New Study Reveals Columbus Was a Sephardic Jew from Western Europe

Social Media

image.png

A new study conducted by Spanish scientists has shed light on the long-debated origins of 15th-century explorer Christopher Columbus, revealing that he was likely a Sephardic Jew from Western Europe. The study, which utilized DNA analysis to explore the mystery surrounding Columbus' ancestry, has provided fresh evidence to challenge the traditional view that Columbus hailed from Genoa, Italy.

WvMdW-D0?format=jpg&name=small

The question of Columbus’ origins has been a subject of intense debate for centuries, with various countries laying claim to the explorer. He is best known for leading Spanish-funded expeditions starting in the 1490s, which paved the way for the European colonization of the Americas. While many historians have accepted the theory that Columbus came from Italy, alternative theories have suggested that he may have been a Spanish Jew, Greek, Basque, Portuguese, or even British.

In an effort to resolve this long-standing mystery, a research team led by forensic expert Miguel Lorente embarked on a 22-year investigation. Their work involved testing minute samples of remains buried in Seville Cathedral, which has long been recognized by authorities as Columbus’ final resting place. The study compared these remains with those of Columbus’ known relatives and descendants. The findings were presented in a documentary titled "Columbus DNA: The True Origin," which aired on Spain's national broadcaster TVE.

"We have DNA from Christopher Columbus, very partial, but sufficient. We have DNA from Hernando Colón, his son," Lorente explained during the program. "And both in the Y chromosome (male) and in the mitochondrial DNA (transmitted by the mother) of Hernando, there are traits compatible with Jewish origin."

The discovery links Columbus to Spain's Sephardic Jewish community, a group that faced persecution under the Catholic monarchs Isabella and Ferdinand. In the late 15th century, Spain’s Jewish population, numbering around 300,000, was ordered to either convert to Catholicism or leave the country. Many of these Jews, known as Sephardic, meaning from Sefarad, the Hebrew word for Spain, eventually settled in different parts of the world.

After analyzing 25 potential places of origin, Lorente stated that while it remains impossible to pinpoint the exact birthplace of Columbus, the evidence strongly indicates that he was born somewhere in Western Europe. On Thursday, Lorente confirmed that the remains in Seville Cathedral indeed belonged to Columbus, reaffirming previous theories.

Columbus’ nationality has remained a complex and controversial topic, in part due to the vast amount of historical data available. Nevertheless, Lorente emphasized that the research’s conclusion is "almost absolutely reliable." Columbus died in 1506 in Valladolid, Spain, and had expressed a wish to be buried on the island of Hispaniola, now shared by the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Although his remains were initially moved to Hispaniola in 1542, they were later relocated to Cuba in 1795 and then to Seville in 1898, where they currently rest.

Based on a report from Reuters 2024-10-14

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

19 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Oh I wonder what those Hamas supporting protestors at Columbia University Students are going to do now? After all, their Uni is named after a Jew. :clap2:

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Triggered?

Not doing a sense of humour this morning eh Chomper?

• Like 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

I did, but I read the OP first.

Hamas don’t get a mention until your hair trigger goes off.

Why would it? I'm not one of the terrorist protestor students I was referring to.....:saai:

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We should perhaps have a thread on that.

No I think its perfect for this one and I see its confession time for you there's only one person I see triggered here 😄

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Oh I wonder what those Hamas supporting protestors at Columbia University Students are going to do now? After all, their Uni is named after a Jew. :clap2: