• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

2. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

3. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

4. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

5. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

6. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

7. 563

White Culture

8. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

9. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

10. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

11. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

12. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

13. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

14. 125

Trump chickens out again.

Thai wife rent out condo - deduct mortgage interest (+ other expenses) from tax liability?

Trying to find clear information on this. Forums post on rental tax seems to degenerate into talking about TRD is not even able to collect tax.

Assuming I (OK, my wife) is a good citizen and intends to pay tax on the rental property, can I deduct expenses? I expect the rental income to be 200,000+ THB per month, and mortgage + insurance to be not far behind. Given that we recently bought the condo, most of the mortgage payment is the interest.

If we find our rental income is below the interest portion of the mortgage payment, do we owe 0 tax on rental property income?

Also what is this flat "rental tax at a rate of 12.5%" about? Do I read this right - if you rent out property (even for a few months), you are expected to pay 12.5% of the annual expected rental rate. What was the incentive behind that rule?

Thanks

You probably need an accountant to be structured correctly to claim mortgages/expenses against income etc.

There is information on websites like below about the tax system and deductions. It appears, for an individual, only mortgage interest is deductible . Otherwise it appears a rental property would need to be set up as a company to get full deductions for mortgage, expenses etc. Which sort of makes sense as an individual isn't a business.

https://phuketrealtor.com/blog/tax-on-rental-income-in-thailand-what-should-you-know

https://www.expattaxthailand.com/thailand-expat-tax-rates-allowances-and-deductions/

"Interest on a mortgage in your own name for buying or building a home in Thailand can be deducted up to 100,000 baht."

upto 100,000? I'm sorry what? 100,000 THB per year? My mortgage interest is 150k+ per month in the early part of the loan

Sorry, I can't believe that is true. Can any authoritative source confirm that I can only deduct up to 100K THB per year of mortgage interest?

If true, can someone confirm if I structure as a business I can get full deductions (and what are the cons to doing it as a business).

Can anyone recommend a source/company/agency who knows there stuff on these maters. If they're good there is a good chance I'd use them to manage my properties.

6 minutes ago, bosphorus said:

Sorry, I can't believe that is true. Can any authoritative source confirm that I can only deduct up to 100K THB per year of mortgage interest?

If true, can someone confirm if I structure as a business I can get full deductions (and what are the cons to doing it as a business).

Can anyone recommend a source/company/agency who knows there stuff on these maters. If they're good there is a good chance I'd use them to manage my properties.

Not that hard to believe, usually the tax benefits are always for businesses. To be able and deduct your mortgage interest for as much as you want, is in some countries maybe the case but certainly not a standard.

Then I guess I have to figure out if turning it into a business makes sense and what are the cons. Can I move my property with its existing mortgage into a business entity? 

can anyone recommend someone to speak to? 

This is Thailand not the west. You pay taxes even if you sell or rent at the loss.

Unless you talk to accountant and structure it as a business which is even more money wasted for zero return as you said it yourself most of it is interest.

This is something you should talk to accountant, not a coupon clipping website like AseanNow. Wow, did you really go into this without any clue?

• Agree 1

Great question.

Can anyone clarify whether mortgage interest is a deductible expense for a Thai rental property?

Can "actual costs" be deducted and does this include mortgage interest, typically the biggest cost?

Pretty basic question, but seems that it is not clear!