Changes to "Long Term" Non-IMM Visas - 5 Year "Non-OA" Retirement Visa? (PURE SPECULATION).

When the changes to Visa Exempt and the new DTV were announced in June, they also said that they would announce changes to the "Long Term" & Non Immigration Visas in September (i.e. This month) so whilst doing a search for news on any changes I came across this website which claims to offer a 5 year Non-IMM "O-A" Retirement Visa... 

https://www.thailandimmigration.org/thailand-5-year-retirement-visa/

NB This is not a typo & being confused with the existing Non-IM "O-X" Visa as the requirements are very different & don't match any existing Visa type so if it's real it is a new kind of Visa... 

Eligibility Criteria

To qualify for the 5-Year Retirement Visa, applicants must meet the following criteria:

• Income: Demonstrate a monthly income of at least 50,000 Thai Baht (approximately $1,500 USD) or its equivalent from a reliable source, such as pensions, investments, or rental income.
  • Proof of funds: Provide evidence of sufficient funds to support your stay in Thailand. This typically involves bank statements or other financial documents.

Benefits of the 5-Year Retirement Visa

• Extended Stay: Enjoy a continuous stay of up to five years in Thailand without the need for frequent visa extensions.
  • Multiple Entries: Benefit from multiple entries into the country, allowing for travel to neighboring countries and returns to Thailand without applying for a new visa.
  • Easy Renewals: The renewal process for the 5-Year Retirement Visa is relatively straightforward, requiring you to submit the necessary documents and pay the renewal fee.
  • Access to Healthcare: Enjoy access to Thailand’s affordable healthcare system, which offers a wide range of medical services and facilities.
  • Quality of Life: Experience a high quality of life in Thailand, with its stunning beaches, vibrant culture, and friendly people.

Have to say it looks very sensible to me (so probably won't happen) & would be a welcome change/addition to the current 1 year Non-IMM O/OA "Retirement" Visas...

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

I was at CW a few months ago to renew my O-X visa, i was told by one of the supervisors, just to wait, as the retirement visa system was being changed and will be made simpler in  early 2025, she also suggested that i would not be able to get health insurance for the visa, i have no doubt that this particular visa will no longer be available

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

When the changes to Visa Exempt and the new DTV were announced in June, they also said that they would announce changes to the "Long Term" & Non Immigration Visas in September

They announced changes to the Non Imm O-A visa, known as the 'long stay retirement' visa.

The change was to reduce the mandatory Health Insurance from the current 3M BHT requirement, to 400K inpatient, 40K outpatient between September - December.

If it's not from an official Immigration website, treat it with a pinch of salt.

46 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

They announced changes to the Non Imm O-A visa, known as the 'long stay retirement' visa.

The change was to reduce the mandatory Health Insurance from the current 3M BHT requirement, to 400K inpatient, 40K outpatient between September - December.

If it's not from an official Immigration website, treat it with a pinch of salt.

They also announced a reduction in the number of Non-IMM visas (IIRC from 17 to 7) so there should be another update coming (allegedly this month). 

Totally agree with treating any non-official sources with a pinch of salt until it's confirmed by Immigration, just thought this was interesting as it seems to be dated 17th September so is a relatively new thing & got me thinking about what possible changes they could make.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did announce a new 5 year Retirement/Marriage Visa when you consider people can get a 5 year Visa for simply having a Dental appointment nowadays.

Edited by Mike Teavee

28 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

They also announced a reduction in the number of Non-IMM visas (IIRC from 17 to 7) so there should be another update coming (allegedly this month). 

Only 9 different types of Non Imm visas listed on the Thai Embassy DC site.
I suspect for each type of visa, there will still remain multiple options for the purposes of your visit.
https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visa-fees-validity?menu=64ef5ba41986b07d37326263

33 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they did announce a new 5 year Retirement/Marriage Visa when you consider people can get a 5 year Visa for simply having a Dental appointment nowadays.

