Transgender Valentina Responds to Critics After Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show Debut

Social Media

image.png

Valentina Sampaio, the first openly transgender model for Victoria's Secret, has responded to critics following her groundbreaking appearance at the iconic fashion show. Sampaio made her debut on Tuesday at the highly anticipated return of the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, which took place at the Duggal Greenhouse in Brooklyn Navy Yard, New York City. She shared the runway with fellow transgender model Alex Consani, marking the first time transgender women were featured in the show’s history. 

While many celebrated the moment as a step forward for inclusivity, not all fans were supportive of the decision. Despite the backlash, Sampaio expressed her joy and pride in achieving a lifelong dream. "It was a dream come true, one that so many people told me would be impossible for me to ever realize, and I just did," she told *TMZ*. For Sampaio, the moment was about more than just walking the runway. "It makes me feel seen, accepted, and valued for who I am as a person, as a professional."

She emphasized that her achievement symbolized progress not only for herself but for the broader transgender community. "It’s collectively a step forward in celebrating the rights of my community, to live and work with dignity," Sampaio said, adding, "We are here. We always have been here. And we always will be here."

Sampaio first made headlines in 2019 when she became Victoria’s Secret’s first transgender “Angel,” a term the company later retired in 2021 as part of an effort to redefine its image. That same year, the brand also canceled its annual fashion show amid mounting controversies and public criticism.

One of the controversies that surrounded Victoria’s Secret occurred in 2018, just hours before the fashion show. Ed Razek, the former chief marketing officer of the company, told *Vogue* that transgender and plus-sized models wouldn’t be cast because the event was intended to represent a "fantasy." He later apologized for the comment, calling it "insensitive," and retired from his role a year later.

Sampaio's journey to success has been remarkable. Born in the small village of Aquiraz in Northeastern Brazil, she was identified as transgender by a psychologist at the age of eight. By 12, she began going by the name Valentina and fully embracing her identity as a female. Her big break came when she graced the cover of *Vogue Paris* with the headline "Transgender Beauty," propelling her into the international spotlight.

As Sampaio continues to break barriers, her message is clear: her presence on the runway is part of a broader movement toward acceptance and visibility for the transgender community.

Based on a report from the NYP 2024-10-21

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png