Trump on Fox News Stands by Claims About Missing Geese in Springfield

Social Media

image.png

In a tense interview on Fox News' *Media Buzz* with Howard Kurtz, former President Donald Trump escalated his claims about Haitian immigrants, moving beyond the debunked allegation that they were eating pets to questioning the mysterious disappearance of geese in Springfield, Ohio. When pressed about the accuracy of his statements, Trump refused to back down, leading to a bizarre exchange that left the host and viewers puzzled.

The conversation began when Kurtz asked Trump if he would retract his earlier claims that Haitian immigrants were eating dogs—an assertion first made during a rally in Arizona. Trump responded by saying, "Well I don’t know if it’s true or not true," a statement that immediately caused Kurtz to seek clarification. “Eating the pets—you don’t know if it’s true or not true?” Kurtz repeated in disbelief.

Despite Kurtz’s repeated insistence that the claim had been debunked by officials, Trump held firm. "Well what about the goose, the geese? What about the geese? What happened there? They’re all missing," Trump countered, introducing a new twist to the story. His reference to missing geese appeared to stem from online rumors surrounding an image of a man in Ohio carrying two geese. However, local officials explained that the geese in question had been killed in a car accident, unrelated to any immigrant activity.

Trump offered no concrete evidence to support his new claim but said, "I read something," alluding to social media posts that acknowledged they lacked proof for the allegations. His vague reference to unverified reports fueled further speculation, with Trump insisting that something suspicious had occurred in Springfield, Ohio.

Kurtz, attempting to steer the conversation back to facts, reiterated that local officials had thoroughly debunked the story. "I think it’s been debunked by local officials," he said, giving Trump yet another opportunity to admit that the story was false.

However, Trump appeared increasingly frustrated by the line of questioning. “I don’t think it’s been debunked at all. I think nobody talks about it except you,” Trump responded, refusing to concede ground. He further shifted the blame, saying, “Why don’t you go after the newspaper that wrote it? Don’t blame me.”

The interview, which quickly went viral, comes in the wake of Trump’s ongoing legal troubles stemming from his original comments about Haitian immigrants. The Haitian Bridge Alliance, a group based in California, has filed charges against Trump and Ohio Senator JD Vance, accusing them of inciting public panic and making false claims that disrupted services in local communities. The group alleges that Trump’s inflammatory rhetoric has had real-world consequences, contributing to heightened tensions and fears within immigrant communities.

Trump’s comments about Springfield, Ohio, also touch on broader grievances he has expressed about immigration policy. He remarked, "The big problem is that you can’t put 30,000 people to a 50,000-person town or city and expect the city to survive or even do well. What they’ve done to Springfield, Ohio, is very very unfair." This statement echoes his long-held view that the U.S. is struggling to handle the influx of immigrants and that small towns, in particular, are disproportionately affected.

Despite the controversy, Trump has shown little interest in correcting the record or walking back his statements. Instead, he has doubled down on his claims, suggesting that other, yet-to-be-revealed stories could come to light in the future. "There are a lot of stories, and there are a lot of other stories that I’ve heard. I just haven’t said it. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t," Trump hinted, keeping the door open for more unverified claims to enter the public conversation.

As the 2024 election season intensifies, it’s clear that Trump’s strategy involves stoking controversy and questioning the narratives presented by mainstream media and local authorities. Whether his claims about the missing geese will resonate with voters remains to be seen, but his refusal to back down is consistent with his combative political style.

Based on a report from the Daily Beast 2024-10-23

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png