Expert Urges Government To Raise Tax For Foreign Condo Buyers

4 hours ago, timendres said:

I think there might be one other thing going on here.

The Thai government is getting quite desperate for revenues.

They are frantically looking everywhere for potential income (spelled tee aitch e ef tee)

To @chiang mai's point, I suspect the potential tsunami of money that would like to

escape China is also a concern. Not so much to protect Thai nationals, but to prevent

an unsustainable inflation that could jeopardize their banking system. I suspect that the

ghosts of the Tom Yum Kung crisis still haunt decision makers here.

Fear of those ghosts has been evident in many aspects of the Thai economy, ever  since the crash. Between 2000 and 2020, the government debt to GDP ratio was driven down to as low as 38%, it was only the appearance of covid that forced them to spend more. Even the IMF was telling them year after year that it's OK to run a sensible budget deficit but still they refused..

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/government-debt-to-gdp

Screenshot(137).png.65270925efa375d94fab3ba2c0d1a73e.png

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 8:39 AM, Mason45 said:

I have 3 properties all in my wife's name. There's been no problems so far and we've been married for 22 years. Thai women aren't the only ones who choose to take their husbands / partners to the cleaners.

I think you are confused. Your wife has 3 properties in her name. You have zero properties in your own name. She could sell it and the money is all hers.