Thai police shut down 21 villas on Koh Samui, foreigners evicted

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Umlungu said:

So what happens next? Bulldoze the lot and reinstate the hill environment to its oiginal state? doubt it. Who would pay for that?

The developer  is expected to  pay, but  it is the local municipality budget that pays.

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

A much 'lightened' wallet too.

I bought, built and sold.  Made money AND I have lived rent free for 24 years and counting.

I even get revenue for the ones that I haven't sold.

Yeh, sure - buying is for mugs :cheesy:

Had a house built, lived in it for 8 years, sold at 2.5mb net profit. 

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

I believe the basic law in Thailand is that any land that has an incline of over 19% is automatically property of the crown - so any building on land like that either has special permission (e.g. Temples) or is illegal.

I can think of many structures on steeper land but somehow they get approval. It seems often once somebody gets in for whatever reason and builds something they virtually never pull it down so there's an incentive to pay bribes and build before a higher authority finds out. Samui is just too high profile to get away with it so easily. Also the gradient is 30% I think.

32 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I can think of many structures on steeper land but somehow they get approval. It seems often once somebody gets in for whatever reason and builds something they virtually never pull it down so there's an incentive to pay bribes and build before a higher authority finds out. Samui is just too high profile to get away with it so easily. Also the gradient is 30% I think.

"I can think of many structures on steeper land" - I don't think you could actually name them. the rule is  that  a gradient / slope more than 19 degrees or 35%: Building (or modification of existing) is not permitted!

As I said there may be exceptions granted on behalf of the crown - temples being the main example.

On Samui this has long been a problem though down to corruption.

I think there was some retro dispensation given to some building as well.....but I'd like to hear your examples.

THailand is one country where I've seen a lot of buildings knocked down after planning law breaches - specifically jungle encroachment seems an example.

THere is also the problem with long-term derelict buildings where construction has stopped for one reason or another.

Edited by kwilco

8 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I fear you have been reading too much of the posts concerning the upcoming U.S. elections. The tone, outlook would fit right in with the ridiculous anger venting … jai yen, yen  (not meant as a criticism, just an observation out of concern …).

I've been hanging around this forum since 2004 or so, before joining in 2009.

Believe me, hang 'em high is nothing in the least bit new on AN (once Thai Visa). It well predates the US election 555.

Edited by BusyB