Hack attack: Thai student caught in mule account mayhem

identity-theft.png

A female vocational student from Nakhon Si Thammarat sought media assistance after her mobile phone was hacked, leading to the unauthorised opening of a mule account in her name, resulting in two police summonses being sent to her home, raising concerns about her studies.

Somnuk and Oranong Thongsuk reported to the media that their daughter, Natnaree Thongsuk, a student at a vocational college in Thung Song, Nakhon Si Thammarat, fell victim to scammers who used her name to open a bank account at Krungsri Bank’s Thawang branch. This incident has caused significant distress as Natnaree now faces charges without her knowledge, with summonses from Srimahaphot Police Station and Klongluang Police Station.

Two victims, Janchira and Chanida, alleged that they transferred approximately 700,000 baht (US$21,075) to a securities firm through Natnaree’s account.

Natnaree explained that she lost her phone at Namtok Yong in Thung Song. The phone contained copies of her ID card, documents, and various video clips. She received a court summons at her home on September 18 from Srimahaphot Police Station, followed by another on October 10 from Klongluang Police Station.

She then filed a police report and contacted Krungsri Bank, where staff showed her documents indicating she had opened an online account, which she denies ever doing.

“I am deeply affected by this incident. Travelling to give statements is challenging due to the long distances involved, and my parents, who are gardeners, find it difficult to manage the travel. I contacted both police stations for assistance, but they insisted I must appear in person. This has led me to seek justice through the media.”

Mule account

Oranong, Natnaree’s mother, added that upon receiving the court summons, she questioned her daughter, who denied any involvement. They filed a daily report at Thung Song Police Station and gathered evidence from the college, proving that Natnaree was in class when the account was opened.

This suggests that her lost phone might have been hacked to open the mule account. The family is particularly distressed about the need to travel long distances for statements, which also disrupts Natnaree’s studies, reported KhaoSod.

Phasuk Petchara, head of the disciplinary department at the college, affirmed that the institution is ready to support Natnaree in all aspects. If Natnaree needs to travel to provide statements, the college will coordinate with her lecturers to offer online classes. Additionally, the college will contribute to travel expenses until the case is resolved.

By Bright Choomanee

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-17

news-footer-3.png

image.png

56 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Phasuk Petchara, head of the disciplinary department at the college, affirmed that the institution is ready to support Natnaree in all aspects.

Well done khun Phasuk and the college.