Rising Homelessness in the US Linked to Migrant Influx and Economic Pressures

Social Media

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

My work is done here. 

The problem with a lot of these liberal types is, not only do they think they have some sort of responsibility to troll anyone who disagrees with them, and think that it's required of them to keep them taking on the internet and winding them up for as long as possible, but they also appear to have zero qualms about lying and trolling, even while constantly accusing others of doing the same.

It feels like they think they're "winning" as long as they keep replying, even if it doesn't move the conversation on at all.

And, even after all this trolling and harassment, they still think they're the good guys...  🙄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jippytum said:

Have you been in a coma?? 

No I haven’t.

Now back to you producing evidence to back your claim that immigrants are being provided accommodation in 5 star hotels.

One immigrant in one five star hotel will do.

Have another go.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

The problem with a lot of these liberal types is, not only do they think they have some sort of responsibility to troll anyone who disagrees with them, and think that it's required of them to keep them taking on the internet and winding them up for as long as possible, but they also appear to have zero qualms about lying and trolling, even while constantly accusing others of doing the same.

It feels like they think they're "winning" as long as they keep replying, even if it doesn't move the conversation on at all.

And, even after all this trolling and harassment, they still think they're the good guys...  🙄

Do you feel better after that?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

The combined ignorance and arrogance is amazing.

"Go ahead, I'll wait...  😃"

Then when the evidence proving them wrong arrives...?  Silence...

Supported by the links to credible sources that I frequently post.

You on the other hand are engaging in ad hominem.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Your personal attacks are like water off a ducks back.

I merely described what you were doing.  It's all there if you want to go back through the comments and confirm.

No personal attacks here.  I have no need of them.

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

It's an official record of the council meeting proceedings, what does it matter who posted it.

It was clearly edited and it matters what was deleted and what the context of her testimony was.

She spent some time complaining about not being able to communicate. Was this in reference to the lack of French language instruction in Springfield’s schools?

Was she complaining about laws that allow three-day notice of eviction? Laws formulated by a Republican-controlled statehouse?

Probably not, but we don’t know because of selective editing and lack of context. What else may be missing from her testimony?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It was clearly edited and it matters what was deleted and what the context of her testimony was.

She spent some time complaining about not being able to communicate. Was this in reference to the lack of French language instruction in Springfield’s schools?

Was she complaining about laws that allow three-day notice of eviction? Laws formulated by a Republican-controlled statehouse?

Probably not, but we don’t know because of selective editing and lack of context. What else may be missing from her testimony?

Precisely why I neither post nor comment on videos.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tug said:

Another murdoc rag,put those people to work picking fruit and other crops like in the old days get the bipartisan border bill passed for more border patrol more fentanyl enforcement more judges and case workers to weed out the fake asylum seeker’s.

Thanks to the Biden/Harris administration.  You can't see this TUG?   And you want 4 more years of this and worse??

54 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No I haven’t.

Now back to you producing evidence to back your claim that immigrants are being provided accommodation in 5 star hotels.

One immigrant in one five star hotel will do.

Have another go.

Maybe you missed this before, but I wrote;

Not sure if it is  a five star anymore, but the iconic Roosevelt Hotel in NYC.  Or The Row New York City. I believe it was a 4 star, but will that do in a pinch? More than 1300 rooms, the city is paying $5 million a month to rent the whole place as an immigrant shelter.The Crowne Plaza at JFK airport is getting $2 million a month as a shelter as well. Average payout is about $350 per room per night overall in the city.

Obviously "five star hotel" is a euphemism. The broader and more important point is that illegal immigrants are being housed in, shall we say 'luxury', accommodation at taxpayer expense. While American homeless and poor are left on the street and in shelters. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Not sure if it is  a five star anymore, but the iconic Roosevelt Hotel in NYC.  Or The Row New York City. I believe it was a 4 star, but will that do in a pinch? More than 1300 rooms, the city is paying $5 million a month to rent the whole place as an immigrant shelter.The Crowne Plaza at JFK airport is getting $2 million a month as a shelter as well. Average payout is about $350 per room per night overall in the city.

Obviously "five star hotel" is a euphemism. The broader and more important point is that illegal immigrants are being housed in, shall we say 'luxury', accommodation at taxpayer expense. While American homeless and poor are left on the street and in shelters. 

As I wrote before, silence...

Next he'll be saying that he doesn't have to acknowledge that because, "it's a right-wing talking point".  😆

Make the wild claim/accusation then: deflect, deflect, deflect.  🙄

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

No I didn’t miss it, rather it doesn’t help jippy out of the hole dug he himself in his post I was responding to:

9 hours ago, jippytum said:

Those who disregarded the statistics regarding homeless people and illegal immigration are misguided. 

In the UK illegal immigrants are given priority housing often in five star hotels.  

So now that it’s clear jippy can’t deliver a single immigrant being provided accommodation in a five star hotel, let’s deal with your half truths regarding The Roosevelt ‘Hotel’.

It’s no longer a hotel, it was a business fatality of the COVID recession in the hotel business and closed:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/travel/article/roosevelt-hotel-new-york-closing-trnd

NYC have since rented the closed former hotel as emergency temporary accommodation for migrants.

Wrt your statement:

“The broader and more important point is that illegal immigrants are being housed in, shall we say 'luxury', accommodation at taxpayer expense. While American homeless and poor are left on the street and in shelters.”

