What is this cap on floodlight?

giddyup

Check with a mains tester or volt meter that you have power to the switch ( and the switch is disconnecting hot instead of neutral ). If the switch has power to it and closing the switch put power to the wire to the light, then check for voltage at the hot wire in the light.

This is an incandescent bulb ?

Edited by degrub

A couple of squirts of WD40 inside the socket got the light working. I think there's been some corrosion as it's an outdoor light and been there for years.

Now I want to try a LED sensor globe that turn on at dusk and off at dawn in the same socket, but need to order from Lazada.

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Looks like a potential cable entry.  Here is a very similar item.....

image.png.af8a886cd106f08eafc70a5a8cf43d42.png

Looks pretty much identical. Is the cap so the light can be wired from the back?

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

Looks very much like that to me, I guess the cap can be replaced with a gland to seal the cable.

There's a red dot on the cap which can possibly be punched out to allow a tighter fit for the cable. Thanks, I think that answers my question.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Looks pretty much identical. Is the cap so the light can be wired from the back?

btw, that picture is from an internet site selling old stuff.  Vintage (1970's) Italian garden light, GBP 214.  How many you got? 

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

btw, that picture is from an internet site selling old stuff.  Vintage (1970's) Italian garden light, GBP 214.  How many you got? 

I have three, all bought from Homeworks Pattaya at least 12 years ago, so not quite 70's vintage.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Photo is not a lot of help, where does the power go into the lamp ? where is it

connected ?

Power connects via the base which is screwed to a wooden railing.

21 minutes ago, degrub said:

Check with a mains tester or volt meter that you have power to the switch ( and the switch is disconnecting hot instead of neutral ). If the switch has power to it and closing the switch put power to the wire to the light, then check for voltage at the hot wire in the light.

This is an incandescent bulb ?

Got it working again, sprayed with WD40, either moisture or corrosion inside. The globe is a floodlight, but I want to replace it with a sensor light.

Edited by giddyup

37 minutes ago, novacova said:

See if there’s a holding mechanism/clip against the rear of the socket inside the housing. 

I think I have the correct answer, and that is that the cap allows the light to be wired through the back.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

There is a screw on cap at the back of this floodlight, no idea what it's purpose is. The light has stopped working for some reason, tried changing the globe but still doesn't work.

P1060160.JPG

26 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Power connects via the base which is screwed to a wooden railing.

That is no help to me I don't know what is considered the 'Base', how is the cable connected inside to the bulb holder ? as I said a better photo from further away could help.