It was a scam

Had an interesting one the other day.

Phone call from the PEA saying that they would be coming to change my electricity meter tomorrow at 11:00.

A bit of telephone 'ping pong' trying to get more details.

Asked the guy for his name and his manager's name and why change the meter?

(I have solar panels and turn the meter back during daylight.)

Guy said that he did not know why, but they would be changing 15 meters at the complex.

(That is about the number of houses that also have solar panels turning back the meters.)

Then the killer question.

"But why is the PEA doing this. We do not get our electricity from the PEA and they are not PEA meters?"

Our electricity is provided by the property developer - who also did not know what was going on. We checked.

Did not hear back from the 'PEA'.

No one changed the electricity meter.

At one point, we were put on hold. My business partner said that the music was a Burmese song.

My concern is - where did they get the private phone number and the house owner's name from.

No idea where the scam would have happened because we stopped it at the beginning, but I am sure that we would have been asked to download a 'PEA' link at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

i'm a bit confused,  was it actually a PEA employee trying to scam you ....   why the Burmese song when on hold ?   that is suspicious to me....    maybe not PEA at all .. 

did the caller even give you his full name ....  and his office telephone number ?   then you could check if it is in fact PEA.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

i'm a bit confused,  was it actually a PEA employee trying to scam you ....   why the Burmese song when on hold ?   that is suspicious to me....    maybe not PEA at all .. 

did the caller even give you his full name ....  and his office telephone number ?   then you could check if it is in fact PEA.

No - it was not the PEA.

We asked for more information etc.

The developer called the PEA. (I could not as I do not have an account with them.)

It seems to have been from a scam centre in Burma, hence the music. But is was a native Thai speaker.

The phone number does not exist any more.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

"But why is the PEA doing this. We do not get our electricity from the PEA and they are not PEA meters?"

Our electricity is provided by the property developer - who also did not know what was going on.

So where is the property developer getting the electricity from?

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Guy said that he did not know why, but they would be changing 15 meters at the complex.

(That is about the number of houses that also have solar panels turning back the meters.)

So if 15 houses are back-feeding electricity then where does that electricity ends up? Who is using it?