Military Likely to Resist Trump's Mass Deportation Plan, Analyst Says

Social Media

On 9/24/2024 at 7:23 AM, HK MacPhooey said:

Nonsense post - how can 14-18000 immigrants being dumped in a small community of 40-50000 people be legal 

The Haitians in Springfield are not illegal immigrants and they weren't "dumped" there. Many Haitians who arrived recently were allowed in under a special protected status and went to Springfield of their own volition because of the many businesses in the town that needed workers.

Recent and longstanding immigrants said family and social networks, word-of-mouth, and the quest for higher wages and lower living costs helped draw people to Springfield.

"My friend and I heard about Ohio and Indiana, that there were a lot of work opportunities, and we made a plan and came," said Joseph, who also helps staff a local Haitian cultural center

Others are longer term immigrants who were already there. Indeed, the fact that there was an established Haitian community in the town already, was what drew some of the recent arrivals there.

Many local businesses are happy to have people to fill the job vacancies they had. 

"We needed a workforce," to fill jobs in a resurgent local manufacturing sector and staff a growing number of warehouse and distribution centers, said Amy Donahoe, director of workforce development with the Greater Springfield Partnership. "They are coming in and they are working hard and they want to make money."

How Haitian immigrants fueled Springfield's growth

Perhaps you can explain to me in what way it's not legal for immigrants who are in the country legally, to choose to go to a place where there are jobs for them to do, that the local population couldn't fill.

• Agree 1