Elite Visa Holders exempt from paying personal income tax in Thailand

22 minutes ago, Unamerican said:

Some of that 4 million would, in many countries, be taxed at 40 or 59%.  So how is this related to working? 

Dunno where you come from, but in Oz the first 400000 would be tax free (instead of 150000) while the higher tax brackets are similar. In France I'd pay half the amount I could pay here since they tax the family unit. And I am pretty sure in the US it would be even less on this sort of income.

As to the "work" issue, I meant someone young and active can step up his activity to compensate for sudden extortion by a corrupt government, while this option doesn't exist for someone in his seventies.

33 minutes ago, Unamerican said:

But is it necessary, anyway, to declare such remittances to the Thai tax system? 

You might be right, I don't know, and I won't be getting a TIN, because my understanding is that I don't need to as I am not earning an income, only remitting savings, so until they come knocking on my door or I see a link to their website stating that I must get a TIN for remitting savings, nutta 🙂

Me no understand Thai, then I will smile as they do us.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The advice given is incorrect as it implies that Elite visa holders are not liable for income tax. 

actually this is only referring to income tax due on remittances. 

Naturally this does not exempt Elite Visa holders for income tax liability in Thailand on any income earned in Thailand if they are also resident (ie > 180 days/year ) in the Kingdom. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

You might be right, I don't know, and I won't be getting a TIN, because my understanding is that I don't need to as I am not earning an income, only remitting savings, so until they come knocking on my door or I see a link to their website stating that I must get a TIN for remitting savings, nutta 🙂

Me no understand Thai, then I will smile as they do us.

Me too...exactly. Stupid smile and giggle and feign total ignorance (unlike them). 🤣

• Agree 2

I spoke with someone at TE today who seemed to have been reasonably well briefed on the  confusion caused by their newsletter, which, as a member, I had also received.

1)  She admitted that the wording of the update was misleading, as it was simply a statement of the position that applies to any tax resident  for the 2024 year. 

2) However, she added that TE was in active discussions with the government regarding the tax position of TE members going forward.

More than this she could not say because she had no direct knowledge of what was being discussed, only that discussions were taking place.

• Thumbs Up 1