitigate the spread of illness and protect those most at risk.

Credit: Hill 2024-09-16

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Haha 1

Just now, impulse said:

My symptoms started the day after the shot, and over 2 years before I had Covid.  I've been to the ER 3 times since then for related symptoms and had bunches of tests and scans.  I didn't just guess, or make it up.  I've got the reports...

To be clear, that's one man's experience and YMMV.  But it may explain why mRNA uptake isn't what it used to be.

I was just asking out of curiosity. A lot blame the shots and I had symptoms and didn't know without testing if it was the vaccine, Covid or just a seasonal thing or allergies. When I was found positive, I had the regular symptoms of cough, sore throat and congestion, but I also got these from allergies so you never know exactly what causes things unless it came on, you were tested, and don't have allergies or a simple cold. I'm 68 now, and in good health but with Covid I didn't want to take any chances because of all the healthy people I saw dying or getting real sick, so I went for the vaccines. If they've done any damage I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

You can have mine, too.  I still haven't recovered from my 2nd Pfizer, 3-1/2 years ago.  Probably never will, according to my doctors.  Or maybe I will.  They just don't know...  They don't have the data on long term effects.

They'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to take another mRNA product of any kind.

I’ve had no ill effects whatsoever I did get Covid about 6 months ago very very mild it wouldn’t have kept me from work except for the contagion was over it in 3 days tho congestion continued for a week longer……im in my 70s and I was a dumb ass smoker for many years……im sure the vaccine saved me from the worst of it.I hope your health improves good luck 

3 hours ago, Tug said:

I’ve had no ill effects whatsoever I did get Covid about 6 months ago very very mild it wouldn’t have kept me from work except for the contagion was over it in 3 days tho congestion continued for a week longer……im in my 70s and I was a dumb ass smoker for many years……im sure the vaccine saved me from the worst of it.I hope your health improves good luck 

Thanks for that touch of compassion. 

I can't explain it.  My first Pfizer was fine.  I was one of the first to get in the queue when they became available on the island (Galveston)  My 2nd one, not so fine. 

I suspect it's like peanut allergies.  I can eat peanuts all day and night.  So could my nephew.  Then one day, he blew up like a balloon after eating peanuts.  Now he has to carry an epi-pen in case there's even a whiff of peanut dust where he goes.  Go figure.

I'm not anti-vax.  But I am in favor of looking at your age, and your risk profile to make your decision.  My big gripe is that it's tough to look at your risk profile if they won't publish risk data.  On both sides, the vax and Covid, and especially by age group. 

My risk profile changed after my 2nd Pfizer, even without a fancy study.  I follow the topic in case someone figures out how to undo the damage.

• Like 1

covid was a wet dream as big pharma tried to scare people for more then 40 years to get an annual flu shot that is just a guess of what strain MIGHT be popular next year...

still no VITAMIN D advise, you know, what you get for free, from the sun, specially here in TH or to take 5.000 IU each day during the winter, you know, when there is less sun and it is cold and people cover up, in the cold countries...

nah, there is no big money to be made

many people during the covid scare, in ER, had, you know what, almost non existing... vitamin D levels... shhhhhhttt...

let's put a link before some eager person with no knowledge about this delete my post for MISINFORMATION, here, from your friends

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9974397/

Low vitamin D levels predict outcomes of COVID-19 in patients with both severe and non-severe disease at hospitalization

Edited by john donson
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Pneumococcal vaccine is another one that should be taken be seniors. Apart from it's obvious benefit, it seems to have an even stronger strong preventive effect against dementia than does the flu vaccine.

Pneumococcal Vaccination Lowers the Risk of Alzheimer's Disease: A Study Utilizing Data from the IBM® MarketScan® Database

This study was aimed at assessing whether pneumococcal vaccinations are associated with a lower risk of Alzheimer's disease based on analysis of data from the IBM® MarketScan® Database...

Our findings demonstrated that the pneumococcal vaccine was associated with a 63% reduction in the risk of Alzheimer's disease among US adults aged 65 and older.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/38269951/