Four Charges Filed Against Driver in Bus Fire That Killed 23

webfact

25 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Why the glib comments on this sad topic?

It's sad (read my former post) and makes me angry. A flat tire, a crash, no proper gas installation, an outdated bus, no hammer for the windows, a coward, no emergency training, no proper fire extinguisher,  aso. And often the mobile phone is involved in accidents, same as brake failures.

• Agree 1

So many experts know what should have been done:

1.  Fire extinguishers.  if you are not trained to use one, not going to be much good.

2.  safety briefing before leaving?  have you ever seen Thai ,or any other kids, pay attention to something like that.

3.Teacher take command?  hat is he likely to know?  

4.  Inspect the bus before hiring?  Cheapest is obviously the best.  Parents might complain about the cost.  

5. Was it true that the emergency doors were locked shut?  Who by?  if the driver did this then he is guilty of murder and should be punished accordingly.

6 It is very rarely an accident; normally a combination of mistakes and wrong actions.

1 minute ago, Robin said:

So many experts know what should have been done:

Agreed... a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking on this issue - but thats only natural and this is a Discussion forum after all... 

1.  Fire extinguishers.  if you are not trained to use one, not going to be much good.

Would have been useless against a fire that powerful anyway.

2.  safety briefing before leaving?  have you ever seen Thai ,or any other kids, pay attention to something like that.

Completely agree.

3.Teacher take command?  hat is he likely to know?  

3 Teachers died - their bodies found cradling the kids - that was as much command has the could possibly have had in their dying seconds in that intense instantly spreading inferno.

4.  Inspect the bus before hiring?  Cheapest is obviously the best.  Parents might complain about the cost.  

Agree with the Monday morning quarterbacking on this - inspect away... that should be the minimum.

5. Was it true that the emergency doors were locked shut?  Who by?  if the driver did this then he is guilty of murder and should be punished accordingly.

Either and oversight or they failed - nothing points to them being locked, I guess they are hydraulically operated, so if the bus is powered down, they wont open,

6 It is very rarely an accident; normally a combination of mistakes and wrong actions.

Agreed - nevertheless...    an accident waiting to happen... 

As is an NGV fire in all those taxi's and many other mini vans and busses operating on NGV... 

No public vehicle should be permitted to use NGV. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking on this issue - but thats only natural and this is a Discussion forum after all... 

Would have been useless against a fire that powerful anyway.

Completely agree.

3 Teachers died - their bodies found cradling the kids - that was as much command has the could possibly have had in their dying seconds in that intense instantly spreading inferno.

Agree with the Monday morning quarterbacking on this - inspect away... that should be the minimum.

Either and oversight or they failed - nothing points to them being locked, I guess they are hydraulically operated, so if the bus is powered down, they wont open,

Agreed - nevertheless...    an accident waiting to happen... 

As is an NGV fire in all those taxi's and many other mini vans and busses operating on NGV... 

No public vehicle should be permitted to use NGV. 

Well i think that is rather a bold statement !  The correct Installation of A NGV system is safe as long as it is mainlined correctly it is wildly used world wide   its like saying don't use lPG  for cooking as it can blow up in the kitchen  or any gas think you are making a big leap saying should not use a NGV system. The root problem is backyard Installation and no maintenance. 

Edited by MikeandDow
  • Thumbs Up 1

So it appears that there was a gas leak and the axle broke, neither of which should be blamed on the driver.

I feel that had he hung around, and any parents are vigilante Somchais had turned up, he might have been beaten to death.

I'm still not defending him and his cowardly attempt to flee, but I sort of understand him.

• Agree 1

I had an operator's license in England for over 20 years without one death on my conscience so I do know a thing or two/ Yesterday when I was posting we didn't know the full facts we still don't know all of them now but we know a lot more. This afternoon I spoke to my ex girlfriend who works for the Ministry of Labor and they were informed that they had 4 minutes before the bus was engulfed with fire I tried to explain to her you only needed one or two minutes to get all the passengers off that bus safely. In my opinion now every death was avoidable, accidents happen to new busses either it's their fault or it's the car in front or it's the road or it's the weather it can be anything it's what you do once you've brought the vehicle to a stop it's those precious seconds that can save lives. 

In the event of a fire, your top priority as a bus or coach driver is to help passengers disembark as quickly and safely as possible before the fire escalates. Here's how the procedure should go:

1. Stop the vehicle safely: Pull over immediately and turn off the engine to reduce any additional risk of the fire spreading.

2. Open the doors: Immediately open the doors to allow passengers to disembark and leave the vehicle quickly.

3. Instruct passengers: Calmly but firmly instruct passengers to exit the bus in an orderly manner. Encourage them to leave personal belongings behind to speed up the evacuation.

