Indian Woman Strips in Defence Against Theft Claim

webfact

5 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Just while we're on the subject of cultural nuances...

On a couple of occasions, I have asked a vendor whether I might have given them a larger bill than they gave me change for. Mind you, I merely asked, uncertain whether the correct change  had been given or not, and certainly didn't expressly accuse anyone of shortchanging me.

On both occasions, my inquiries were met with absolutely explosive indignation with the vendor broadcasting her outrage to everyone in earshot. On one occasion, having a way to reconcile my expenditures once I got home, I realized that I was mistaken, and I went back the next week and profusely apologized to the vendor. Suffice it to say, that the vendor did not take my apologies very graciously, and one week later was still was acting like I was some sort of a flimflam artist, even though I was a longtime and good customer. 

I know in the village I live in, if someone accused someone of stealing money like in the article, a lot of people (especially women) would be down at the police station filing defamation claims, and demanding compensation for their damaged reputations, and public apologies. 

I've actually ask if the vendor has returned TOO much money to me.  I don't want to be ripped off nor do I want some cashier, say at 7/11, having to have their wages docked for giving out too much change by mistake. 

7 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I know in the village I live in, if someone accused someone of stealing money like in the article, a lot of people (especially women) would be down at the police station filing defamation complaints, and demanding compensation for their damaged reputations and public apologies. 

I don't steal...period.  If I was accused of stealing I'd demand the police, prove I don't have whatever I'm accused of taking, then file defamation charges.  I know people steal, but I don't.  Ever.

The second Buddhist precept:
Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I will not take what is not given. 

If it doesn't belong to me, I don't take it.  If accused of stealing, that really is a major issue from a Buddhist perspective.

• Like 1