Advice on purchase of older toyota/isusu 4x4 2 door pickup

notrub

03 10 2024,

I would like to buy an older Toyota, or similar, 4x4, 2 door pickup (that has been little used by one careful owner 555) and am seeking advice on the best make and model year please.    

Is there a best make, model, year that I should be looking for and also what to avoid please?

It appears that high milage pickups that are just standard are being offered at 100-130k while the tricked out units are really silly prices.  I would like a standard truck to keep and use locally on the farm for a long time.

Anybody got an ok one for sale?  I m in Buriram Province but would travel for a reasonably priced example (auto if pos).

Thanks in advance for any comments🙏🏼

Thanks Steve, Yes, I thought a 2 door (or any) pickups with auto would be rare but, if you don't ask you don't get, as a tenant once said to me a long time ago.

My mechanical skills are advanced enough to know my limitations and keep away from the areas that require professional attention.  Replacing drive trains, springs, brakes and other bolt on stuff is ok but engine insides I leave to the professionals.  

I would be willing to buy a truck without a certificate and carry out repairs here at home if anybody you know has one.

I don't mind about receipts; a truck used locally for normal small pickup work will be evident by its condition (I think).

Thanks for your comment.

The pickup models from the mid 90's to early 2000's were new enough to suffer lest rust than predecessors, but old enough to still offer simple (less powerful) diesel engines with mechanical injection and no turbo.  These were longer lasting and cheaper to maintian for farm / local use.  E.G. 6th gen Hilux / 3rd gen Triton.

The next generation included common rail fuel systems and turbo twin cam diesel engines.  Auto transmissions and ABS became more common on high trim levels and crash safety improved considerably.  These perform much better on the highway, but the common rail system and turbo dramatically increase engine rebuild cost, when the time comes.  

Toyota Hilux, Isuzu Dmax, Mitsubishi Trition and Ford ranger as above, all seemed pretty solid to me.  They are all reliable, if not abused or worn out.  The Hilux and Dmax generally sell for higher prices, Mitsu and Ford being better value.  I have less experience with the Nissan Navara, Chev Colorado, and Mazda BT50.  The BT50 should be similar to the Ranger, Colorado similar to Dmax.  With vehicles of this age, the biggest difference will be related to their condition and maintenance.