NY is a bit more civilized about the matter:

“It is our moral and legal obligation to provide shelter to anyone who needs it,” the city’s Department of Social Services said in a statement. “As such, we have utilized, and will continue to utilize, every tool at our disposal to meet the needs of every family and individual who comes to us seeking shelter.

https://fortune.com/2023/05/15/roosevelt-hotel-being-converted-to-shelters-in-the-face-of-an-expected-wave-of-asylum-seekers/

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

As I wrote before, silence...

Next he'll be saying that he doesn't have to acknowledge that because, "it's a right-wing talking point".  😆

Make the wild claim/accusation then: deflect, deflect, deflect.  🙄

Once again, do you have anything at all to say about the subject under discussion?

Oh and see my response to Hanaguma, you shot too soon. 

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Be assured, in the run up to voting millions of Americans will be checking their stock holdings and what they see will have a bearing on their voting choice.

The homeless don't have stock holdings

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

“It is our moral and legal obligation to provide shelter to anyone who needs it,” the city’s Department of Social Services said in a statement. “As such, we have utilized, and will continue to utilize, every tool at our disposal to meet the needs of every family and individual who comes to us seeking shelter.

So why are people homeless in NY?

It's an awful situation that can befall anyone through not fault of  their own, it is crucial that there are safeguards to help families to get housing they need.

It's not just about housing, that's just one part, then there's living expenses..

When people fall on hard times the state should be there to bail them out. This is the humane thing and given that BILLIONS of dollars of taxes are collected why are these homeless not housed and given sufficient funds to live?

Edited by Cameroni

9 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

So why are people homeless in NY?

It's an awful situation that can befall anyone through not fault of  their own, it is crucial that there are safeguards to help families to get housing they need.

It's not just about housing, that's just one part, then there's living expenses..

When people fall on hard times the state should be there to bail them out. This is the humane thing and given that BILLIONS of dollars of taxes are collected why are these homeless not housed and given sufficient funds to live?

I expect the reasons are as varied as there are homeless people.

Yes I agree, there should be more support, but NY provides a lot more help than many states.

Refer the comment you quoted from my post. 

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I expect the reasons are as varied as there are homeless people.

Yes I agree, there should be more support, but NY provides a lot more help than many states.

Refer the comment you quoted from my post. 

Nice words are all very well, but NY is one of the places with record homelessness.

Given that there are literally billions spent on welfare programs, including housing aid, why are there so many homeless in NY?

It was the wealth destruction brought on by politicians during Covid

"The COVID-19 pandemic, and associated economic downturn, housing shortages and housing price inflation, outpacing wage growth, and the end of government protections and assistance to counter the economic effects of COVID-19 -- along with the explosive growth in addictions to methamphetamine, opioids, and Fentanyl -- contributed to a sharp rise in homelessness in the early 2020s.

By 2023, according to the federal survey, a record 653,104 homeless were identified in the annual federal survey -- a 12% jump over the previous year, quadruple any other year's increase, with increases in every category and demographic of homelessness."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_the_United_States#:~:text=The main contributor to homelessness,a role in explaining homelessness.

The homeless are not immigrants, and they are not caused by immigrants, they were caused by local politicians ruining people with their Covid policies.

13 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Nice words are all very well, but NY is one of the places with record homelessness.

Given that there are literally billions spent on welfare programs, including housing aid, why are there so many homeless in NY?

Perhaps you could write to the head of NY social services.

Let us know what response you get.

9 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

It was the wealth destruction brought on by politicians during Covid

"The COVID-19 pandemic, and associated economic downturn, housing shortages and housing price inflation, outpacing wage growth, and the end of government protections and assistance to counter the economic effects of COVID-19 -- along with the explosive growth in addictions to methamphetamine, opioids, and Fentanyl -- contributed to a sharp rise in homelessness in the early 2020s.

By 2023, according to the federal survey, a record 653,104 homeless were identified in the annual federal survey -- a 12% jump over the previous year, quadruple any other year's increase, with increases in every category and demographic of homelessness."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_the_United_States#:~:text=The main contributor to homelessness,a role in explaining homelessness.

The homeless are not immigrants, and they are not caused by immigrants, they were caused by local politicians ruining people with their Covid policies.

Ah Wikipedia and COVID conspiracies, it’s an intoxicating mix.

Perhaps you could write to the head of NY social services.

Let us know what response you get.

Rather than provide nice words these people should be doing their job and get the homeless off the streets.

Most do not want to be there, and it is sheer poverty that brought them to the streets.

Ah Wikipedia and COVID conspiracies, it’s an intoxicating mix.

What conspiracy are you on about, it is very obvious that the poverty brought on by the wealth destruction during Covid caused the spike in homeless.

The new arrivals, for the most part, will probably be absorbed into existing immigrant communities around the country and will soon be doing jobs that native Americans either can't or won't do. I doubt that many will end up being long-term homeless on the streets of New York or other cities. The ordeal of getting into the US through the Darien Gap and/or a trek through Mexico has already served as a filter to deter the unmotivated or unable. 

If we want to be indignant about the use of taxpayer money, I think a better case could be made to curtail agricultural subsidies and price supports that simply go into the coffers of Big Ag. Likewise uneconomical ethanol production for use in motor vehicles that couldn't exist without government mandates. These welfare schemes for large corporations and millionaire farmers make the amounts spent on housing immigrants look like chump change. The immigration issue is really small potatoes, but it is useful to Republicans to get xenophobes riled up.

The fact is, without immigration the US faces a severe labor shortage going forward. The only way to address this shortage is to accept people from countries that produce economic migrants. That rules out places like Norway, despite Trump's wishes.

An interesting read from the WSJ: https://www.wsj.com/business/immigrants-haitian-jobs-meatpacking-eb174d69?st=peMSxB&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu