One year extension, 12 monthly deposits, Khon Kaen

Yesterday (Oct 2nd, 2024) I did my one year extension (retirement) at KK office.
Due date Oct 30th, 2024.

For the first time I used the 12 monthly deposit method.

Last year I was assured that you can use it whatever nationality you are even if you could get an income certificate from your consulate.

So I did transfer religiously every month since Sep 2023 using WISE with varying amounts > 65k.

On Aug 30th I ordered a one year statement at Bangkok Bank (200 Baht, wait for 5 working days!).
Last entry for Aug 29th.

On Oct 1st early morning I did transfer for October, arrived in the afternoon.
On Oct 2nd (yesterday) early morning I transferred a small amount from another Thai account to make sure the book update shows something meaningful.

Then driving to bank, waiting for a almost an hour(!).
Had book update done, account letter/certificate (100 Baht).

Then ask for statement from Aug 30th to Oct 1st (100 Baht) and issued on the spot.
(make sure you specify exact date range, they can do but some don't ask properly)
Statements were in English and show "FOREIGN T/T".

Then rush to KK immi (84 km from the bank), arrived at 11 AM, out and done at 11:20.
That was the short version :biggrin:

Besides the financial stuff I had the usual:
passport plus copies since last entry/border run
TM7 form plus photo
the two "acknowledge" forms (downloaded from immi website)

That was all, no asking for yellow book, TM30 or the like (I live more than 12 years at the same address),

no copies of the statements.

Had overlooked only one stamp in the passport, 5 Baht copy, new low.

After "checkpoint" I was immediately sent to the counter, no wait, very quiet.
The female officer patiently went through the quite long statements, underlined each foreign transfer.

She was not the talkative type and seems I was prepared enough for "no questions".

She just stapled all together and walked over to the other room for the boss signature.
Came back with stamped passport.
Paid 1900, returning 100 was a bit "slow".

Be aware: this is KK, not Jomtien, not Chaeng Wattana.
Experience can vary.

I have already seen that some offices don't want to wade through the statements and want some 12 foreign transfers document. Anybody knows how it is called in English/Thai?

I did this route because my pensions are sufficient and why "freeze" 800k.
Also check whether I can spare me the consulate visit, all "local".

Still not sure whether next year I will do it again (get me consulate certificate?).

Sending money at the worst possible rate if there is no urge?
For the last transfer I just sent enough (66k) to reduce the pain.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I did this route because my pensions are sufficient and why "freeze" 800k.

You state "my pensions" ...

Did immigration want to see proof transfers were from Pension or just the monthly (12) 65k+ deposits. 

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You state "my pensions" ...

Did immigration want to see proof transfers were from Pension or just the monthly (12) 65k+ deposits. 

No she didn't ask for the source.

I had photocopies with me.

Could she see the files from last year with certificate from consulate?

Don't think so.

But when asking about the procedure last year a male officer said that I might be asked for some proof of income.

Game of luck.

As I send on my own and have some savings back "home" the amounts differed more than usual (66k to almost 90k in April/May).

Sometimes less, sometimes more than the pensions make up.

No questions asked.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

For the first time I used the 12 monthly deposit method.

Last year I was assured that you can use it whatever nationality you are even if you could get an income certificate from your consulate.

That's the most interesting part, and potentially the biggest issue. From previous reports, other IOs seem to be of the opinion that you can only show them monthly transfers if your embassy is one of those that are unwilling to certify your income.

You did ask them and they did give you an answer. Whether you can rely on them to stick to that answer a year later is anyone's guess - luckily it worked out fine in your case.

For someone who (unlike you) doesn't have income that their embassy could certify if immigration change their mind, that would be a risky thing to try.

Edited by Caldera