Sloppy Bangkok Policemen Are Being Ordered To Wear Bright Pink "hello Kitty" Armbands.

WaiWai

Reuters don't allow reproduction of their reports but the headline is " 'Hello Kitty' armbands to shame bad cops " - should take you straight there with a search.

Officers who are caught dropping litter, parking illegally or arrive late for work will have to wear the arm bands, which feature the Hello Kitty cat sitting on a pair of hearts :o .

The idea is to build discipline by not allowing less serious offences to pass unnoticed.

Fair enough - but why Hello Kitty ? What's the message about shame, exactly ? That they are silly, fluffy officers ? That Japanese cartoon characters are naughty ? Why the twin hearts ?

And did they get permission from Hello Kitty inc. ?

:D

Did they get permission from Hello Kitty Inc? Being thailand I doubt it.

I remember 3 or 4 years ago Singapore started making those who threw litter on the street sweep the streets wearing a bright orange jersey reading "I am a Litterbug" on them. Seems like one of the people sentenced thought that was "degrading" and tried to make Singapore stop his punishment on that basis. Singapore authorities didn't agree it was degrading but kindly agreed not to make him sweep the streets wearing the bright orange jersey. Instead they agreed on an alternative punishment. They simply caned him in a public ceremony.

Moral: Be careful of what you wish for, you might get it.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG