Thai Khmer - is it alive anywhere in South Isaan?

henrik2000

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

"We".

Maybe you do. 

I live in a town. I've never heard anyone refer to it as a city.

No, you haven´t. But there is a logical explanation for that. They just don´t want to hear you nitpick and tell your fabulous useless knowledge.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

And that's why you got it wrong. 555

Yeah, but I will still call them cities, as only you and maybe one more opposed that. Means you are in minority. Do you know what you do with minority? You squeeze it like a bug.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/18/2024 at 4:20 PM, youreavinalaff said:

There is only on city in Thailand. That is Bangkok.

You are a bit too strict.

Pattaya is usually called a city.

Wikipedia says "Chiang Mai[a] is the largest city in northern Thailand" (I wonder what others there are??)

A place like Si Saket (or Surin)? Maybe Gottfrid would call it a metropolis?

Edited by Lorry

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Wikipedia says "Chiang Mai[a] is the largest city in northern Thailand" (I wonder what others there are??)

What they are called does not make them something they are not.

The whole political system us didderent for a city. 

Wikipedia can be written and amended by anyone. Not a trustworthy source.

3 hours ago, Ralphanous said:

wikipedia has a interesting article about this group calling them the "Surin khmer' and quotes census data showing a decline in the number who speak it

Just search "Northern Khmer dialect" if you want to read

That's a perfect example of why Wikipedia should not be taken seriously in some cases. 

Whoever wrote that page seems to think Surin is the only Thai province Northern Khmer is spoken in.

Edited by youreavinalaff

6 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

That's a perfect example of why Wikipedia should not be taken seriously in some cases. 

Whoever wrote that page seems to think Surin is the only Thai province Northern Khmer is spoken in.

Linguists have called Northern Khmer "Surin Khmer" at a time Wikipedia and the internet didn't exist yet.

I have always found it strange,  but don't blame Wikipedia.

Surin Khmer is by some considered unique in that it is the only language where every vowel of the vowel triangle is used as a phoneme.

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

Linguists have called Northern Khmer "Surin Khmer" at a time Wikipedia and the internet didn't exist yet.

I have always found it strange,  but don't blame Wikipedia.

Surin Khmer is by some considered unique in that it is the only language where every vowel of the vowel triangle is used as a phoneme.

Not only in Surin. 

That is my point.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my village just outside Prakhonchai, Buriram province, most of the locals speak Khmer between each other. The only time I hear Thai spoken is when a local wants to borrow money from me. I tell them -in Thai - that I do not understand!😀

When my wife and I have been to Siem reap , her speaking the Khmer language has enabled her to enter attractions for the Cambodian price.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

When my wife and I have been to Siem reap , her speaking the Khmer language has enabled her to enter attractions for the Cambodian price.

Ha ha. When I took my b/f (Surin Khmer) to Siem Reap several years ago (his first time in Cambodia) he was rather shy for a couple of days and only slowly realized he could understand at least 50% of the locals' speech and gradually got up courage to chat with them ...

What struck me - both times I've been there - was the number of beggars on the street and their persistence. Plus the usual tourists-only scams.

31 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

In my village just outside Prakhonchai, Buriram province, most of the locals speak Khmer between each other. The only time I hear Thai spoken is when a local wants to borrow money from me. I tell them -in Thai - that I do not understand!😀

My wife and I are back in Austraila for a while and she finds her Khmer very useful in Markets here

Edited by Ralphanous

38 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

All our older family are fluent in Khmer, not the younger ones so much and the even younger ones are worse. I wonder what posters think about it's future, will it slowly die out? Should be taught in schools in khmer speaking regions is my opinion.

Edited by proton

On 9/20/2024 at 12:09 AM, Lorry said:

No, I would not call it a metropolis. There you probably only have Bangkok. What I was doing, was using regular everyday words for named locations with a fairly good amout of population. It´s like you post too strict, I would say nitpicking. I am from Sweden and there we are calling cities for "städer", which is plural form of city (stad). I know for a fact that is very common in other countries too. Therefore there are many more with me, calling towns for cities.

It just super silly to pick on a thing like that. Shows, that the person have nothing better to do.

Edited by Gottfrid

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

No, I would not call it a metropolis. There you probably only have Bangkok. What I was doing, was using regular everyday words for named locations with a fairly good amout of population. It´s like you post too strict, I would say nitpicking. I am from Sweden and there we are calling cities for "städer", which is plural form of city (stad). I know for a fact that is very common in other countries too. Therefore there are many more with me, calling towns for cities.

It just super silly to pick on a thing like that. Shows, that the person have nothing better to do.

In your language, maybe. In English, the language you are speaking here, NO.

There is no way any one in UK would refer to a town as a city. I believe the same would go for other English speaking nations.

It's not nit picking. It's called using correct language. I'm surprised you believe yourself qualified to teach an Englishman how to speak English.

I have lots to do. Teaching English being one of them.

There is no way any one in UK would refer to a town as a city. I believe the same would go for other English speaking nations.

It's not nit picking. It's called using correct language. I'm surprised you believe yourself qualified to teach an Englishman how to speak English.

English has a 3-way distinction,  village - town - city.

Not easy to figure this out for people whose language has only a 2-way distinction.

It doesn't make things easier for us non-native speakers that in the US they call things a town even if there are only 100  inhabitants (they just don't use the word village, it seems).

So, let me ask an Englishman: do you call Chiang Mai, Korat and Pattaya "town" or "city"?

Can you just beat it now. UK and USA are not telling the rest of the world how to speak. Here we have an international forum, where we don´t need any teachers. You don´t need to teach me anything. The rest of the majority of the members here understood and accepted my post as it is. You on the other hand keep on, like you not have lots to do. You are truly acting like a child. Doesn´t matter what you post or what you say. Neither does it matter what you think you can teach. I will still use the common word "cities", that most people in the world would use instead of town.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Lorry said:

English has a 3-way distinction,  village - town - city.

Not easy to figure this out for people whose language has only a 2-way distinction.

It doesn't make things easier for us non-native speakers that in the US they call things a town even if there are only 100  inhabitants (they just don't use the word village, it seems).

So, let me ask an Englishman: do you call Chiang Mai, Korat and Pattaya "town" or "city"?

They are all towns. That's is how they are defined in political and linguistic terms in Thai.

Edited by youreavinalaff

34 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Can you just beat it now. UK and USA are not telling the rest of the world how to speak. Here we have an international forum, where we don´t need any teachers. You don´t need to teach me anything. The rest of the majority of the members here understood and accepted my post as it is. You on the other hand keep on, like you not have lots to do. You are truly acting like a child. Doesn´t matter what you post or what you say. Neither does it matter what you think you can teach. I will still use the common word "cities", that most people in the world would use instead of town.

Nothing to do with UK or USA.

As I pointed out in a previous post,  Buriram, Surin and Sissaket don't have any cities. As defined in Thai language. You can't call them cities just because they have buses. Prakhonchai, Nang Rong, Lamplaimat, Prasat, Sikhoraphum, Chum Het, Satuk, for examples, have buses. They are not called cities.

I'm not keeping on, either. I stated the facts. You keep on ignoring them.

Edited by youreavinalaff

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

They are all towns. That's is how they are defined in political and linguistic terms.

Thanks. I didn't think a town could be so big, I stand corrected. 

18 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Nothing to do with UK or USA.

As I pointed out in a previous post,  Buriram, Surin and Sissaket don't have any cities. As defined in Thai language. You can't call them cities just because they have buses. Prakhonchai, Nang Rong, Lamplaimat, Prasat, Sikhoraphum, Chum Het, Satuk, for examples, have buses. They are not called cities.

I'm not keeping on, either. I stated the facts. You keep on ignoring them.

Yeah, but here we talked about where they speak khmer i Thailand, and that is definitely in and around the cities I mentioned. This is not a thread for showing off your expertise in what Thailand have as a definition regarding village, towns or cities. And, no! It´s not a city because there are buses going to them. That was just an example, that you will probably also get hooked on.

Now, for the last time. Other members on this forum understand perfectly well without giving me a lesson about Thai definitions or how UK look at things. I thought I would not come to this again, but apparently you are one of those stuck up, tight arsed and arrogant Brits that we actually do not need here.

Other Brits on this forum, please accept my apologies. The comment above, does not include you.

29 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Thanks. I didn't think a town could be so big, I stand corrected. 

He just say they are all Towns, out of 2 simple reasons.

1.  Thailand only define Bangkok as a city.
2. Because he is used to this from the UK, as they have a unique definition that basically goes against the world

Below you have UN and Worldbanks international descriptions and measurements that are todays standard.
image.png.24a93b223f333c434fe0e356c9b8e7de.png

How do we define cities, towns, and rural areas? (worldbank.org)

40 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

They are all towns. That's is how they are defined in political and linguistic terms in Thai.

Maybe you are not aware of this, but what you are talking about is the following:

ในเมือง - Nai mueang

เมือง - Mueang

That is the Thai definitions you are referring to. Just because you relate to UK, you translate that to: in the town or town. In reality, it also translates to in the city and city. That means that you are once again trying to force UK ways of thinking on the rest of the world. As I have already posted to Lorry, you can see that the international standards support my definition in English.

Are we finished now?

Yeah, but here we talked about where they speak khmer i Thailand, and that is definitely in and around the cities I mentioned. This is not a thread for showing off your expertise in what Thailand have as a definition regarding village, towns or cities. And, no! It´s not a city because there are buses going to them. That was just an example, that you will probably also get hooked on.

Now, for the last time. Other members on this forum understand perfectly well without giving me a lesson about Thai definitions or how UK look at things. I thought I would not come to this again, but apparently you are one of those stuck up, tight arsed and arrogant Brits that we actually do not need here.

Other Brits on this forum, please accept my apologies. The comment above, does not include you.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm not showing off and have, in fact, been thanked for my information.

Maybe you are not aware of this, but what you are talking about is the following:

ในเมือง - Nai mueang

เมือง - Mueang

That is the Thai definitions you are referring to. Just because you relate to UK, you translate that to: in the town or town. In reality, it also translates to in the city and city. That means that you are once again trying to force UK ways of thinking on the rest of the world. As I have already posted to Lorry, you can see that the international standards support my definition in English.

Are we finished now?

Muang is the name of the centre of the province. The town. Nai Muang refers to the central sub district within that town.

Bangkok, a city, known in its abbreviated Thai form as Krungthepmahanakorn is the city. "Maha" meaning large. Large town translating to City.

Just like Samut means sea and Maha Samut means Ocean.

I doubt anyone would call the Andaman Sea, an Ocean.

I'm not forcing UK or English on anyone. I'm explaining Thai language.

Edited by youreavinalaff

Thailand only define Bangkok as a city.

There you go.

Nothing about UK. Nothing about the world. Nothing about English language. Nothing about forcing anything on anyone.

All about Thai definition. It really is that simple. I'm glad you know understand that.

Edited by youreavinalaff