Computer Won't Start

Deke

The desktop computer that I use at home won't start up anymore. When I press the power button, the power LED and the hard disk LED both come on (and stay lit), the hard disk spins up and all of the fans (CPU, case and power supply) come on but the monitor remains in standby and there is no system check, etc. The thing just sits there and grins at me.

Does anybody have experience as to what has likely failed to cause this? Thanks.

My desktop did same thing 4 months ago, took it to seller (under warrenty) and they found windows, all files etc. were gone. They could not tell me why but it happened 1 week after NOD 32 had run out (they had installed) of the 1 year service and I could not update.

Check that your keyboard is securely plugged in.

If it is, then...

If the PC does not get as far as the P.O.S.T (Power-On Self-Test), then the issue could be either a corrupted BIOS or a hardware issue causing the P.O.S.T to halt. If possible, go into your BIOS setup and check to see if you have selected "stop on errors" selected. If this is selected, then it halts the boot process. (A keyboard not securely plugged in will do this.) If it isn't a keyboard, then probably another hardware item like a graphics card, drive, etc.. Unselect the "stop on errors" to help troubleshoot the issue further.

If possible, go into your BIOS setup and check to see if you have selected "stop on errors"

I can't get into the BIOS setup either. The monitor doesn't even come on.

My initial reaction was that I'm looking at replacing the mother board. Being ever hopeful though, I thought maybe someone had experienced a similar problem with a simple solution.

Bad RAM or RAM not seated correctly will do this for sure. Four months ago I had exactly the same issue. Simply took the RAM from on bay and put it into another; Viola, problem solved. If your bays are all already full then remove all the RAM and try cleaning the contacts on both the RAM and the bay (careful about static here when touching the contacts on the RAM). You should try replacing it module by module and try powering up the machine as a process of elimination. You may find (if you have more than one stick) just one of the modules is causing the problem.

Usually if I get to this stage I would try removing all peripherals (hard disks, expansion cards etc) and plugging them back in until whatever it was that broke things breaks things if you get my meaning. Having another working machine with similar hardware is also very useful in this situation as it helps to weed out which piece of hardware is faulty by swapping know working hardware for the hardware you're not sure about.

Good luck

erm - you did check the monitor cable, right?

does the HD proceed to make noise eg could be starting up? like... trrrk... trrk trrrk trrrrrk (doing my best impression here..:o) ? Or does the HD stay silent?

Edited by nikster

I tried cleaning and reseating the RAM, one module at a time. I also tried resetting the CMOS but still no luck.

I can hear the hard disk come up to speed and feel that it is spinning.

There are no beeps at all when I turn on the power. From the wiki that A-Traveller referenced, it looks like my original fear of a mainboard problem may be correct.

if you have a special video card like nvideo, you might want to take it out, and see what happens.

you mentioned that the bios screen flash at the time of bootup doesn't scroll in front of you.

it the bios screen flash DOES go partly through during bootup before crashing, then, check to see if you have a floppy, flash card, or some usb based device hooked up to your pc. if so, take it out, or unlink the usb cord from pc.

if you have a floppy drive, put a bootable floppy into it and try to boot up. if no floppy drive, try to do so with a bootable cd.

are you linked to a network or to a router? temporarily unlink and see what happens at bootup.

sometimes, a pin gets broken in a cable. check your connectors to see if a pin has been bent or broken off in your monitor cable. I've seen this happen a few times.

do you hook up your monitor to a different power strip than the one for your pc? maybe your power strip has problems.

these are just different troubleshooting techniques I quickly go through in diagnosing problems.

each test takes like a minute or 2. within like 10 minutes, you can hopefully isolate the problem.

troubleshooting is troubleshooting.

I've tried the things that nick2k suggests. The machine doesn't get to the point of trying to boot the OS. There is no indication that any part of the self test starts either.

The mainboard is made by ASRock. I've looked through the manual but there is nothing in there to help either.

I've about concluded that it's time for an upgrade anyway.

a few months ago, I experienced a major electrical shock to my pc. it was during a lighting storm. as a result, some of the parts in my pc were damaged. you may have encountered a similiar problem. consider getting a surge suppressor like apc. those cheap power strip things are not up to par.

I like it when I upgrade my pc. it's like christmas time. if you like to play computer games, you are forced to upgrade now and then. those games just keep requiring more resources as new ones come out.