Georgia’s Election Sparks Tensions as Opposition Alleges Vote Fraud

Social Media

image.png

In a pivotal election that many viewed as Georgia’s defining moment on its path toward Europe, the ruling Georgian Dream party has claimed victory despite intense controversy and allegations of electoral fraud from opposition groups. With preliminary results showing Georgian Dream leading with 53% of the vote, based on 72% of ballots counted, the opposition decried the results, alleging manipulation and intimidation.

"Georgian elections going absolutely Russian as regime thugs stuff ballot boxes then beat up a guy that tries to film it."

Tina Bokuchava, head of the pro-EU opposition party United National Movement, stated, “We do not accept the results of these falsified elections,” a sentiment echoed by other opposition leaders. Nika Gvaramia, another prominent opposition figure, described the election process as a “constitutional coup” led by Georgian Dream to retain power after 12 years in government.

The Georgian Dream party, founded by billionaire Bidzina Ivanishvili, had framed its campaign around a “pragmatic” stance toward Russia, a narrative that gained traction as the EU suspended Georgia’s accession process, citing “democratic backsliding.” For many voters, the choice was stark—align with European integration or risk continued influence from Moscow. President Salome Zourabichvili, a vocal supporter of the opposition’s pro-EU stance, urged voters not to be intimidated, saying, “Don’t get scared. All this is just psychological pressure on you.”

Yet, despite Zourabichvili’s appeal, reports of intimidation and violence surfaced across Georgia. Azat Karimov, local chair of the United National Movement in Marneuli, recounted a violent encounter in which he was attacked by Georgian Dream affiliates as he investigated potential vote falsification. Karimov alleged that Georgian Dream officials bribed voters and engaged in ballot stuffing. “Before police could come, I told [the Georgian Dream councillor] to calm down. Right away the councillor started beating me,” he shared. Observers from My Vote, a coalition of 2,000 election monitors, reported widespread vote violations and condemned the results as unreflective of Georgian citizens’ will.

Exit polls suggested a tight race, with two polls from Edison and HarrisX for pro-opposition TV channels projecting Georgian Dream would receive 40.9% and 42% of the vote, while the combined opposition had a slight majority. In contrast, Imedi TV, a pro-government station, indicated Georgian Dream had 56%. This discrepancy has fueled accusations that the central election commission (CEC), which had promised 90% of results within two hours of polls closing, may have delayed the count to favor the ruling party.

Dritan Nesho of HarrisX criticized the CEC, stating, “The onus is on a government body to provide transparency required in an electoral process.” Nesho noted significant inconsistencies in precinct data, such as unusually high support for Georgian Dream in districts where the opposition’s support was expected to dominate.

Georgia’s political fate has attracted international attention, as Moscow continues to view much of the former Soviet sphere as part of its domain. Russia’s interest was evident as Georgian Dream promoted a “pragmatic” approach toward Moscow, appealing to the Kremlin by promising a restrained foreign policy and accusing the opposition of trying to create a “new front” for Western interests in Russia’s ongoing conflict with Ukraine. Sergei Naryshkin, head of Russia’s Foreign Intelligence Service (SVR), accused the United States of plotting a “Colour Revolution” in Georgia, claiming that Western nations sought to influence the election outcome.

For the opposition, however, the stakes go beyond mere political power. “This is the moment,” said Levan Benidze, an opposition supporter. “In future there may be no such moment. I know there are a lot of geopolitical risks—from Russia—but this could be the pivotal moment, a turning point.” Despite Georgian Dream’s claims of continued EU aspirations, the party’s “pragmatic” approach has raised doubts among citizens who believe that aligning with the West remains essential to Georgia’s democratic future.

As final results are awaited, Georgia faces a period of tension, with opposition leaders and their supporters demanding a path that aligns more closely with European values and less with the influence of Moscow.

Based on a report from the BBC 2024-10-28

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-4.png

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WDSmart said:

Oh, I thought this article was about the elections in the US state of Georgia.

I'd suggest that the AseanNow Forum save this headline so they can use it later. I'm sure, win or lose, the Republicans will claim voter fraud.

The way elections are run in the US leads to suspicions all round.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

The way elections are run in the US leads to suspicions all round.

I can imagine your reply.  All suspicions lead back to the Democrat Party.