Koh Samet Beach/Hotel

chiang mai

Never been before so looking for recommendations for a good beach and an above average place to stay for a few days. Not interested in nightlife bars etc, just relaxing, swimming, pool, good food, service. Am OK with above average price....we need a holiday!

Ideas/recommendations, please?

TIA

23 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Never been before so looking for recommendations for a good beach and an above average place to stay for a few days. Not interested in nightlife bars etc, just relaxing, swimming, pool, good food, service. Am OK with above average price....we need a holiday!

Ideas/recommendations, please?

TIA

we use to stay at Malibu resort .... nothing fancy or expensive, but rooms are good and has a swimming pool ...  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, steven100 said:

we use to stay at Malibu resort .... nothing fancy or expensive, but rooms are good and has a swimming pool ...  

How's the beach? Is one beach better than another and if so, which is regarded as the nicest?

Sai Keaw Beach Resort - is one of the nicer resorts on the Island - but it's in the busier area of Sai Keaw beach.

On the opposite side (West), Ao Prao - its much quieter and there are a couple of quiet nice resorts there such as Ao Prao Resort.

Further down is a far higher end resort, Paradee - its expensive but very nice (apparently)

Ao Wong Duean beach used to be nice with nice beach front Bungalows at Samet Cabana resort, the last time I visited that beach last year, it was a shyite hole.

Anywhere near SilverSands is very loud at night.

On the North is Baan Ploy Sea...  its also quieter there, but also out of the way for restaurants. 

The last 4-5 times we've visited Koh Samet - we've stayed at Sai Keaw Beach Resort - basically because it does what it does quite well, while a lot of the rest of the island is a bit of a pit.

My second choice would be Ao Prao resort and hire a motorcycle to get about to the other side for dinner options (though Ao Prao has a couple of resorts so food options are available there).

• Thanks 1

OP .... I think your best to go there and have a look around to see which resort & beach suits.  

As there's so many of them to choose from.   Most of the beaches are quite nice, but it depends do you want peace and no tourists nearby or you want to be near the supermarket ... or bar or whatever.

Ao Prao is a bit pricey as it's more upmarket than others on the island.   

Also,  we stayed at Wongduan resort a few times,  it's right on the beach as most are. 

As I said,  if you can go and have a look then fine ....

get the boat over, then the pickup ...  get off at the beach and then walk along ...2..3 klms and see what you like,  I think Wongduen was further along so you would need the pickup ride again.  Malibu was about half way.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

OP .... I think your best to go there and have a look around to see which resort & beach suits.  

As there's so many of them to choose from.   Most of the beaches are quite nice, but it depends do you want peace and no tourists nearby or you want to be near the supermarket ... or bar or whatever.

Ao Prao is a bit pricey as it's more upmarket than others on the island.   

Also,  we stayed at Wongduan resort a few times,  it's right on the beach as most are. 

As I said,  if you can go and have a look then fine ....

get the boat over, then the pickup ...  get off at the beach and then walk along ...2..3 klms and see what you like,  I think Wongduen was further along so you would need the pickup ride again.  Malibu was about half way.  

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sai Keaw Beach Resort - is one of the nicer resorts on the Island - but it's in the busier area of Sai Keaw beach.

On the opposite side (West), Ao Prao - its much quieter and there are a couple of quiet nice resorts there such as Ao Prao Resort.

Further down is a far higher end resort, Paradee - its expensive but very nice (apparently)

Ao Wong Duean beach used to be nice with nice beach front Bungalows at Samet Cabana resort, the last time I visited that beach last year, it was a shyite hole.

Anywhere near SilverSands is very loud at night.

On the North is Baan Ploy Sea...  its also quieter there, but also out of the way for restaurants. 

The last 4-5 times we've visited Koh Samet - we've stayed at Sai Keaw Beach Resort - basically because it does what it does quite well, while a lot of the rest of the island is a bit of a pit.

My second choice would be Ao Prao resort and hire a motorcycle to get about to the other side for dinner options (though Ao Prao has a couple of resorts so food options are available there).

Many thanks for all of those things, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll let you know how it goes.  Cheers

3 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Many thanks for all of those things, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll let you know how it goes.  Cheers

I agree with Richard. Sai Keaw Beach Resort is great. Nice rooms, good pools, right on the nicest sandy beach, plenty of restaurants right on your doorstep. From your description of what you're looking for I don't think you can go wrong with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

One thing to add... 

IF you chose to go with the a hotel within the Samet Resorts group, all you need to do is drive to the Ao Prao Pier (which is specific for the Samet Resorts Group) and drop your bags off, then park your car there (at the pier)...  The staff will do all the rest, the (slow 30min) boat is inclusive, as is Song Taew transport on the island side, bags will be taken straight to your hotel you've no need to deal with the hassle of dragging them on and off boats etc...  

Hotels in the Samet Resorts group

https://www.samedresorts.com/

Map Link to Ao Prao Pier 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kddAuEHd7zwq7Y9d8

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One thing to add... 

IF you chose to go with the a hotel within the Samet Resorts group, all you need to do is drive to the Ao Prao Pier (which is specific for the Samet Resorts Group) and drop your bags off, then park your car there (at the pier)...  The staff will do all the rest, the (slow 30min) boat is inclusive, as is Song Taew transport on the island side, bags will be taken straight to your hotel you've no need to deal with the hassle of dragging them on and off boats etc...  

Hotels in the Samet Resorts group

https://www.samedresorts.com/

Map Link to Ao Prao Pier 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kddAuEHd7zwq7Y9d8

Icing on the cake....:)

Thank you Richard, Sai Keaw Beach Resort looks the most likely choice.