Getting Paid Overseas

Related to another thread I had, but just want to clarify something...

If I get paid in a bank in the US and do the work while I am in Thailand on a student visa... is this going to get me in trouble? (assuming someone finds out etc)

Yes, big trouble, assuming someone finds out and denounces you.

1. Working without a work permit: arrest and deportation.

2. Tax evasion. Don’t know the details here, but probably also not very pleasant.

--------------

Maestro

Ok thanks. :D I actually have a friend who will be a partner in a business over there and they said they can get me a work permit... but I don't think it would do me any good, because from what I understand any company that I work with I have to have a work permit with. I want to do some freelance work, but short of starting a business it's looking impossible. :o

Yes, big trouble, assuming someone finds out and denounces you.

1. Working without a work permit: arrest and deportation.

2. Tax evasion. Don’t know the details here, but probably also not very pleasant.

--------------

Maestro

I think one should moderate the answer with probability....... Keep you mouth shut to friends and colleagues and i doubt it will ever become an issue.

regardless of work permit status.

If resident in thailand, and the employer is a Thai employer, regarless of where they pay you, your income is taxable.

If resident in Thailand, and your employer is not a Thai based company, and they pay you off shore, then that money isn't taxed UNLESS it is repatriated by you back into Thailand. EG. A US company pays you $10000 to an offshore account in HK. You bring in $1000 for living expenses, that $1000 is liable for income tax at your marginal rate.

regardless of work permit status.

If resident in thailand, and the employer is a Thai employer, regarless of where they pay you, your income is taxable.

If resident in Thailand, and your employer is not a Thai based company, and they pay you off shore, then that money isn't taxed UNLESS it is repatriated by you back into Thailand. EG. A US company pays you $10000 to an offshore account in HK. You bring in $1000 for living expenses, that $1000 is liable for income tax at your marginal rate.

Thank you for that explanation. Would it be considered "working in thailand" so that I would need a work permit for that work in a situation like this? I have ways to get a work permit from another company that wants to employ me, but I also have a business in the US and could continue to get paid here and do some work over there... would I have to move the business over there or?