Chonabot's Monsters!

Alrighty ! I posted a few photos of some of my Tarantulas a while back , here's a few more.

Hope you enjoy, if you have a problem with big furry spiders pease look elsewhere !

Also if you love rodents please don't be offended ! :D

Cheers !

Chon

H.minax - local to Thailand !

DSC01755.jpg

T.blondi/Goliath Birdeater - over 10 inches legspan !

Blondi1-1.jpg

H.lividum/Cobalt Blue - Another Thai special !

cobalt.jpg

C.crawshayi/King Baboon - a real beast !

crawshayi-1.jpg

P.metallica/Gooty sapphire - This one is worth £300 plus :D

Pmetallica02.jpg

Singapore Blue - very pretty lady !

singblue.jpg

P.irminia/Venezuelan suntiger

suntiger.jpg

A.versicolor - this is her real colour !

versicolor.jpg

Another versi - early juvie

versi.jpg

It's a girl/boy/girl/boy/girl...etc :o

babies.jpg

My son Tom with his Mantis 'Peter'

DSC01750.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my pics, I realise a lot of you will think 'Why?' , but hopefully also be openminded enough to realise it is a hobby that actually has encouraged the conservation and awareness of these fantastic creatures.

I am happy to answer any questions and even a few debates may be a laugh.

:D

ps the mouse was bought as pre-killed , it is illegal to feed vertebrates in the UK.

what's kind of food you feed them? Is it mealworm Tenebrio molitor L.?

(I need to update my knowledge) :D

Hey Bambina ! :o

It depends on the genus and the size, mealworms are good occasionally , but contain too much fat to be the staple diet.

Crickets,Locusts,cockroaches are the best, but with some variation.

[ and the odd mouse is a good treat if they've been very good boys..... :D ]

Thank you very much Chonabot and sweet Tom :o

I sometimes get hard questions from boys for instance,

Hi doc..How can i feed my cricket?

Hi doc..How can i feed my tarantula?

Hi doc..How can i feed my grasshopper?

Now I have a smart answer for them :D

However,what is cricket and grasshopper's food? :D

Thank you very much Chonabot and sweet Tom :o

Now I have a smart answer for them :D

They will eat maize/corn or any green vegetable, in fact goldfish food is a good diet for them , contains lots of nutrients that will be passed on to the.... :D

Also Tarantulas need water, it depends on what type of Tarantula as to how you offer the water. Terrestrial Tarantulas will need a bowl of water wheras Arboreals and Subterranean Tarantulas will be ok with being sprayed eery 3 days or so.

HTH

Chon

The P.metallica is lovely.

My pet hole seems to be doing well Chon, he's in a 14" X 14" tank, but I'm worried I'm not keeping it humid enough even with daily spraying as the whole lid is ventilated. How can I measure the humidity?

Haven't seen him her for a month, she's built the oddest home. At the top instead of being just a hole or a small lip it's built himself a 4-5 inch tube (looks exactly like the mountain in Close Encounters) and completely sealed the top with thick webbing. That made me think it might be too dry as well.

I'll take a pic of it this week.

edit: mixed up my pics. 300 quid for that beauty, might be a while before I get one! :o

Edited by bkkmadness

The P.metallica is lovely.

My pet hole seems to be doing well Chon, he's in a 14" X 14" tank, but I'm worried I'm not keeping it humid enough even with daily spraying as the whole lid is ventilated. How can I measure the humidity?

Haven't seen him her for a month, she's built the oddest home. At the top instead of being just a hole or a small lip it's built himself a 4-5 inch tube (looks exactly like the mountain in Close Encounters) and completely sealed the top with thick webbing. That made me think it might be too dry as well.

I'll take a pic of it this week.

edit: mixed up my pics. 300 quid for that beauty, might be a while before I get one! :o

Hi Bkk , gald to hear the Cobalt is doing well , I would perhaps tape over half of the lid with some masking tape, from the inside, sticky side up. Prhaps place a water dish inside as well to add to the water content of the atmosphere. You can get humidity guages but unless they cost over £200 they are usually pretty cr@p.

As she has sealed the top she must be ok inside otherwise she would be wandering about the top. Can't wait to see a pic !

I have 3 Cobalts now and a huge Minax, about 7 inches, a real freak !

Chon

I was thinking of shutting off some of the ventilation, with a plastic sheet or something but masking tape sounds good. I guess black plumbers tape (fits in more with the tank) will do?

You know I read on that spider forum that people always trying to prevent baby crickets from being born in the tank. And just the other week I noticed some. Why are they a problem?

Tank looks great, a 14" X 14" plot of Thailand including local wildlife in the middle of the big city. :D

Battling the farang land ownership laws and winning piece by piece! :o

Thank you very much Chonabot and sweet Tom :D

Now I have a smart answer for them :bah:

They will eat maize/corn or any green vegetable, in fact goldfish food is a good diet for them , contains lots of nutrients that will be passed on to the.... :D

Also Tarantulas need water, it depends on what type of Tarantula as to how you offer the water. Terrestrial Tarantulas will need a bowl of water wheras Arboreals and Subterranean Tarantulas will be ok with being sprayed eery 3 days or so.

HTH

Chon

:bah:

ye might want to note that elsewhere on the pets forum folks are giving away free kittens... :o:D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 1 month later...

I normally don't care for spiders, in person or in pictures. So, I gingerly opened your post and peeked through my half-closed eyes, through my fingers.

However, I dropped my jaw, (and fingers) and couldn't help ogling at those spectacularly-colored arachnids; particularly the bright blue ones. Unbelievable. OK, I'm almost a convert. :o

Nope, just sling the crickets in. I'm a bit more relaxed around her now, as long as she stays in her burrow I don't mind opening the lid a little to chuck some crickets in. The tank is a reasonable size too and the dirt at the front is quite sloped down so I think it would be awkward for her to get to the open part of the lid when I feed her. Still not taking any chances though!

It'll be getting a mouse next week, but all I can see at the local shops are Russian hamsters and I'm a bit loathe to pay out the extra for a 'pedigree hamster' when it's only going to last 5 mins. :o