Suvarnabhumi Visa Exempt - Change of Tactic Applied

3 minutes ago, tandor said:

never said you did.

You said "also gets you a Tax Filing Number."

Certainly sounds like you said a pink id card gets you a 'tax filing number', or Tax Identification Number as it is actually called.

I just pointed out that you contrary to what you posted, you do not need a pink id to get a TIN.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Caldera said:

For the driving license, the visa status is also important though. If you do what the OP does and promotes here (entering visa exempt), you can only renew for 2 years, not for 5 years as those on a non-immigrant visa/extension. 

It depends what province you live in and what office you use.

Edited by youreavinalaff

On 10/6/2024 at 7:16 PM, DrJack54 said:

One of the most bizarre posts I have read in some time.

You are married to a Thai and opt for this nonsense.

Obtain a non O and subsequent 12 month extension.

Only requires 400k in bank for couple of months and then you can use it.

If anything the pink id would suggest that you have visa options.

I agree with you entirely here, I want to change my retirement extensions for the marriage visa, but I am being put off with all the hassle involved and having second thoughts about doing it.

12 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I want to change my retirement extensions for the marriage visa, but I am being put off with all the hassle involved and having second thoughts about doing it.

Understandable. Many married folk while able to obtain annual extensions based on marriage opt for based on retirement. 

Can depend to some extent on which immigration office.

For those that can do monthly income method thinking based on retirement a good option.

Keeping 800k in bank tied up (funds in bank method) not nice deal at all.

Everyone is different. While it may seem trivial to some, I would not be happy with the home visit etc.

Bit off topic as the OP is doing visa exempt to live in Thailand ongoing when extensions from a non O based on marriage is easy option. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2024 at 7:32 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Surprised this old chestnut is still being raised when most currencies have lost 8-9% to the baht in the last year.  That means he is much better off with that 2% gain 😉

That makes sense, assuming most currencies lose 8-9% to the baht every year.

How about the years when the baht loses 8-9% against most currencies?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Fine.

Which land transport offices (district) allow renewal to 5 year TDL on tourist status 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1271748-5-year-drivers-license-with-just-a-tourist-visa/

I've had 5 year licence issued at Muang, Buriram with no mention of visa status. They wanted copy of photo page of passport and last entry stamp to dhow I was in country legally. From memory my stamp only had a couple of weeks remaining.

They also didn't require me to get a certificate of residence from immigration. A confirmation of my address from the local police station was sufficient. Always has been.

8 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I've had 5 year licence issued at Muang, Buriram with no mention of visa status. They wanted copy of photo page of passport and last entry stamp to dhow I was in country legally. From memory my stamp only had a couple of weeks remaining.

They also didn't require me to get a certificate of residence from immigration. A confirmation of my address from the local police station was sufficient. Always has been.

Then you were fortunate.

The DLT requirements for a 5 year licence are as follows;

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF] FROM TWO-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE
HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

ORIGINAL TWO-YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENCE

PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license

• Agree 2

On 10/7/2024 at 8:22 AM, brianthainess said:

And for DL and Registering a vehicle for most, as you would also have a yellow book.

pink id card and yellow book, is not accepted as proof of address at rayong DLT

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Then you were fortunate.

The DLT requirements for a 5 year licence are as follows;

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF] FROM TWO-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE
HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

ORIGINAL TWO-YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENCE

PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)

ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license

Anyone who has been in Thailand for at least a couple of years know published rules often mean nothing.

Whether it's DLT, Immigration, Ampher, Laboir office.........rules are often ignored or made up from office to office.

• Sad 1

On 10/7/2024 at 7:48 AM, jippytum said:

I agree with some of your comments.

However i see no reason why a long term resident should not take advantage of fee visa exempt entries if he chooses to do so. 

No 800/400 thousand baht tied up.  No 90 day reports.  probably no tax on foreign income. 

And at some point you may very well be denied entry and possibly have notes on your imm record. Is it worth the headache?

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That didn't answer my question though. I saw your follow-up posts and find your tale unconvincing. You did have a non-immigrant visa or extension thereof after all, you just claim that they didn't check.

Anyway, this kind of story from the backwaters isn't unheard of. Whether false or actually true in a particular lucky case, you cannot rely on being able to renew for 5 years anywhere unless you have the appropriate visa status.

Backwaters? False? I did have a non imm visa?

You think you know so much but know so little.

Like I've already said, rules are often ignored or made up as one goes from office to office.

The need for a cert of residency from immigration or Embassy and the "5 diseases" medical form being examples in the office I used for my last 5 year and 10 month drivers licence.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Backwaters? False? I did have a non imm visa?

You think you know so much but know so little.

Like I've already said, rules are often ignored or made up as one goes from office to office.

The need for a cert of residency from immigration or Embassy and the "5 diseases" medical form being examples in the office I used for my last 5 year and 10 month drivers licence.

Even if I accept your report at face value, my point is that this kind of "success story" (not meeting the official requirements, but getting lucky at an office in the sticks) just isn't reproducible. Which is why it's nonsense to tell people that their visa status doesn't matter. 

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Even if I accept your report at face value, my point is that this kind of "success story" (not meeting the official requirements, but getting lucky at an office in the sticks) just isn't reproducible. Which is why it's nonsense to tell people that their visa status doesn't matter. 

Please, accept what you like. I know what happens, as do many others.

The simple way to do things, as with most officialdom in Thailand, is to visit the office you are going to use and ask what their requirements are.

As with the OP. On another day, with another official, the outcome could have been very different