New 3-phase service

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Would it make sense to have a 100A three-phase panel to supply my three-phase, and a 25KVA three-phase 380 to single-phase 220 transformer to one 63A single-phase 220 panel? 

Not really.

Thailand is 3-phase 4-wire (3 phases plus neutral) so a single-phase supply is simply taken from one phase and the neutral.

The 380V is phase to phase, the 220V is phase to neutral.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

Not really.

Thailand is 3-phase 4-wire (3 phases plus neutral) so a single-phase supply is simply taken from one phase and the neutral.

The 380V is phase to phase, the 220V is phase to neutral.

Would I not need be concerned about balancing the load on each leg to minimize my usage? 

Does the MEA bill the three-phases individually and sum them, or just based on the leg with the highest load?

I know this what a real big deal at out US plants. 

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Would I not need be concerned about balancing the load on each leg to minimize my usage? 

Does the MEA bill the three-phases individually and sum them, or just based on the leg with the highest load?

I know this what a real big deal at out US plants. 

I've seen some US energy bills, the smallest amount being for the energy used!

You don't need to worry about balance, unless you have massive loads relative to the size of your village transformer (most unlikely). That said, spread your single-phase loads across all three phases anyway, then if you lose a phase you still keep 66% of your lights and outlets.

The meter bills you for the total energy used over all three phases. Unless you are a factory you don't need to worry about peak-load or power factor.

Here you get a standing charge (based upon your service) and a usage charge based upon your usage (a sliding scale, the more you use, the more per unit you pay). Then there is the fuel tariff (ft) which is actually a convenient way to vary the per-unit rate without an act or parliament, and VAT on the total.

EDIT By the way, just to confuse, the supply voltage in the MEA service area is 230V vs 220V in the PEA service area.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

I've seen some US energy bills, the smallest amount being for the energy used!

You don't need to worry about balance, unless you have massive loads relative to the size of your village transformer (most unlikely). That said, spread your single-phase loads across all three phases anyway, then if you lose a phase you still keep 66% of your lights and outlets.

The meter bills you for the total energy used over all three phases. Unless you are a factory you don't need to worry about peak-load or power factor.

Here you get a standing charge (based upon your service) and a usage charge based upon your usage (a sliding scale, the more you use, the more per unit you pay). Then there is the fuel tariff (ft) which is actually a convenient way to vary the per-unit rate without an act or parliament, and VAT on the total.

EDIT By the way, just to confuse, the supply voltage in the MEA service area is 230V vs 220V in the PEA service area.

We used to have a guy that would go to each plant and put graphing ammeters on each leg and check the load on each for a month.

Edited by Yellowtail

Since some month I have a 3 phase Digital Meter from PEA, readings including Load get done via Bluetooth and shown on your monthly Bill

Edited by UWEB