Air India trip report....

Chivas

Strange how flights can differ

If I rated the Indians behaviour 10/10 I wouldnt have over praised them at all

They were immaculately behaved on both sectors

Edited by Chivas

2 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Great feedback.

Luckily you weren't flying Bombay to London!

I would say again that the 46kg baggage allowance is fantastic

People perhaps relocating to Asia could well save a lot of money over "moving" costs by utilising that generous allowance

Realistically probably 50kg would still be ok

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The Bkk-Delhi stretch is pretty bad with business class only ya marginal improvement. And the  transfer process in Delhi is a hassle. This last is the biggest downside IMO.

Yes security is tight and they had all my gear out of hand luggage but it was very quiet there and on to transfer desk which validated 2nd sector with a "stamp"

Suspect at busy times you could be there a longish time

I've used air india from uk to bkk because I had a wedding to attend in India during my month long holiday in Thailand it was several years ago transit via Delhi. 

Transit was worst I've ever experienced security every step they watch you getting searched from 10m away going to transfer desk then searched again 😒 

Not sure if things have changed but I nearly came unstuck initially I thought let me buy a return to bombay let's say 1st Nov return 1 st dec arrive bombay spend 3 days then take spice jets or whatever to bkk return to bombay for wedding and use my return to UK air India wrong I luckily discovered you can not re enter India within a month of departure for a foreigner strange rule 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Strange how flights can differ

If I rated the Indians behaviour 10/10 I wouldnt have over praised them at all

They were immaculately behaved on both sectors

Really.

Most consulting companies (yes a different industry) won't do business with individual Indians or Indian companies. They know every trick ever invented to cheat and to avoid payment, and they can invent new tricks in an instant.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

Flight was at 09.45 from Heathrow but because of where I currently live in UK I had no option but to catch a national express coach at 00.30 in the morning which got me into Heathrow at 05.30 no problem per se but in hindsight a Premier Inn overnight at Heathrow would have been sensible the night before

Probably not of use to yourself but for those travelling across London by public transit (I use train and tube from Essex) there is a Travelodge at Hounslow Central. It is 2 minutes walk from the station and about 10 minutes on the Piccadilly tube line from Heathrow Terminals. Admittedly, it is not great but I have used it on occasion when I have arrived at Heathrow late on a Sunday night and travel options home have been limited.

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

I had a query over baggage allowance pre trip and got hold on TT because it was showing "2 pieces" and again any query was answered quickly via Email to say its a 46kg baggage allowance split between the twp pieces with no more than 23kg in each....fair play Air India on that allowance for economy....having seen those at check in clearly many make use of it !!

Eva Air are the same now - 2 items of baggage not exceeding 23kg per bag. I much preferred the old system when I managed to get around 30-32kg in one suitcase which was heavy but manageable. As I travel to the airport by public transport 2 suitcases plus hand luggage is just not practical unfortunately. I think due to Gold card status with Eva/Star Alliance I am actually entitled to something like 70kg which may be useful in the future.

• Like 1