Chiang Mai City, Floods Expected to Surpass 2011 Levels

Georgealbert

IMG_6029.jpeg

The flooding in Chiang Mai continues to worsen as the Ping River reaches record-breaking levels. As of 21:00, the water level in the city of Chiang Mai had risen to 4.83 metres, surpassing the 2022 flood level. Authorities expect the level to climb above 5.10 metres, exceeding the 2011 flood levels.

Reports from Chiang Mai indicate that the situation remains critical as new floodwaters from Mae Taeng District have reached the city. The flooding has expanded, inundating major economic areas such as the Night Bazaar, San Pa Khoi Market, and parts of the Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road, with water depths ranging from 50 to 100 cm. The flood levels are expected to rise further.

Floodwaters have already reached residential areas and commercial zones in all seven areas affected during the severe floods of 2011 and 2022. Early estimates suggest that over 2,000 families have been impacted so far.

Residents in all seven flood-prone zones of Chiang Mai’s city district have been advised to remain vigilant and move their belongings to higher ground to prevent damage.

IMG_6030.jpeg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-26

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

image.png

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

I was living in Thailand in 2011.  The worst flooding I ever saw.  I was living on a higher piece of ground so it never reached me, but getting around was a bitch.  

6 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

All these images from the media on the extensive flooding in Isan and Lanna are obviously AI-generated fakes, is that not correct Minister Anutin?

I think Anutin means they will protect Bangkok.....at the cost of other provinces of course.

14 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

I was living in Thailand in 2011.  The worst flooding I ever saw.  I was living on a higher piece of ground so it never reached me, but getting around was a bitch.  

I remember after the 2011 floods Bangkok people massively started buying land and property in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, because it was safe of flooding.