4. Use emergency exits: If the main doors are blocked or unsafe, direct passengers to use emergency exits, including windows or roof hatches.

5. Move passengers to a safe distance: Once outside, guide everyone to a safe distance, away from the vehicle and out of harm’s way.

6. Call emergency services: After ensuring all passengers are safe, contact emergency services to report the fire and get help.

Once everyone is safely off the vehicle, then, if it’s safe and you are trained, you can attempt to control the fire with a fire extinguisher. However, passenger safety is always the first priority.

Like I said how many children could he have saved if he had done it properly and not jumped off the bus to save himself plus, And for God's sake get rid of all the curtains plastic fans, and ornaments that are just fire traps that they deck out these coaches with

In the second picture there's the driver with a fire extinguisher the children are still on the bus it should be passengers off the bus first then you can try and deal with the fire if you want to he did it the wrong way around this is one of the saddest pictures i've ever seen

Screenshot 2024-10-03 022608.png

Screenshot 2024-10-02 194747.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/2/2024 at 9:31 AM, KhunLA said:

Actually the driver's version sounds very believable.  If lost control and couldn't come to a rolling stop, think I'd be thinking about hitting something to slow down or stop with.

Unfortunately, that put the bus doors against the wall, and possible trapped the folks in side, depending how the doors actually operated.

Would think the following bus would have had a dash cam, hopefully.  If open road, can't see any CCTV being available, unless very lucky.

Just need to figure out why he lost control, and what actually ignited the fire.   Could negate 3 of the charges.

“In his attempt to regain control, Mr. Saman crashed into a roadside barrier, igniting a fire. Following the incident, he attempted to retrieve a fire extinguisher from the following bus but, overwhelmed by shock, decided to flee to a relative's house in Ang Thong”.

If his kids where in the bus do you think he’d react the same way? I would try to put out the fire! 🧯 

First priority get the kids out .

Edited by riclag
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 2long said:

So it appears that there was a gas leak and the axle broke, neither of which should be blamed on the driver.

I feel that had he hung around, and any parents are vigilante Somchais had turned up, he might have been beaten to death.

I'm still not defending him and his cowardly attempt to flee, but I sort of understand him.

Thinking the same but reluctant to say......this all looks like it backs up what he said.....and I'm not too sure the running away bit stacks up.....but to be honest, he knew.....and god forbid, could hear....... what was happening inside the bus....that would lead to a mental breakdown on the spot for most people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What has the school got to do with this accident?

Should somebody at the school have not enquired as to when the buses were last checked/serviced?

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

It's sad (read my former post) and makes me angry. A flat tire, a crash, no proper gas installation, an outdated bus, no hammer for the windows, a coward, no emergency training, no proper fire extinguisher,  aso. And often the mobile phone is involved in accidents, same as brake failures.

And soi dogs?

57 minutes ago, riclag said:

“In his attempt to regain control, Mr. Saman crashed into a roadside barrier, igniting a fire. Following the incident, he attempted to retrieve a fire extinguisher from the following bus but, overwhelmed by shock, decided to flee to a relative's house in Ang Thong”.

If his kids where in the bus do you think he’d react the same way? I would try to put out the fire! 🧯 

First priority get the kids out .

The driver would have been a hero if he'd followed procedure That photo that I've posted is one of the saddest I've ever seen he's walking towards the bus that is engulfed with fire too late the children are probably already dead he should never have left that bus he could have got them out even through the smallest hole because he got out

In the event of a fire, your top priority as a bus or coach driver is to help passengers disembark as quickly and safely as possible before the fire escalates. Here's how the procedure should go:

1. Stop the vehicle safely: Pull over immediately and turn off the engine to reduce any additional risk of the fire spreading.

2. Open the doors: Immediately open the doors to allow passengers to disembark and leave the vehicle quickly.

3. Instruct passengers: Calmly but firmly instruct passengers to exit the bus in an orderly manner. Encourage them to leave personal belongings behind to speed up the evacuation.

4. Use emergency exits: If the main doors are blocked or unsafe, direct passengers to use emergency exits, including windows or roof hatches.

5. Move passengers to a safe distance: Once outside, guide everyone to a safe distance, away from the vehicle and out of harm’s way.

6. Call emergency services: After ensuring all passengers are safe, contact emergency services to report the fire and get help.

Once everyone is safely off the vehicle, then, if it’s safe and you are trained, you can attempt to control the fire with a fire extinguisher. However, passenger safety is always the first priority.

Screenshot 2024-10-03 093048.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1