Subject to either 180 day extensions, or border bounces for new entries and no doubt for the softer options, proof of booking a class or course.

I'll stick with my annual extensions @1,900 BHT per annum, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Only 9 different types of Non Imm visas listed on the Thai Embassy DC site.
I suspect for each type of visa, there will still remain multiple options for the purposes of your visit.
https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visa-fees-validity?menu=64ef5ba41986b07d37326263

I knew I'd read somewhere that they were reducing from 17 to 7 & a quick Google suggests that they've already made the announcement...

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

I'll stick with my annual extensions @1,900 BHT per annum, thanks.

I've no choice this year as I've recently done my annual extension (am good to 25/12/25) but would happily pay more to only have to jump through the hoops once every 5 years...

1,900 for extension, 3,800 for multi re-entry then add on another 300 in bank letters, travel to immigration etc... & you're at 25K for the 5 years, in my case I pay an agent 12K to do the extension/Multi Re-Entry permit so am at > 60K for the 5 years & would be happy to pay that).

Edited by Mike Teavee

It can be interesting to speculate on such. 

I believe both immigration and the foreigners would appreciate not having to process/do yearly extensions, with the required time and paperwork.  

I am a bit skeptical thou such would come to pass with only a demonstrated monthly income of 50,000 THB/month.  That is a big drop over the current 80,000 THB for only 1 year for reason of retirement (for a current Type-O/OA).  Also, in addition to the proof of monthly income, there is no amount written in that link as to what qualifies as "proof of funds".  

I also don't believe such until it appears in the Gazette, ... I do though also believe it would be nice to see such. 

Further I suspect if it comes to pass, the eligibility criteria will be larger than that in the noted OPs link.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

....in my case I pay an agent 12K to do the extension/Multi Re-Entry permit so am at > 60K for the 5 years & would be happy to pay that).

Guessing 8k extension using your own financials + 4k multi reentry permit.

Had interesting chat yesterday with agent regarding DTV.

Big bucks but 5 yr, requires trip to Savannakhet. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

It can be interesting to speculate on such. 

I believe both immigration and the foreigners would appreciate not having to process/do yearly extensions, with the required time and paperwork.  

I am a bit skeptical thou such would come to pass with only a demonstrated monthly income of 50,000 THB/month.  That is a big drop over the current 80,000 THB for only 1 year for reason of retirement (for a current Type-O/OA).  Also, in addition to the proof of monthly income, there is no amount written in that link as to what qualifies as "proof of funds".  

I also don't believe such until it appears in the Gazette, ... I do though also believe it would be nice to see such. 

Further I suspect if it comes to pass, the eligibility criteria will be larger than that in the noted OPs link.

Pure speculation but I could see a requirement to have 50K pm income & maintain a minimum balance in your Account (E.g. 800K but cannot go below this). 

Edited by Mike Teavee

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

so whilst doing a search for news on any changes I came across this website which claims to offer a 5 year Non-IMM "O-A" Retirement Visa..

This site claims this OA visa already exists, and apparently has been in place long enough to become popular.

Thailand 5-Year Retirement Visa, officially known as the O-A Visa, has become a popular choice for retirees

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Thailand 5-Year Retirement Visa, officially known as the O-A Visa, has become a popular choice for retirees

That is of course rubbish. Mixing up 2 different things.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

That is of course rubbish. Mixing up 2 different things.

Really?  Another agent also has similar information but different financials.

The Thai government offers several visa options for retirees, among which the 5-Year Retirement Visa (also known as the Non-Immigrant OA Visa) stands out for its convenience and extended duration.

https://www.thaiimmigration.net/5-year-retirement-visa-thailand.html

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Really?  Another agent also has similar information.

The Thai government offers several visa options for retirees, among which the 5-Year Retirement Visa (also known as the Non-Immigrant OA Visa) stands out for its convenience and extended duration.

No official announcement from a credible source, and no mention on any of the Thai Embassy websites I just perused through.

Edited by Liquorice

2 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Well, unless that represents a major change in the setup for long-term stays? No announcement that I've seen.

My O/A retirement visa hasn't changed in the 8 years I've had it and there's nothing there about '5 years'! Just an annual renewal (for me next month), involving trudging around from bank to medical office and on & on. And, in my case, minimum 65K฿ imported every month.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

That looks like the existing Non-IMM O-X Visa...  

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

My O/A retirement visa hasn't changed in the 8 years I've had it and there's nothing there about '5 years'! Just an annual renewal (for me next month), involving trudging around from bank to medical office and on & on. And, in my case, minimum 65K฿ imported every month.

Your Non Imm O-A visa expired a year after it was issued.

You extend your permission of stay each year, not the visa.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

I agree that there is already a 5 year Non-Imm O-A visa for retirement in existence. The main differences that I can see between the 5 year visa and the 1 year visa is the funds. The 5 year visa requires 3 million THB in the bank compared to 800kTHB for the 1 year visa OR a monthly income of 100kTHB compared to 65KTHB and the mandatory health insurance is at the 400k/40k level.

The question I'd be asking Immigration, if you have the 3 million, is would be possible to transfer from the annual extensions to the 5 year extensions and if so can it be done at the next annual extension?

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I agree that there is already a 5 year Non-Imm O-A visa for retirement in existence. The main differences that II can see between the 5 year visa and the 1 year visa is the funds. The 5 year visa requires 3 million THB in the bank compared to 800kTHB for the 1 year visa and a monthly income of 100kTHB compared to 65KTHB and mandatory health insurance is at the 400k/40k level.

The question I'd be asking Immigration, if you have the 3 million, would be is it possible to transfer from the annual extensions to the 5 year extensions and if so can it be done at the next annual extension?

The 3 million in the bank is what is required for an O-X visa, and it is not available inside Thailand

Edited by howerde
wrong text
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I knew I'd read somewhere that they were reducing from 17 to 7 & a quick Google suggests that they've already made the announcement...

I've no choice this year as I've recently done my annual extension (am good to 25/12/25) but would happily pay more to only have to jump through the hoops once every 5 years...

1,900 for extension, 3,800 for multi re-entry then add on another 300 in bank letters, travel to immigration etc... & you're at 25K for the 5 years, in my case I pay an agent 12K to do the extension/Multi Re-Entry permit so am at > 60K for the 5 years & would be happy to pay that).

I need a bit of information from you if you do not mind.

You said, "I've no choice this year as I've recently done my annual extension (am good to 25/12/25) but would happily pay more to only have to jump through the hoops once every 5 years..."

Just a question, it is now September 2024, how did you manage to extend your visa to December 2025.

I have the visa extension based on retirement plus 800k baht in the bank, my next visa extension is due on the 22nd Feb 2025.

So is there a way to extend the visa a few months in advance or do you have a different type of visa?

13 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

So is there a way to extend the visa a few months in advance or do you have a different type of visa?

You can extend up to 45 days in advance at most Immigration offices (certainly Bangkok & Pattaya) and a good agent can get your extension up to 3 months in advance. 

42 minutes ago, JamesPhuket10 said:

Just a question, it is now September 2024, how did you manage to extend your visa to December 2025.

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Sorry brain fart.... 25/09/25 (25th September 2025)... 

2 hours ago, howerde said:

The 3 million in the bank is what is required for an O-X visa, and it is not available inside Thailand

According to Siam legal it's also what is required for a 5 year O-A visa based on retirement.

see this link from Siam legal.  5-Year Retirement Visa Thailand | Thai Immigration.

However, after doing some more in depth research it would appear that Siam Legal are incorrect with their post with regards to the O-A based on retirement also being available for 5 years as the Thai Immigration website only makes mention of the O-A for retirement being for 1 year.

Although I also telephoned my local IO with regards to this and they did say when doing my next annual extension that I could change from O-A to O-X as long as I had the insurance and 3 million in the bank. I'm not entirely convinced that this is correct though.

• Like 1