Is there a Hughes pub in Chiang Mai?

Old Curmudgeon

I’m not Irish.
And I’ve never been to Dublin.
But those who are and have, will likely know of Hughes Pub.

I just finished reading a eulogy to Hughes.
Sounded so attractive that I’m wondering if there is anything in Chiang Mai that comes close.

I’ll put the link below.  
But here are a few snippets of what my post here is seeking:

Hughes was a remnant from the old school. Groaning wooden floors, colored glass windows, no televisions, and musicians playing tunes.

Hughes Pub became my little escape route to a bygone world, a world where people were trusting and trustworthy, interesting and witty, where fiddlers and pipers cast musical magic spells,

So many pubs ... are now soulless, cheerless, boring haunts. Even the small pubs in small towns. Attempting to imitate the pubs of old which these new upstart pubs have replaced, they all end up featuring the same kitschy design, the same “vintage” Guinness posters that can be found in every tourist shop are in every faux old-fashioned pub. ... Old pubs had paintings and books on the walls. Today’s pubs are festooned in strings with little green triangles bearing the Heineken logo and other corporate sponsored crap, almost always featuring images of a black male/white female couple laughing it up.

The pubs I remember were smokey, creaky, maybe even musty. The only noise came from the people inside. If there was music, it didn’t come from a loudspeaker behind the bar blaring out the Top 40 hits ... It came from musicians in the corner having a session.

An impossible dream??

Here's the link:

https://counter-currents.com/2024/10/the-pint-glass-half-empty/

9 minutes ago, Old Curmudgeon said:

So many pubs ... are now soulless, cheerless, boring haunts. Even the small pubs in small towns. Attempting to imitate the pubs of old which these new upstart pubs have replaced, they all end up featuring the same kitschy design, the same “vintage” Guinness posters that can be found in every tourist shop are in every faux old-fashioned pub. ... Old pubs had paintings and books on the walls. Today’s pubs are festooned in strings with little green triangles bearing the Heineken logo and other corporate sponsored crap, almost always featuring images of a black male/white female couple laughing it up.

The reason so many 'Irish Pubs' outside Ireland look like that is they are rarely Owned by anyone Irish, they are rarely Managed by anyone Irish, and they usualyy don't even have anyone Irish Working in them. Fake as fk in other words, in a 'diddly-eye Oirish' Hollywood'esque version of what an Irish pub should be.

There are exceptions - good luck if you can find one. 

1 minute ago, Flyguy330 said:

The reason so many 'Irish Pubs' outside Ireland look like that is they are rarely Owned by anyone Irish, they are rarely Managed by anyone Irish, and they usualyy don't even have anyone Irish Working in them.

No, @Flyguy330, it doesn't have to be faux-Irish.  Can be any background.  A good example (admittedly from 15-20 years ago) was Bie Otto in Bangkok on Sukhumwit 22.  German pub, German beer, German food, German owner.  And a real hoot to sit at the bar and listen to Thai students who came in speaking German.  Not quite Huges, but still in the old style.

With the large numbers of expats, seems to me should be someplace in Chiang Mai.